Windows 10: Windows Defender definition update question

Discus and support Windows Defender definition update question in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Two days ago in Reliability history I got a warning...Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 (Definition 1.263.83.0)... Failed... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by sportsfan148, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Windows Defender definition update question

Hi,
    Two days ago in Reliability history I got a warning...Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 (Definition 1.263.83.0)... Failed Windows Update. When I selected the Technical Details for the warning the installation failure error code given for the update failure was 0x80070643.
    However after checking the Reliability History again today. There were two successful Windows Defender definition updates applied yesterday KB2267602 (Definition 1.263.113.0) and Definition (1.263.116.0). There is no mention of a successful definition update though anywhere for the definition update that failed two days ago (KB2267602 (Definition 1.263.83.0). Will that failed update have been installed along with yesterdays successful definition updates even though it isn't shown? Can I assume everything is OK or is there something I need to do?

:)

sportsfan148, Mar 3, 2018

2. Computer does not work after Windows 10 update

Answers to your questions:

1. HP 1000 Series; COREi3; 4GB RAM.

2. Expired Kaspersky application is still installed.

3. Windows Defender is enabled. Definitions version: 1.211.538.0

4. Failed Updates in Update History are:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.211.176.0)

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.211.83.0)

HP - Other hardware - HP Wireless Button Driver

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.209.1186.0)

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.209.1172.0)

5. 12th November 2015.

6. Firefox current version is 42.0

7. no backup.

Siam Haque Daman, Mar 3, 2018
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Mar 3, 2018
  4. Cliff S New Member

Windows Defender definition update question

Could it be you just turned off or restarted your system, and that disrupted the download/install of the definition?
    It's no biggie, windows just grabs it the next chance it gets, or a newer definition, nothing to worry about.

Cliff S, Mar 3, 2018
  5. Hi Cliff. Thanks for the quick reply Windows Defender definition update question :)
    No I hadn't restarted or shut down the laptop. After the definition update failure you say windows 10 just grabs it the next chance it gets. Does that mean there will be no mention of the failed definition update being successfully installed later in Reliability History? By that I mean even though its not listed as installed that it will have been downloaded and installed along with the next/newer definitions. In this case the failed Windows Defender definition update was KB2267602 (Definition 1.263.83.0). The next Defender successful definition update downloaded was KB2267602 (Definition 1.263.113.0). Will the failed definition have been included and installed along with that newer definition?

sportsfan148, Mar 3, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    This can sometimes be due to a problem at Microsoft's end, not yours. Back in April Microsoft issued a definitions update that was malformed and could not install. A member of the Microsoft Windows Defender Team registered on TenForums to post this...
    On Windows Defender Definition Update error 0x80070643

The more recent definitions update replaces the one that wouldn't install so attempts to install the old one would have ceased. Definitions updates are like windows cumulative updates, a new one includes all relevant definitions from the previous ones. You only ever need the latest definitions update.

As you now have the latest definitions then yes, everything is OK.

Bree, Mar 3, 2018
  7. Thanks mate for explaining to me exactly how the Definitions update process works. Good to know Windows Defender definition update question :)

sportsfan148, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender definition update question

1. Windows Defender definition update question - Similar Threads - Defender definition update

2. Windows Defender Definitions not Updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Definitions not Updating: Hi All, I've got a PC in an SCCM environment which is not updating the Windows Defender definitions, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in Administrator CMD and is coming back with error code 0x800f0954. Incase you also need to know this is on Windows 10 version...
  3. Windows defender virus definitions update question

Windows defender virus definitions update question: I've been using Avast antivirus for a year, and I want to remove it and use Windows Defender, but I'm worried that my Windows Defender won't update its virus definitions because there's an Avast antivirus running. So before I am removing my previous AV and use WD, I want to...
  4. Definition updates for Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Definition updates for Windows Defender: I have three pcs on my home network all running Windows 10. One of them no longer downloads and installs the definition updates for Windows Defender. I worked with a support agent and went through the following steps running the command prompt as administrator: net stop...
  5. Windows Defender Definition Updates

Windows Defender Definition Updates: I have a Toshiba Satellite P875-S7200 & also a Dell Inspiron17 (series 5000). Both computers have Windows 10 64-bit. The Toshiba has version 1809 on it and the Dell has version 1803 on it. On both computers all updates seem to install without issue except the Windows...
  6. Windows Defender definition updates ...

Windows Defender definition updates ...: Is there a problem with the Defender updates? As I keep running the update app and there have been no updates today (01/05/2019). The last update was yesterday (30/04/2019) it was - Definition 1.293.527.0...
  7. definition updates for defender

definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  8. definition updates for defender

in Windows 10 Support
    definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  9. Windows Defender definition updates

Windows Defender definition updates: Has anyone else noticed that the size of the daily definition download has dramatically increased? Prior to FCU the average size for me was under 1mb, now it has balloned to just under 30mb. This is of course downloading via Windows Update.Is this some kind of unusual quirk...
  10. Windows Defender Definition Update

Windows Defender Definition Update: I have disabled Windows Defender in Windows 10, but the Windows Defender Definition Updates are still being downloaded and installed, these updates are wasting my hard disk space. Are there ways to stop downloading of these updates. 16433