Windows 10: Windows defender closing most programs instantly after launch

Discus and support Windows defender closing most programs instantly after launch in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title says, things such as games from steam, to even the sound settings are closed about 3 seconds after launching. I tried disabling windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Nomadic___, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Windows defender closing most programs instantly after launch

As the title says, things such as games from steam, to even the sound settings are closed about 3 seconds after launching. I tried disabling windows firewall. And the issue went away.

Of course i would rather have it enabled, but I am rather stumped. Literally NOTHING changed for this to happen. Not settings changes or updates, no new programs, nothing at all.

Since then I've updated drivers and windows, looked to repair, which said it was unable to. So I'm not sure what's going on here so looking for some advice!

submitted by /u/Nomadic___
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Nomadic___, Mar 12, 2021

2. Windows defender closing instantly

Not so long ago I had some problems and reinstalled windows. There were some problems after installing, mainly that the taskbar is missing some of it's functions. I now tried to run an experimental .exe file but an error message came up saying "Operation
    did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software." I knew what I was doing so I decided to add an exception to Windows Defender. But as I ran it through Settings it just opened a blank window then instantly closed.
    What do I do? I don't want to reinstall again.

EDIT: I should add that there were no problems while installing.

ChristianSchau, Mar 12, 2021
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Mar 12, 2021
  4. Windows defender closing most programs instantly after launch

Windows Defender isn't initializing.

Hi Abdul,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I suggest you to Set Windows Defender to Automatic - You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these
    steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.
    • Search for Windows defender.
    • Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.
    Also, follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Mar 12, 2021
Thema:

Windows defender closing most programs instantly after launch

1. Windows defender closing most programs instantly after launch - Similar Threads - defender closing programs

2. Can't Launch Google Chrome or Firefox. They close instantly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Launch Google Chrome or Firefox. They close instantly.: I have had LOTS of issues trying to launch Google Chrome and Firefox. Whenever I launch the browser it instantly closes within 1-2 seconds. I've messed with MSConfig and disabling and enabling non-windows services to try and stop the interference but it didn't work. I then...
  3. When i launch windows defender it closes instantly?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When i launch windows defender it closes instantly?: I have done everything update my drivers update my pc Did sfc/scannow It just doesnt work any idea how can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-launch-windows-defender-it-closes-instantly/e08427c8-4643-4930-8c06-f9dfbe985aab
  4. When i launch windows defender it closes instantly?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When i launch windows defender it closes instantly?: I have done everything update my drivers update my pc Did sfc/scannow It just doesnt work any idea how can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-launch-windows-defender-it-closes-instantly/e08427c8-4643-4930-8c06-f9dfbe985aab
  5. When i launch windows defender it closes instantly?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Some programs and windows close immediately after launching

Some programs and windows close immediately after launching: Some programs such as Microsoft Edge, some games and windows close a few seconds after launching. Some programs that work are Firefox, Discord, Task Manager. Settings work normally, but i can not run troubleshooter, because it closes immediately after start, I can check...
  7. Windows 10's WMP closes instantly upon launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10's WMP closes instantly upon launch: Windows 10's (v21H1 Build 19043.1110) WMP (v12.0.19041.1110) closes instantly upon launch. I have tried as many of the "solutions" available online to no avail. I feel most comfortable with this player, so I am not looking for an alternative. I did try something new today. I...
  8. Windows 10's WMP closes instantly upon launch

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10's WMP closes instantly upon launch: Windows 10's v21H1 Build 19043.1110 WMP v12.0.19041.1110 closes instantly upon launch. I have tried as many of the "solutions" available online to no avail. I feel most comfortable with this player, so I am not looking for an alternative.I did try something new today. I...
  9. WPA closes instantly - upon launch

in Windows 10 Support
    WPA closes instantly - upon launch: I had some error causing Windows Performance Analyzer to crash upon launch. I did clean install and it worked, but now it doesn't work again (different error) LOL... Ofc. 3 search engines coldn't find anything about Event Viewer errors - classic... And I don't know how...
  10. Most programs freeze and crash instantly after opening them

Most programs freeze and crash instantly after opening them: The title says it all, almost all programs that I have installed will open, freeze instantly and then crash to desktop after a bit. This is also happening to a lot of window's own programs. However certain programs like Steam or GeForce experience will still work. I have...