Windows 10: Windows defender cannot start offline scan after update Windows 20H2

Discus and support Windows defender cannot start offline scan after update Windows 20H2 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I find windows defender improved much better than its performance in the past 5 years, with its off-line scan function especially good to find and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by J.Kuo, Feb 15, 2021.

1. J.Kuo Win User

Windows defender cannot start offline scan after update Windows 20H2

I find windows defender improved much better than its performance in the past 5 years, with its off-line scan function especially good to find and remove some deep viruses. But I find surprisingly that its off-line function is no more working after upgrade into Windows 10 20H2. what happened? Why??? If there is a solution to restore my off-line scan function?

:)

J.Kuo, Feb 15, 2021
  2. jsfitz54 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Feb 15, 2021
  3. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

Restored the Macrium Image and got my Recovery partitions back:

Windows defender cannot start offline scan after update Windows 20H2 [​IMG]

So as expected, I had a bunch of updates to do:

After the updates, I gave Microsoft Defender Offline a try and it worked!

And this just shows that I'm back at the latest version build of 20H2:

This one was my fault and I admit I was the culprit of my own troubles. It was just a coincidence that I used Partition Wizard around the same time the Cumulative Updates were going on from Oct 28th to November 11th and it gave me the suspicion to suspect them being responsible for the Offline scan problem.

I mean who the heck would of ever thought that a Recovery Partition would have anything to do with an Offline Scan in an Online world?

A special thanks to OldNavyGuy for his suggestion that a Windows Recovery Partition being deleted was the problem.

EyeInTheSky, Feb 15, 2021
  4. Jorge Tan Win User

offline scan by win defender

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern with Windows Defender, follow the steps below:

• Open the Run window by pressing Window + R button.
    • Then type services.msc and hit "Enter".
    • Look for Windows defender service in the list and right click on it and select start.
    • Once Windows defender is opened try to do the offline scan on that window.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows defender cannot start offline scan after update Windows 20H2 - Similar Threads - defender cannot start

2. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  3. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  4. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  5. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  6. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting

Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting: Everything is up to date and even did a fixdsk. It acts like it's starting but never actually starts that I can tell. Usually it starts and does a scan on reboot.I need to check my other computers to see if this is a widespread issue....
  8. Windows defender offline scan doenst start

Windows defender offline scan doenst start: I click on the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device", and when I click Yes, it goes back to the Windows Defender GUI without running the scan. Is there a way to fix this?...
  9. Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting

Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting: Offline scans suddenly stopped working. I can initiate an offline scan in the usual way (Virus & Threat Detection > Options > Windows Defender Offline Scan), and I get the usual popup that tells me the computer is going to restart, and it does restart, but instead of seeing...
  10. Windows defender offline scanning cannot start

Windows defender offline scanning cannot start: Offline scanner cannot start even on a standalone USB scanner. Offline scanner returned a error message said "The System drive or Windows system cannot be found". My Windows system is located on a SSD! It can start normally! Please suggest! Regards, David Suen...