Windows 10: Windows Defender closing Essential Program

Discus and support Windows Defender closing Essential Program in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there. I have been having troubles opening a program I need to file my taxes because I suspect Windows Defender terminates the program every time... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by hanaseayase, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Windows Defender closing Essential Program

Hi there.

I have been having troubles opening a program I need to file my taxes because I suspect Windows Defender terminates the program every time I open it. I would like to mention that the program is provided by our Bureau of Internal Revenue, and it contains the forms for filing taxes. The program can be found here. There are no other substitute programs for this purpose.

I have successfully installed multiple versions of this program on my PC and they all have the same problem. If I attempt to run the program, even as Admin, the cursor will indicate a "loading animation" for 2 seconds, then nothing will happen. When I check the Task Manager to observe the program, it seem that Windows Defender activity goes from 0% to 0.3-0.8% in CPU activity every time I attempt to open the program. Otherwise, it just stays at 0%. So it seems that Windows Defender terminates this program before it opens.

I would like to know how to prevent Windows Defender terminating this program. I tried to whitelist it by adding an exclusion in Windows Security, but nothing gets added on the list for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

:)

hanaseayase, Jan 24, 2020

2. Windows 10 Windows Defender versus Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi Bryan,

Microsoft Security Essentials was upgraded to Windows defender and it was a default security software from Windows 8. You cannot have both as they are one.

Since you get this annoying popup at the startup i suggest you to disable any Microsoft Security Essentials entries in Startup tab.

• Open the Task manager. by pressing Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • click on Startup tab
    • Right click on Microsoft Security Essentials entry and click on Disable.

Restart the computer and check if that helps.

Waseemulla S, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Security Essentials Windows Defender error 0x80070002 after upgrading to Windows 10

windows defender is part of the windows 8/10 operating system now so should be on the c drive with the rest of the windows files. possibly when you upgraded security essentials came over with it and is conflicting. first I would make sure that security essentials
    or the old defender are not listed in programs and features. if they are listed run the uninstall. The built in defender will not be listed.

Also try:

• Stop Windows Update service
    • clear C:\Windows\Temp and %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp
    • rename the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old (this will be recreated when you restart the service.
    • restart Windows Update service
    • try updating Windows Defender again

David Feifer, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Windows Defender closing Essential Program

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender closing Essential Program

1. Windows Defender closing Essential Program - Similar Threads - Defender closing Essential

2. Windows defender closing most programs instantly after launch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender closing most programs instantly after launch: As the title says, things such as games from steam, to even the sound settings are closed about 3 seconds after launching. I tried disabling windows firewall. And the issue went away. Of course i would rather have it enabled, but I am rather stumped. Literally NOTHING...
  3. Windows Defender closes itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender closes itself: Hey everyone! The other day, I was trying to download a file that one of my friends sent to me. I downloaded it, but it got instantly deleted by Windows Defender. I know that it's not a virus, so I tried to enable it in Windows Defender. the option called "allow on device"...
  4. Windows closes programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows closes programs: Windows 10 latest update caused an issue where windows will act like i clicked the x icon sometimes it takes a few to close. How does one fix this without reinstalling and is anyone else having the same issue? Im on mobile and i cant pull up the system info because of this. I...
  5. Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off

Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off: Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off. When I try a Quick scan it always stops with the message: "Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped" The Support info gives: "Error code: 0x800106ba" This only started happening today....
  6. Windows Defender closing automatically

Windows Defender closing automatically: Hi there I have this problem with Windows Defender it closes itself after almost 5:00 after being activated. I have no antivirus and not planning to get one. Tried with the Demo version with Kaspersky and nothing was found. Here are the screen shots from the "Event Log"...
  7. Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender

Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender: I have been running Win10 for a couple of years now and have depended on Windows Defender as my anti-virus protection along with Malware Bytes. So far no problems. While surfing this morning a came across an articled which implied Defender alone needed the company of Windows...
  8. Defender closes open programs

Defender closes open programs: Running windows defender when leaving computer. When return the next day, chrome and outlook have been closed, and computer is back to login screen. Because not looking at computer untill following day, not sure if it is closing the programs at beginning, middle, or end...
  9. Closing programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing programs: Having Window 10 is cool but I need to know why I can't close Yahoo Messenger and Skype. "Quit Skype" is in a black area on Skype and "Sign Out" in Yahoo messenger is the same. I cannot close these 2 programs, they are not Apps, when I am ready to shut down the computer. Does...
  10. Programs Closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs Closing: I'm not an expert, so please go easy on me. My main problem is programs suddenly close. When using a browser (Firefox or Chrome) the program will close. Approx every 3-5 minutes. However, there are times it will stay open for significantly longer. I've tried using Firefox...