Windows 10: Windows Defender deleting my own applications

Discus and support Windows Defender deleting my own applications in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Dear Community and Microsoft, So I'm a software engineer and I was working on one of my projects in Python on Windows it is a Windows application so... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Anton_Pernisch, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Windows Defender deleting my own applications

Dear Community and Microsoft,

So I'm a software engineer and I was working on one of my projects in Python on Windows it is a Windows application so whatever and today, I have turned on my Windows 10 updated computer, fired up Visual Studio Code, applied some hotfixes and then tried to compile it to .exe via pyinstaller library to prepare it for distribution. But immediately after I've entered pyinstaller command in cmd, a super useful and effective anti-virus named Windows Defender decided to erase these things for some reason:

• All .exe files on my computer that I myself wrote and compiled meaning all distribution files for my apps on my local computer
    • Bootloader .exe from pyinstaller library meaning I no longer can compile my next .py files to .exe

So now, I'm stuck with all of my own .exe files deleted including small scripts for my servers' automation as well as distribution .exe files for all of my apps - doesn't include installers, but at this point, I wouldn't be even surprised...without any chance of me to compile it again, since Windows Defender keeps deleting pyinstaller's bootloader every time I try to run it after a fresh installation.

I don't want to set up some mumbo jumbo exceptions for literally ALL of my programs and bootloader plus I expect this behavior on clients using my apps as well, and as a developer, I'm NOT happy about it, let alone deleting it on my local machine. For the love of God, I literally wrote code, if there will be some tRoJaN I would know about it!

I want to point out that my friend that is working with Python .exe compiled files and pyinstaller library has this problem too. This is not a pyinstaller's fault, it's a Windows Defender fault since Windows Defender is deleting files that absolutely have nothing to do with viruses. But I guess that's why it is default and free anti-virus...

I want Microsoft to fix this as soon as possible because THEY have taken from me and maybe from some of you guys as well? ability to create programs that at the end of the day will be used on their OS and will add functionality and reason why to use Windows... I'm literally paying around 120€ for an OS that is automatically destroying my own .exe files. For now, I have lost another reason why would I use Windows...

Thanks Defender!

:)

Anton_Pernisch, Jan 18, 2021

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    BlueSound OS conflict with Windows Defender

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that Windows Defender blocks BluOS app. It is very unusual that Windows Defender blocks the app. However, I would suggest you to try adding the app to the Exclusion list of Windows Defender and see if that helps.

To add the application to the Exclusion list, please refer the steps mentioned in the article

Add an exclusion to Windows Security

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Windows Defender deleting my own applications

Can't launch any applications

Hi,

This error message will show if the application or program that you are trying to open was been blocked by Windows Defender SmartScreen. Having said that, we suggest that you disable Windows Defender SmartScreen by following these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • Click on Off in the following options:
      • Check apps and files.
      • SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.
      • SmartScreen for Windows Store apps.
    • SmartScreen is now completely disabled. If you'd like to still receive a warning when a potentially malicious file or program is detected, you can choose Warn in each SmartScreen option.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender deleting my own applications

1. Windows Defender deleting my own applications - Similar Threads - Defender deleting own

2. After updates Windows block my own application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After updates Windows block my own application: My own developed application is not under blocked app in windows security, I've putted my app in exception list and trusted app and folder, but my app is blocked and looked as not installed, without his icon. My app has installed in c:\username\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0 and...
  3. Own application

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Own application: Can my own software/application be provided in microsoft store? And if it can be given, tell me how to give it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/own-application/543b72eb-46e9-47fa-b2fb-11f610e6f993
  4. Own application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Own application: Can my own software/application be provided in microsoft store? And if it can be given, tell me how to give it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/own-application/543b72eb-46e9-47fa-b2fb-11f610e6f993
  5. Own application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. My Windows defender is deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows defender is deleted: I tried to download a cracked game on my pc from fitgirl, worst mistake, the game worked fine and all but the windows defender got deleted and it doesn't open at all, i tried to upload a short video here but there was a problem so i uploaded it in streamable....
  7. My Windows defender is deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows defender is deleted: I tried to download a cracked game on my pc from fitgirl, worst mistake, the game worked fine and all but the windows defender got deleted and it doesn't open at all, i tried to upload a short video here but there was a problem so i uploaded it in streamable....
  8. My Windows defender is deleted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Can I stop my Windows Antivirus Defender from deleting my OWN app?

Can I stop my Windows Antivirus Defender from deleting my OWN app?: I am learning python and I scripted and compiled my own executable for my personal use. This is just an app that I made to launch other apps, but this Windows Antivirus Defender keeps seeing it as a trojan and deletes it as if an app I made myself is going to kill my own pc....
  10. Windows defender deleteing my Signed application ?

Windows defender deleteing my Signed application ?: Hello I created a software which have some functions like Pickup Computer Identity (CPU ID, GPU and HDD serial & simple GET/POST methods) Login, Download & Installations of Game Mods. Then i signed my software successfully by Sectigo Code Signing Certificate then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pyinstaller exe alert of anti virus

2. pyinstaller and windows defender