Windows 10: Windows Defender Definition update: not updating

Discus and support Windows Defender Definition update: not updating in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I turned on my device and check for updates via the Windows update, the message states that your device is up to date. When I went to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PaulPChou, May 1, 2019.

1. PaulPChou Win User

Windows Defender Definition update: not updating

When I turned on my device and check for updates via the Windows update, the message states that your device is up to date. When I went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions, I noticed that the definition version for mine is not up to date. Is Windows update not able to detect it? I went to Windows Security in my device to update it but same issue.

:)

PaulPChou, May 1, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

Task to auto update windows defender definitions disappears

My mom has a new laptop with windows 8.1, we always set the windows updates to manual.
    On our other windows 8.1 computers I have created a task for auto updating windows defender definitions, which works fine for us.

This is how I created this task:

"Click on "Create Task", name it what you like (mine is Daily Signature Update), set the trigger as the time you want it to run every day.

For Action browse to Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe and select it. In "Add arguments" add -SignatureUpdate -MMPC"

But somehow this task disappears once it has run on my mom's laptop.
    I'm logged in as admin and then I also tried it with running the task scheduler as admin, the task just disappears every day for some reason, while it works fine on our other windows 8.1 computers.

Anyone an idea why this task disappears every time?

Thanks.

P4-630, May 1, 2019
  3. FredWall Win User
    Windows Defender Definition Updates.

Thank you Elba for the prompt reply. However, there is a problem: In "Control Panel" under the "Programs and Features" page > "View Installed Updates" the " Windows Defender Definition Updates" are NOT listed. Consequently, I cannot delete/uninstall them.
    The same thing happens when I use "Settings" >" Updates & Security" > "View Update History". Here the Definition Updates are all listed but I can't uninstall them either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again, Fred

FredWall, May 1, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, May 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Definition update: not updating - Similar Threads - Defender Definition update

2. Defender - UPDATE DEFINITIONS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender - UPDATE DEFINITIONS: For well over a year now, Defender has not auto-updated Definitions. I must manually select Update Definitions. Can someone tell me how to fix this? Thank you....
  3. Definition updates for Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Definition updates for Windows Defender: I have three pcs on my home network all running Windows 10. One of them no longer downloads and installs the definition updates for Windows Defender. I worked with a support agent and went through the following steps running the command prompt as administrator: net stop...
  4. Windows Defender Definition Updates

Windows Defender Definition Updates: I have a Toshiba Satellite P875-S7200 & also a Dell Inspiron17 (series 5000). Both computers have Windows 10 64-bit. The Toshiba has version 1809 on it and the Dell has version 1803 on it. On both computers all updates seem to install without issue except the Windows...
  5. Windows Defender definition updates ...

Windows Defender definition updates ...: Is there a problem with the Defender updates? As I keep running the update app and there have been no updates today (01/05/2019). The last update was yesterday (30/04/2019) it was - Definition 1.293.527.0...
  6. definition updates for defender

definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  7. definition updates for defender

in Windows 10 Support
    definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  8. Updating Defender Definitions.

Updating Defender Definitions.: can't update the definition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/updating-defender-definitions/01d2f8f4-51bd-48f3-b7d7-03f00f5c959d
  9. Windows Defender definition updates

Windows Defender definition updates: Has anyone else noticed that the size of the daily definition download has dramatically increased? Prior to FCU the average size for me was under 1mb, now it has balloned to just under 30mb. This is of course downloading via Windows Update.Is this some kind of unusual quirk...
  10. Windows Defender Definition Update

Windows Defender Definition Update: I have disabled Windows Defender in Windows 10, but the Windows Defender Definition Updates are still being downloaded and installed, these updates are wasting my hard disk space. Are there ways to stop downloading of these updates. 16433