Windows 10: Windows Defender definitions reinstalled after a Factory Reset back to November 2014.

Discus and support Windows Defender definitions reinstalled after a Factory Reset back to November 2014. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Help, please. The Windows Support is non-existent! Waited for almost 2 1/2 hours then got disconnected. Anyway, immediately after downloading and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MichaelDFerrell, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Windows Defender definitions reinstalled after a Factory Reset back to November 2014.

Help, please. The Windows Support is non-existent! Waited for almost 2 1/2 hours then got disconnected. Anyway, immediately after downloading and installing a Windows Update (that included an update for Adobe Flash Player) for Windows 8.1, x86 based it went into a gradual "Crash". This was between August and September, 2018 (don't remember the exact date) and quit working altogether in January, 2019. So, I had to do a Factory Reset back to November, 2014. It's working great now except I lost everything except my personal files, photos & videos, etc. I need to download & reinstall all of the definitions for Windows Defender. If I use the Update Button in Defender itself, it doesn't work. Is there another way to get them back? Would it work using the Update Catalog Website (or does it even have definitions going back that far)? I realize this would be a huge amount of data and might take more that a day to complete (I'm sure that's why the Update Button in Defender doesn't work). I'm hoping someone out there can help; I'm also sure I'm not the only one to have this problem. I'm sure not getting any help from Microsoft (even tho they've essentially caused the problem, but would never admit it or accept responsibility). Thanks to anyone that can help.

:)

MichaelDFerrell, Feb 26, 2019
  2. cwebb2613 Win User

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.251.705.0) - Error 0x80070643

Thanks for responding to my issue and pointing to the troubleshooting instructions.

I have been through all of the first few troubleshooting steps and the issue remains.

The remaining step indicates that Windows itself is the problem and suggests Windows be restored, reset or reinstalled. I haven't yet decided which of those options would be best for my situation. I do know that I don't wish to reinstall Windows and have
    to reinstall all of my applications unless that is absolutely the only viable course.

I did note that restoring from backup was not a listed option. I do have a recent backup available and could restore from that if that approach would be useful.

I also observed that when Windows Defender was opened this AM it shows that a recent (today) definition update was installed and scans run. It is not until I try to

do a manual definition update that the aforementioned problem appears.

cwebb2613, Feb 26, 2019
  3. Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.225.3124.0) - Error 0x80070643

Hello,

With the issue description, I understand that you are getting the error code for Windows Defender Error 0x80070643. I will certainly help you.

KB2267602 is the latest Definition update for Windows Defender. I would suggest you to follow the suggestion as a workaround given by
    johnhawk88 replied on 24, 2015 and check if it helps.

Definition Update for Windows Defender - Error 0x80070643

If issue persists you may try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows Update troubleshooter.

Run the Windows Update troubleshooter to try and fix the issue. Refer to the link to run the troubleshooter:

I request you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check it helps.

• I search bar Type Troubleshooter and click on
      Troubleshooting;
    • Click on the Find and Fix problems tile and then click on the
      view all button the left pane.
    • Click on the Windows update
      troubleshooter
      and run it.

Method 2: Reset Windows Update components
    and test the issue.

I suggest you to reset Windows Updates Components. Resetting Windows Update Components and the Windows Update files helps to fix Windows Update errors.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Backup the registry:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us

Note: To reset the computer to normal mode after troubleshooting, please refer to “How to reset the computer to start as usual”
    from the above article.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to manually download the latest definition updates for Windows Defender.

How to manually download the latest definition updates for Windows Defender

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Kumar Ravi, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Windows Defender definitions reinstalled after a Factory Reset back to November 2014.

stuck at installing update [Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.1075.0).]

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

Try to update Windows Defender manually and check.

Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key, type Windows Defender
      and hit Enter.

• Click on Update and try to update from there.

If this doesn't help, I would suggest you to follow the suggestions provided by
    Ronnie Vernon on November 3, 2015 and see if it helps in resolving the issue.

Windows defender /down load stuck

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender definitions reinstalled after a Factory Reset back to November 2014.

1. Windows Defender definitions reinstalled after a Factory Reset back to November 2014. - Similar Threads - Defender definitions reinstalled

2. howHow to back up Exclusions & How to reset Defender to Factory Setting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    howHow to back up Exclusions & How to reset Defender to Factory Setting?: As per the title, 2-part question:1How do I backup and restore Defender AV Exclusions or, where are these kept as file??2 How do I reset my Defender to factory Setting?My Defender no longer shows what files were found or what actions it took, for whatever reason.It tells me...
  3. howHow to back up Exclusions & How to reset Defender to Factory Setting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    howHow to back up Exclusions & How to reset Defender to Factory Setting?: As per the title, 2-part question:1How do I backup and restore Defender AV Exclusions or, where are these kept as file??2 How do I reset my Defender to factory Setting?My Defender no longer shows what files were found or what actions it took, for whatever reason.It tells me...
  4. howHow to back up Exclusions & How to reset Defender to Factory Setting?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Files came back after factory reset ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files came back after factory reset ?: I’ve been having a lot of problems with my pc (dell xps 13 I think 2016) with Internet connection, and I fully factory reset it from advanced options. That didn’t work but I ended up fixing the problem with a wifi antenna, but now my airpods are having connectivity issues and...
  6. Windows 10 Reinstall after Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Reinstall after Factory Reset: My Asus K53 laptop originally shipped with Windows 7. I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 while it was available. Due to issues with Office 365 I had to carry out a factory reset on the machine and of course I am now back on Windows 7. No - I didn't record...
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 after Resetting PC to factory settings

Reinstalling Windows 10 after Resetting PC to factory settings: I reset my PC to factory settings forgetting about Windows 10. Its completely reset to Win8 now and I don't know how to get 10 back. My online Microsoft account still shows that my home PC this one has Windows 10 but it doesn't. Tech support is not available. Does anyone...
  8. Trying to reinstall Windows 10 after factory reset

Trying to reinstall Windows 10 after factory reset: I had upgraded to Windows 10 on my Dell Alienware laptop when it all came out. A month ago I had an issue that the only resolution was to do a factory reinstall. It put me back to Windows 8.1. I've attempted several times to reinstall Windows 10 using the media creation...
  9. Reinstalling windows 10 after factory reset

Reinstalling windows 10 after factory reset: Microsoft says I wont need a product key to reinstall windows 10 on the same device after a factory reset but a few days ago my PC crashed after a critical windows update. I did a factory reset then went back to Microsoft and used the media creation tool, selected upgrade...
  10. Advance Windows Update Notification for November 10th 2014

in Windows 10 News
    Advance Windows Update Notification for November 10th 2014: Today, we provide advance notification for the release of 16 Security Bulletins. Five of these updates are rated Critical, nine are rated as Important, and two are rated Moderate in severity. These updates are for Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer, Office, Exchange, .NET...