Windows 10: Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist

Discus and support Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently downloaded some files I made from OneDrive for Computer Science Homework, and Windows Defender was telling me some were trojans and PUAs,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CamdenHassanpour, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist

I recently downloaded some files I made from OneDrive for Computer Science Homework, and Windows Defender was telling me some were trojans and PUAs, even though I'm sure they aren't. I was able to solve most of my problems, I had to make exceptions for a folder I have in OneDrive and for the OneDriveTemp folder

Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist 6cda58a0-0de4-42bb-94c5-a802e3c55bd0?upload=true.png

However, one problem hasn't gone away. Windows defender keeps telling me that it's found a PUA in the OneDriveTemp folder. When I look into the folder, the file it's mentioning isn't there. I've enabled "Show Hidden Items" and looked using WinDirStat and the Command Prompt. It simply doesn't seem to be there

Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist 501dac3d-dc41-4633-afcb-9863d4503593?upload=true.png

Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist 7d121c86-b68e-46a8-af7a-589f616a92c8?upload=true.png

I can fix it by just simply making the mystery file allowed on my device, but I'm afraid that might come back to haunt me. Is there any way I can get rid of that message for good, or is it ok to have this exception?

:)

CamdenHassanpour, Sep 13, 2020
  2. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Bree Win User

Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist

Windows Defender PUA feature?

I disagree. Enabling PUA protection in Defender will scan anything save to your Downloads folder for PUAs, adware and unwanted browser extensions (things like the Ask Toolbar) stuff you often find bundled within the install packages from some of the sites offering popular software. It's similar to the sort of protection afforded by Malwarebytes Premium (the paid-for one) - real-time protection against PUPs.

While Microsoft aim PUA protection firmly at the Enterprise environment (and provide Enterprise tools to manage it) it can be enabled on anything, right down to my 10 Home. There's a Tutorial on this....
    Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10

...and starting at post #19 on in that thread I describe my experiences of enabling and testing that it works in Home. I leave it enabled permanently, I've not seen any false detections. Here's some of my test results...

Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist [​IMG]

Thema:

Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist

1. Windows Defender bugging me about PUA that doesn't exist - Similar Threads - Defender bugging PUA

2. PUA not deleted or quarantined by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PUA not deleted or quarantined by Windows Defender: Windows Defender scan has picked up three different PUA. I use start actions but it is still on my laptop OS windows 10 Pro and active https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pua-not-deleted-or-quarantined-by-windows-defender/f6d0cb27-400c-4e9e-81bd-1d5b955837d0
  3. PUA not deleted or quarantined by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PUA not deleted or quarantined by Windows Defender: Windows Defender scan has picked up three different PUA. I use start actions but it is still on my laptop OS windows 10 Pro and active https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pua-not-deleted-or-quarantined-by-windows-defender/f6d0cb27-400c-4e9e-81bd-1d5b955837d0
  4. Troubleshoot Defender, PUA help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshoot Defender, PUA help: I have a thread over HERE on some help with some kernel errors/BSODs and the kind gentleman helping me asked me to request some troubleshooting with Windows Defender and to ask for @Ramesh Srinivasan.Unfortunately, I dont know what kind of help i need: Anyone available to...
  5. Windows defender found PUA

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender found PUA: A weird question but anyway I have F-secure installed. I know that Windows Defender does not work with F-secure. But I did a full scan of my computer with Windows Defender because I got a blue screen earlier and wanted to do a scan with another program too just in...
  6. Windows Defender finds Threats but doesn't remove/quarantine a PUA and a Virus

Windows Defender finds Threats but doesn't remove/quarantine a PUA and a Virus: When I find a PUA and a virus and try to do ether Remove or Quarantine it just says "We are taking action but THEN THE RESULTS COME IN AND THE PUA Potential Unwanted App AND THE VIRUS DOESN'T GO AWAY. here is the detailed information about the virus and PUA Potential Unwanted...
  7. Windows Defender PUA Protection

Windows Defender PUA Protection: Some Reason can't get our 2nd Desktop PC to keep on with Windows Defender Pua Protection, Avast was removed with Wise Uninstaller, rebooted system, used Avast clear in safe mode as additional step, then ran ConfigureDefenderx64 to configure Defender, made sure enabled Pua...
  8. WIndows defender doesn't exist all of a sudden.

WIndows defender doesn't exist all of a sudden.: I was working on my computer as usual, when suddenly I realized that there was no windows defender icon in the system tray. When I tried opening it, through Windows Security in the start menu, it showed an empty screen. In settings, It showed there was no antivirus in my...
  9. Windows Defender blocking PUA?

Windows Defender blocking PUA?: Few questions about blocking PUA in Windows Defender. I enabled the prevention or blocking of PUAs and would like to ask how intrusive the notifications are? Are there a lot of false positives? I only download and install apps which I really need, no Java installed and...
  10. Windows Defender PUA feature?

Windows Defender PUA feature?: WD has this new feature called PUA. Is this for domain environments or can this be done on a standalone Win10 Enterprise? Or is this needed on a standalone system? I know it has to be enabled in the registry. If enabled, how will this effect the use of a machine? Will...