Windows 10: Windows defender can't be turned on after cloning hdd to new ssd?

Discus and support Windows defender can't be turned on after cloning hdd to new ssd? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I switched Windows Defender off before cloning because I was having problems and it was one of the many "fixes" online. Eventually it worked and I was... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BigBrownShoe, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Windows defender can't be turned on after cloning hdd to new ssd?

I switched Windows Defender off before cloning because I was having problems and it was one of the many "fixes" online. Eventually it worked and I was able to clone my hdd to my new ssd.

I then go to turn Windows defender back on and I can't. It says "This setting is managed by your administrator". So I try plugging my hdd back in and booting from it but now I can't even turn it on from that drive and have the same red message above the option. Everything else appears to be working normally.

Thank you.

:)

BigBrownShoe, Nov 15, 2020

2. Clone HDD to a SSD

I'm planing to upgrade my new laptop HDD to SSD while using my HDD as a storage media on my laptop. My laptop came with windows 10 Home OEM. If I cloned the HDD will the windows be activated after I
    cloned or will it be deactivated?? And what happend to other activated softwares like MS Office and Antivirus Softwares???

Thank you for your support.

Kasun Anuradha, Nov 15, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD

Hi Nick

The only real way to do this successfully is clone everything onto the SSD, then boot from that SSD and move your user folders (Documents . . .etc to the HDD

Alternatively, move all your documents to another folder on that HDD, then omit that from the cloning operation, you can then clone the drive, and later link back into those documents in that folder . . .

DaveM121, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Smears Win User

Windows defender can't be turned on after cloning hdd to new ssd?

Restore Image or Clone from HDD to new SSD?

I have a single, non-partitioned (C:\ drive only) 500GB HDD in a desktop PC, using approx. 80 percent of it. I want to install a 500GB SSD, and clone or restore an image of the HDD to it. Once that's complete and successful, I plan to wipe the 500GB HDD
    and then move my large libraries of media from the newly installed SSD to it. My future holds lots of video editing and compiling, so the extra storage will help, along with the better performance via the SSD (and upgraded RAM as well).

I'm unable to find after much research a definitive answer as to whether cloning the HDD to the SSD is better than restoring an image of the HDD to the SSD. I've read where cloning will carry over bad sectors and such where imaging will not. I think I'm
    leaning toward image restore, keeping a copy of it on an external 1TB drive I have, to which I can periodically do image backups of the new, separate drives.

I'd also like to find a tutorial re: the same. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smears, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows defender can't be turned on after cloning hdd to new ssd?

1. Windows defender can't be turned on after cloning hdd to new ssd? - Similar Threads - defender can't turned

2. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  3. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  4. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Window clone HDD To SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window clone HDD To SSD: Hello firstly window runs on HDD after I did clone the window HDD to SSD he has done it successfully but the EFI system partition can't migrate to SSD. I want to run a complete window partition on SSD 250GB. Activated os windows10 Thank you...
  6. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  7. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  8. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  9. Can't start off new SSD after cloned from HDD

Can't start off new SSD after cloned from HDD: I bought a new Samsung 250gb 850 evo SSD, and installed it. I do not have a Windows 10 install disk, so I just cloned it from my old HDD to the new SSD. Now I can't start up my computer with that SSD. The error it states says: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert...
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058