Windows 10: Windows Defender causes BSOD on occassions

Discus and support Windows Defender causes BSOD on occassions in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have a purpose built computer which is 2-3 months old and when I have been running Windows Defender on full scan I have been getting various... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TommyMQ, Feb 10, 2020.

1. TommyMQ Win User

Windows Defender causes BSOD on occassions

Hi,

I have a purpose built computer which is 2-3 months old and when I have been running Windows Defender on full scan I have been getting various BSOD messages.

I have ran the memory diagonsitic tool, chkdsk, sfc. ran windows update and manually went through all my drivers to make sure they were updated by device manager 'search automatically for updated driver software'.

I then decided to re-install windows doing a complete fresh install of windows 10 and removed the 2nd internal drive which was connected to the computer which seemed to improve things as previously defender crashed the majority of the time mainly giving a memory management bsod, however on occasions others also came up.

I am currently slowly installing my software and scanning on full to try to determine what could be causing the issue. Upto tonight windows defender has run ok on full scan not crashing at all, however tonight after re-installing spotify it ran 4 times ok out of 6 but did 2 crashes.

One crash occurred when running defender on full scan and closing spotify down where I received a memory management bsod and then I tested it again doing another full scan and it worked fine. On the 3rd full scan after this for the test I was looking at the internet and I received a IRQL BSOD while defender was running. After this I did another full scan with no other programs running.

Is this a windows defender bug that it will occassionally crash as the full scan seems to be the main bearer of my problems and crashes rather than other software installed.

:)

TommyMQ, Feb 10, 2020
  2. hoax32 Win User

BSOD Hardware Caused???

K...5 hours of mem test = no problems... *Wtf :wtf:
    Could a bad bettry pack cause it to BSOD?
    Windows suggested me to replace the battery pack soon!
    And btw....BSOD only happens on about every 5th boot up.....never during windows (played 5 hours CoD and let the unit stay on for 24 hours)....so I doubt that its a hardware problem :/
    There should be nor reason, why a CPU would fail at a simple task like a bootup but not during CPU stress tests or gaming...

hoax32, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Win 10 Defender Full Scan Causes BSOD

Garry,

I hadn't realized earlier that you were still attempting to work with ZigZag3143 regarding the BSOD, since with the files he needs he could better help to determine which specific driver might be involved or whether there might be other possible methods
    to troubleshoot the problem.

Based on your latest post, I found the following page which describes a set of steps to troubleshoot what appears to be the same BSOD message you are experiencing. Though I'd work with ZigZag3143 to try and determine which steps might be most valid in your
    case first, the steps mentioned in that article would be basically the same with any mention of Windows 8 replaced by Windows 10, so they might aid in your discussions once you've got more information.

http://www.troubleshootwindows.com/...g-timeout-stop-bluescreen-error-in-windows-8/

You'll notice that the article specifically mentions the possible steps regarding SSD drives and includes both driver and BIOS settings relating to these, as well as potentially secure erasing the drive and reinstalling Windows as a last resort.

I wouldn't recommend running off and trying all of these steps without trying to get more information from ZigZag first, though beginning the process of checking the manufacturer's website for the most current AHCI and related drivers for your system would
    be useful regardless.

I'd personally suspect based on everything I've seen about this BSOD error so far that since these are most typically caused by driver or corruption issues, the steps presented regarding these are the most likely to fix the problem. However, getting as
    much information as possible before simply starting down the list of steps might save you time or other undesired side effects of whatever is truly causing your situation.

As a final note, it's possible that overheat of the processor is aggravating the situation, but from the above I doubt it's the primary cause. That's due to the fact that in most cases an overheating processor will cause the PC to shut down, not BSOD and
    restart as is happening in your case and is better explained by the article link above.

Rob

Rob Koch, Feb 10, 2020
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Random BSOD while browsing internet

BitDefender is nothing special. mwac.sys causes BSODs anywhere.
    A tiny documentation can be found here: Solved Random BSODs - Windows 10 Forums
    In that very thread, the suggested action apparently worked.

The storage and network filters of any third party antivirus can cause BSODs. Neither MBAM nor BitDefender is any special. For a regular antivirus, it may be shifted to an alternative; but MBAM has no alternative. So a clean install of the said program is the most feasible first step.
    As far as the first step is not failing, it is better to not think for the second step. Because the BSODs are not universal, failure at the first step is not universal; and success at the second step is also not universal.
    That is why I posted that my suggestion may work, or may not. Let us see where it goes.

Thema:

1. Windows Defender causes BSOD on occassions - Similar Threads - Defender causes BSOD

2. Windows defender causing BSODS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows defender causing BSODS: Hi,I've been having daily BSODS for about 6 months now that happen 2-3 hours after using the PC. I've checked hardware and completely reinstalled all of it, checked ram with memtest for 8 clears each stick, ran sfc scans, chkdsk, all turn up with no problems. I've reinstalled...
  3. Windows defender causing BSODS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender causing BSODS: Hi,I've been having daily BSODS for about 6 months now that happen 2-3 hours after using the PC. I've checked hardware and completely reinstalled all of it, checked ram with memtest for 8 clears each stick, ran sfc scans, chkdsk, all turn up with no problems. I've reinstalled...
  4. Windows defender causing BSODS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cause of BSOD

Cause of BSOD: Hello And Thankyou in Advance for Assisting me! Hardware Immediately installed on mobo/necessary for build1. Ryzen 2700x CPU 2. GTX 1080 Founders Edition 3. Set of Corsair Vengeance RGB 16G sticks 4. Crucial m.2 SSD 5. Samsung 1 Tb SSd 6. Corsair RM650 power supply The...
  6. Win32 virus cannot be removed by Windows defender, it causes BSoD

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win32 virus cannot be removed by Windows defender, it causes BSoD: [IMG] As you can see, Defender shows that I have a win32 virus! but I cannot do anything about it, cannot remove it using defender neither manually. I tried to use another antivirus, but that virus makes my laptop really slow and unresponsive, a minute or two after windows...
  7. Update Causing Problems With Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update Causing Problems With Windows Defender: Just read this on Google News. Luckly mine hadn't updated and I put it on a hold for 7 days. Security Intelligence 1.313.1638.0. Microsoft has just broken Windows 10’s antivirus protection – apply this fix straight away | TechRadar - - - Updated - - - Already replaced with...
  8. BSOD- Cause

BSOD- Cause: I have been having massive problems with my Laptop constant BSOD/ no bootable device errors. The SSD with the OS was replaced a week ago and I had no bluescreens since then. I thought this had fixed the issue. Unfortunately I was forced to install windows 1909 and every time...
  9. Windows Defender causing issues

Windows Defender causing issues: Hello! Recently im getting more and more annoyed by the Windows Defender as it takes up 100% CPU by now and i cant open the Service Center because nothing happens when i click it. I cant restart the Service Center Service either because its greyed out for me and i cant...
  10. BSOD on startup - possibly caused by Windows Defender

BSOD on startup - possibly caused by Windows Defender: I am experiencing constant BSOD shortly after startup after upgrading to the latest Windows 10 Preview Build(10532). It was happening in 10525, went away after restoring to retail build, then came back when upgrading to 10532. I've included a mini-dump. The BSOD goes away...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender causes bsod