Windows 10: Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly

Discus and support Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have Windows server 2016, In which we are using windows defender. During full scan of windows defender CPU usage is 100%. To limit CPU usage i have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SharathKumar5, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly

I have Windows server 2016, In which we are using windows defender. During full scan of windows defender CPU usage is 100%.

To limit CPU usage i have edited group policy and set cpu usage to 30 but still it is not working and cpu usage reached 100% during full scan.

Note: i also tried using power shell script and regedit.

Can anyone please help me how to reduce CPU usage while running full scan of windows defender

:)

SharathKumar5, Aug 14, 2020
  2. Jeroen HD Win User

Windows Defender - high CPU and disk usage

Thank you very much for your quick response. I've taken all steps you suggested. This is the outcome:

• Add a process exclusion

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I added both a path and a process exclusion now.The task scheduler for
    • Defender looks like this for me:

Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly 500e27c6-8f11-48d6-9b5f-12b278352fcf.png

• It seems no Defender tasks have run since June 30th, yet the process continues to hog the CPU
    • I re-ran SFC /scannow. SFC could not find any integrity violations
    • I tried disabling behaviour monitoring. The setting did not persist across a reboot, and turning it off did not make a difference while my system was still running.

This was the output for Powershell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-MpPreference -DisableBehaviorMonitoring $True

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-MpPreference | findstr "Behavior"

DisableBehaviorMonitoring : True

PS C:\Windows\system32>

• Scanning for viruses and leftover antivirus software. This was interesting (yet unfruitful):

Neither Kaspersky nor Emisoft could find any threats. MalwareBytes did find 5 executables in my temp folder, although Virustotal.com reported no danger for the files. This could mean it's a false positive, but I removed all traces of them anyway.

It also found two installers (PUPs) for a Spigot toolbar, I removed those as well. They probably came with some free software package, I try to prevent installing toolbars.
    • In installed AVG Anti Virus (the free version). When I rebooted after the installation, Defender was still running and taking up 25-30% of my CPU. I disabled Defender using the Group Policy editor and the service finally stopped.

AVG works for me, but like most free anti virus programs it's full of ads and "free offers" and fishy SSL/TLS interception ("web protection").

I'd like to keep using Windows Defender because it's neatly integrated into Windows 10, doesn't take a lot of resources and doesn't show annoying ads.

I hope anyone can suggest another way to fix this weird Windows Defender problem.

Jeroen HD, Aug 14, 2020
  3. How to limit the maximum CPU resources for a specific process?

I've googled and found this blog but when I try to repeat the steps, I see that my context menu doesn't have the options to limit a process. I restarted Task Manager as admin but it didn't make any difference.

How can I limit Windows Defender? It goes bananas on occasion. I want it to keep working but not make my computer fan act as a helicopter...

Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly ExH6f.png

Konrad Viltersten, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly

time limits in family not working

Hi Barbara,

We would like to know more details about your concern about the Family Safety time limit that is not working so we can better assist you. Kindly answer the following:

• Does it happen only with particular child account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we would suggest that you refer to this
    support link
    on how to set up screen time limits for your child.

We look forward to your response.

Marilou Ser, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly

1. Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly - Similar Threads - Defender CPU Limit

2. Windows Defender Not working properly

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Not working properly: I HAVE TRIED ALL THE METHODS BUT NOTHING WORK OUT WELL. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-not-working-properly/7f2d85d9-1289-49f9-b3b3-1dfdab1366dd
  3. Security Defender is not working properly

Security Defender is not working properly: Sir, after a long time span i tried to turn off windows securities real time protection, during navigation to windows security tab in settings, no options were loading, i then clicked on open windows security there also any of option were not loading, when clicked on...
  4. Window defender isn't working properly

Window defender isn't working properly: real-time protection is blocked by group policy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-defender-isnt-working-properly/0163eba5-8eff-49dd-8d63-2db8a60d604d
  5. How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan

in Windows 10 News
    How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows Defender Antivirus has a maximum 50% CPU usage for a scan by default in Windows 10. But, you can specify a percentage of CPU usage you want Windows Defender Antivirus to not exceed. In this post, we will show [...] This post How to limit or set...
  6. How to properly limit cpu usage in power options ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to properly limit cpu usage in power options ?: My laptop use ryzen 5 3500h cpu, and i want to limit the cpu to reduce temp because its reach 80-88c and sometimes 90c when gaming. I look at the power options you able to limit the cpu state maximum and minimum. Let's say i want to limit my cpu usage to 80% only. What...
  7. How to properly limit cpu usage in power options ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to properly limit cpu usage in power options ?: My laptop use ryzen 5 3500h cpu, and i want to limit the cpu to reduce temp because its reach 80-88c and sometimes 90c when gaming. I look at the power options you able to limit the cpu state maximum and minimum. Let's say i want to limit my cpu usage to 80% only. What...
  8. CPU limiting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU limiting: Hi. I have a laptop with an Intel Core i5 4200M that runs at 2.5 GHz. The LCD broke a few days ago and so I'm using an external monitor and the laptop is basically a desktop for now. Since it stays in the same place, instead of charging and discharging the battery the...
  9. my windows defender not working properly

my windows defender not working properly: 1st I saw this .....then tried to find out the reason.....but i couldn't[ATTACH]Then i saw this but didn't understand it[ATTACH]I tried this but it shows as follows....... [ATTACH]Please help me with this issue...
  10. Windows defender not working properly

Windows defender not working properly: So I have everything updated on a Matebook x Pro (windows 1803) however it seems that the defender is bugged what should I do? All the settings are grayed out (see the example below) and the scan doesn't work. The service is up and running regularly. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...