Windows 10: Windows Defender detected something very odd, not sure what to do.

Discus and support Windows Defender detected something very odd, not sure what to do. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So I was sort of in a rush to do this because I needed the footage for a video and may have accidentally downloaded something malicious. I was trying... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by joketer, Apr 7, 2021.

1. joketer Win User

Windows Defender detected something very odd, not sure what to do.

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]So I was sort of in a rush to do this because I needed the footage for a video and may have accidentally downloaded something malicious. I was trying to find a method to run Crash Bandicoot 4 on ultrawide. Eventually I found a method where you just modify a couple hex which is working perfectly for me now but before this I downloaded some .exe from a random Polish website, I assumed it was something you just put in the game directory and it made ultrawide work, as I've downloaded similar mods for other games in the past. When I downloaded the file, I thought it looked odd, the name of the file was 'Crash Bandicoot™ 4 It's About Time.exe' which is not the name of any file in the game directory and the site said you were supposed to replace it with the main .exe of the game.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]Here is a translation of the website basically claiming it to be safe:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]"Note: some anti-viruses may mistakenly detect this mod as dangerous. This is nonsense, because the mod is completely safe and proven. It is simply not in the antivirus databases, and for that its purpose is to change other files, hence the incorrect threat detection."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]As soon as I thought it was suspicious, I deleted it. I can't recall if I ran the .exe or not but I'm 99% sure I didn't. I then did a full scan on Windows Defender and got this. Strangely nothing is showing up in my protection history now? I did take screenshots of it all though Wacapew.C!ml. Can barely find any info on it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/812514296520245279/829084983871668294/unknown.png[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]I went to the locations of the files and deleted them, then I chose remove which probably did nothing as I already deleted them beforehand[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]Windows Defender now says no current threats.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]Still paranoid, I downloaded Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes. Adwcleaner found nothing, I did a full scan of the C: drive on Malwarebytes and that found nothing.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]I also had a friend upload the file to virustotal and he got this Some sites do detect it as malicious :L[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/384069359548760074/829108578974826606/20210406_174123.jpg[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]No idea what to think or what actions I should take next, should I backup and format the C: drive? Very unknowledgeable when it comes to this sort of stuff, viruses and malware have always made me extremely paranoid. Any help/advice appreciated. Thanks.[/COLOR]

:)

joketer, Apr 7, 2021

2. Windows Defender notification of malware detection

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate your continued patience on this issue.

At this point, I suggest you to update the Windows Defender program and check if it helps.

To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also, check if the detection is of the same malware file or not. Again, see if it is any specific program or a file you try to access which triggers the detection.

Additionally, view the log in Event Viewer to check if the malware is removed every time it is prompted.

To open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.
    You can view Windows Defender "Operational" events in Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender.

Kindly keep us posted, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Apr 7, 2021
  3. Kim Tiw Win User
    windows defender detected error0X8050800c

Hello,

This error indicates that there might be a problem with your security product. We suggest that you follow these steps to update the definitions on your Windows Defender:

• Update the definitions. Either click the Update definitions button on the Update tab in Windows Defender, or download the latest definitions from the Microsoft
      Malware Protection Center
    • Run a full scan.
    • Restart the device and try again.

If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to reply on this post.

Kim Tiw, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Windows Defender detected something very odd, not sure what to do.

"Attestation" A new feature coming to Windows Defender in Windows 10

Tech Republic - Upcoming Windows Defender feature will tell you when security fails
    This seems very promising. Microsoft is in the unique position to know what Windows should look like, even before Windows Update pushes out new changes. As long as MS can properly sync WD with WU changes AND this new features does not make any "noticeable" hit on system performance/resources, all without any false positives, this should be a big step forward for consumer security, and a blow to the bad guys - always a good thing.

Of course, there will likely be some hiccups the Windows/Microsoft/Windows Defender bashers will surely pounce on - regardless how extensive the Beta process is. But hopefully open and unbiased minds will prevail. After all, the goal is to stop the bad guys and if this gets us closer to that, that's a very good thing.

For more detailed information, see Introducing Windows Defender System Guard runtime attestation)

Bill_Bright, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender detected something very odd, not sure what to do.

1. Windows Defender detected something very odd, not sure what to do. - Similar Threads - Defender detected something

2. Very Odd Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very Odd Crash: Was on PC, plugging in a cord, when suddenly my computer turned off. Fans and everything were off, only thing still on was the backlight on my motherboard. Tried turning it on but nothing happened. Turned off power supply, unplugged, waited 30 seconds, repluggind, turned on,...
  3. Very Odd Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very Odd Crash: Was on PC, plugging in a cord, when suddenly my computer turned off. Fans and everything were off, only thing still on was the backlight on my motherboard. Tried turning it on but nothing happened. Turned off power supply, unplugged, waited 30 seconds, repluggind, turned on,...
  4. Yellow Warning Sign on Windows Defender. Not sure what it means or what to do.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Yellow Warning Sign on Windows Defender. Not sure what it means or what to do.: Hello,I have Windows 11 and recently did a factory restore and now the following messages are popping up on Windows Defender. After I press "Go to Settings" on first message, a second message pops up stating "Page not available." Please see photos below:I'm not sure what this...
  5. Yellow Warning Sign on Windows Defender. Not sure what it means or what to do.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Yellow Warning Sign on Windows Defender. Not sure what it means or what to do.: Hello,I have Windows 11 and recently did a factory restore and now the following messages are popping up on Windows Defender. After I press "Go to Settings" on first message, a second message pops up stating "Page not available." Please see photos below:I'm not sure what this...
  6. HDR is very odd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR is very odd: Im using a LG ultragear 1440p HDR monitor and when I enable HDR the screen is more yellow (even whites) and the brightness adjusts automatically based off whats on the screen. I had hulu open on half my monitor and it was full black and I minimized it and everything else got...
  7. Something very odd.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something very odd.: I went on my computer and turned on Task Manager and found a process going by "WaasMedic Agent Exe" i don't remember downloading anything yesterday. Is this something bad?[IMG]...
  8. Not sure what to do

Not sure what to do: So mcafee was saying my computer was at risk last night and I didn’t think much of it because I thought it was just trying to get me to buy it but today my computer is working WAY slowing then usual so I don’t really know what to do. Can somebody please tell me what’s going...
  9. Windows update going very slowly, not sure what to do. Need help

Windows update going very slowly, not sure what to do. Need help: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Demonicstalking [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i0at1v/windows_update_going_very_slowly_not_sure_what_to/
  10. Something is very wrong with Windows Defender!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something is very wrong with Windows Defender!: Windows defender is acting weird in the recent updates, it doesn't acts normal to a threat it found - It was unable to remove it or even quarantine it, to be least. Most recently, when I had shared a OneDrive link to a friend, he reported that link was infected with...