Windows 10: Windows Defender custom scan checking too many files?

Discus and support Windows Defender custom scan checking too many files? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A routine Windows Defender Full Scan picked up a Trojan. I've deleted it, but I want to check it is not getting reinstalled. So I am running a custom... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by seglea, Aug 10, 2018.

1. seglea Win User

Windows Defender custom scan checking too many files?

A routine Windows Defender Full Scan picked up a Trojan. I've deleted it, but I want to check it is not getting reinstalled. So I am running a custom scan on the disc area where it appeared. However, WD appears to be scanning a much wider area. According to Explorer, the directory I am scanning contains about 8000 files. Running a custom scan on that folder, WD reports that it has scanned 4 million files, and it's still going, with a steadily increasing estimate of how much time it will need (it's been around the 20 minute mark, rising gently, for the past 3 hours). I realise that WD might be looking inside zip files, but this looks an impossibly large expansion: a full scan of my system (which tends to take about 24 hours) only finds about 12 million files. Can anyone explain what is going on, or is this simply a bug in WD? Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

seglea, Aug 10, 2018
  2. JoeJY Win User

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Aug 10, 2018
  3. JoeJY Win User

I tried the custom scan in Defender Windows 10. It brings up the list of drives but the "OK" button remains grayed out when I select any drive in the list, so still unable to scan external drives... Any suggestion would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Brian Cab Win User

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender custom scan checking too many files? - Similar Threads - Defender custom scan

2. Windows Defender scans too few files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender scans too few files.: Hello. I recently noticed that windows defender scans very few files, it used to scan 55 thousand files. This is fine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-scans-too-few-files/1e9cf0a3-7e43-4476-a5ca-03c46840c892
  3. Windows Defender scans too few files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender scans too few files.: Hello. I recently noticed that windows defender scans very few files, it used to scan 55 thousand files. This is fine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-scans-too-few-files/1e9cf0a3-7e43-4476-a5ca-03c46840c892
  4. Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender: Why am I getting this message "contact IT help desk" to custom scan with Windows Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-custom-scan-a-file-in-downloads-folder-with/8b775ac6-e938-498b-8e37-b73279e3db55
  5. Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender

Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender: Why am I getting this message "contact IT help desk" to custom scan with Windows Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-custom-scan-a-file-in-downloads-folder-with/8b775ac6-e938-498b-8e37-b73279e3db55
  6. Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Too many files being searched on a quick scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too many files being searched on a quick scan: I just re-installed windows and did a Microsoft offline scan there is no way the viruses could still be on, in result of the scan being deeper but for a "QUICK" scan that has lasted 5 minutes, IT SCANNED 700,000 FILES FOR A QUICK SCAN, can't tell if it's a improper display or...
  8. Too many files being searched on a quick scan

Too many files being searched on a quick scan: I just re-installed windows and did a Microsoft offline scan there is no way the viruses could still be on, in result of the scan being deeper but for a "QUICK" scan that has lasted 5 minutes, IT SCANNED 700,000 FILES FOR A QUICK SCAN, can't tell if it's a improper display or...
  9. Too many files being searched on a quick scan

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. quick scan scanning too many files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    quick scan scanning too many files: quick scan scanning too many files, i don't even have that much of files and it stops at this point and just keep counting files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/quick-scan-scanning-too-many-files/2e0b7954-1eec-4601-bd4f-99028dd1cbd2

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows security scan too many files