Windows 10: Windows Defender cannot be started

Discus and support Windows Defender cannot be started in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, today i did two things: Installed malwarebytes just to run a single scan, and also windows update installed two updates... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AzirJusufi, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Windows Defender cannot be started

Hi, today i did two things:
    Installed malwarebytes just to run a single scan, and also windows update installed two updates

-windows-10-update-kb4566782

-kb4569745-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

after this i uninstalled malwarebytes since i didnt wanted to interrupt the default windows antivirus from microsoft, and ofcourse had to restart pc for updates to take effect.

The updates were installed successfully, the first thing i noticed upon first logon, task manager was disabled , ok i thought to give another restart, now the task manager is ok , but windows defender seems to be a problem now, i looked through diferent answers and none of them resolves the issue in my case.
    when i goto Services Windows Defender Firewall says Disabled and gives u zero options to modify its settings. like enable, start, restart, they all greyed out. i hae no idea what happened or what caused this, maybe that malwarebytes deleted some registry values of windefend.

here some screenshots:
    Windows Defender cannot be started 6157d825-0084-4a5d-9a76-8a8ac724b312?upload=true.png

now when i goto Settings, Update and Security, Windows Security, see the image below:

Windows Defender cannot be started 0d394ede-f509-4eb1-b13d-4f3b1f5180da?upload=true.png

i am a windows user for many years and know many things already, but this one throw me out, Thanks for any help.

:)

AzirJusufi, Aug 16, 2020

2. window defender

• You will want to print these instructions for offline reference -
    IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP perform all Steps in one uninterrupted session - If a Step says to reboot
    reboot.

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Pləase let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains.

• `~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Aug 16, 2020
  3. Jay Jap Win User
    Windows Defender Anitvirus

Hello,

There are multiple reasons why you are having issues, enabling Windows Defender. To assist you with your concern, you can refer to
    PrashantKumar96's
    Forum Article
    on how to fix Windows Defender not starting.

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps listed there, especially the number six troubleshooting step.

Let us know of the outcome.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Aug 16, 2020
  4. Windows Defender cannot be started

Windows Defender problem

Hi Ernst,

To troubleshoot this issue, we suggest that you check the Windows Defender service if it's running. If you are using a third party spyware/malware program, it may disable the Windows Defender service. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type services.msc.
    • Right-click Windows Defender service and click
      Start.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender cannot be started

1. Windows Defender cannot be started - Similar Threads - Defender cannot started

2. Cannot start Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot start Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016.: Hello.I have a PowerEdge server at home, that I nought some time ago, and have tried troubleshooting all of the problems it had. Now its fully operational and works pretty well. The guy before me used it for databases probably, but he did not take care to properly clean the...
  3. Cannot start Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot start Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016.: Hello.I have a PowerEdge server at home, that I nought some time ago, and have tried troubleshooting all of the problems it had. Now its fully operational and works pretty well. The guy before me used it for databases probably, but he did not take care to properly clean the...
  4. I cannot start windows defender firewall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot start windows defender firewall.: The start of this problem was when I wanted to install the Xbox Gamepass app. Every time I tried to install it however. I get this error screen: Looks like something went wrongWe weren't able to install the app 0x80073D0AAfter doing some research, one of the possible fixes...
  5. I cannot start windows defender firewall.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot start windows defender firewall.: The start of this problem was when I wanted to install the Xbox Gamepass app. Every time I tried to install it however. I get this error screen: Looks like something went wrongWe weren't able to install the app 0x80073D0AAfter doing some research, one of the possible fixes...
  6. I cannot start windows defender firewall.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Windows Defender Disabled cannot be started/greyed out

Windows Defender Disabled cannot be started/greyed out: Hi, today i did two things: Installed malwarebytes just to run a single scan, and also windows update installed two updates -windows-10-update-kb4566782 -kb4569745-cumulative-update-for-net-framework after this i uninstalled malwarebytes since i didnt wanted to interrupt...
  8. windows defender cannot be start.

windows defender cannot be start.: I cannot start windows defender. It say “unexpected error. sorry, we ran into a problem. please try again”. I tried several workarounds I found in this forum and other forums: Remove other antiVirus/AntiSpayware programs -> I never had any... Enable default Administrator...
  9. Windows defender offline scanning cannot start

Windows defender offline scanning cannot start: Offline scanner cannot start even on a standalone USB scanner. Offline scanner returned a error message said "The System drive or Windows system cannot be found". My Windows system is located on a SSD! It can start normally! Please suggest! Regards, David Suen...
  10. Cannot start windows defender

Cannot start windows defender: I am unable to start windows defender via the security center nor the services window Looking at the event log (system) all I see is this: The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service failed to start due to the following error: The parameter is incorrect. Try to start...