Windows 10: Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments

Discus and support Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I'm a newbie to tenforums, but old with Windows since the 90's. Hope you can give me a definitive answer to this question. I cannot find any... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by weggins, Dec 15, 2019.

1. weggins Win User

Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments

Hi, I'm a newbie to tenforums, but old with Windows since the 90's. Hope you can give me a definitive answer to this question.

I cannot find any evidence that WD has any interaction with email. In particular, you can no longer right-click on an email attachment to select "scan with ...".

I have Win 10 Home, 64bit, v1909, email is Outlook ver 14.0.7237 (32bit).

My Windows Security settings are currently:
    Real-time protection ON
    Cloud-delivered OFF
    Tamper protection ON
    Controlled Folder access OFF
    Exclusions - None

Regards,
    Wes

:)

weggins, Dec 15, 2019

2. email attachments

Hello Allan,

To attach a document file on an email, you can follow the step given below:

For Windows 10 Mobile:

• Launch to File Explorer app.
    • Press and hold the file that you need to attach on the email, and select
      button.
    • Select Outlook Mail on the suggested applications.

For Windows Phone 8.1:

• Download and install
      Files
      app.
    • Launch Files app.
    • Tap and hold the document that you need to attach on the email, and select
      button.
    • Select the Mail app on the suggested applications.

Feel free to post back if you have other queries.

Timoteo IV Ofr, Dec 15, 2019
  3. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Dec 15, 2019
  4. Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments

attaching scans to email

In windows 10, both in outlook or msn email, I am unable to select an individual scan from the scans folder and attach it to an email. Also unable to name the scans. How can I attach? When I tried, I got a small picture of the scan to appear in the email,
    not an attachment icon.

PS My options for posting are all frivolous categories - nothing on basic functions.

ERICOLSEN_973, Dec 15, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments

1. Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments - Similar Threads - Defender does scan

2. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates.Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% rightEarlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection, this...
  3. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates. Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% right Earlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection,...
  4. Does Windows Mail and Calendar scan prevent email viruses? Also does Windows defender scan...

Does Windows Mail and Calendar scan prevent email viruses? Also does Windows defender scan...: I opened an email and it loaded the linked image etc. but I didn't download any of the attachments or click on anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-mail-and-calendar-scan-prevent-email/2b89868d-2a4a-44e6-bf33-2be5b49f0322
  5. Windows Defender does it scan archives?

Windows Defender does it scan archives?: Does Windows 10's Windows Defender scan archives by default ? I cannot find anything under options for "Archives specifically" so i assume its either on and can't be turned off, or it doesn't scan archives at all *.zip, *.rar, *.7z etc.. and compressed images .iso...
  6. Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?

Does the defender real time scan extend to attached drives?: I would like to know whether Windows Defender's real time scan extends to usb attached storage devices like flash drives, HDDs and SSDs? If i transferred an infected file from a laptop HDD to USB drive and ii from USB drive to laptop HDD would Defender catch these...
  7. All scanned documents attach in an email

in Windows 10 Customization
    All scanned documents attach in an email: I have a HP 4630 printer. When I scan to my HP Laptop and then send that scanned document in an email, all the prior scans attach also. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-scanned-documents-attach-in-an-email/e530b678-df18-46d3-9cfe-b6222a1ba486
  8. Enable Defender Email Scanning?

Enable Defender Email Scanning?: I just discovered in a recent post that you can use the Powershell command Get-MpPreference to get the status of Defender settings. I have the default settings as far as I know but spotted that the option DisableEmailScanning was set to True. I discovered a setting in Group...
  9. When does Windows Defender scan?

When does Windows Defender scan?: If I download an exe file from someplace, does Defender scan the file immediately for possible problems or do I have to request the scan? Alfred 2987
  10. Attaching a scan

in Browsers and Email
    Attaching a scan: It used to be whenever I attached a scan to an email, it would bring up my scan window and all the icons had pictures so I could see which one I needed. Since downloading Windows 10 that doesn't happen any more. It only show a PDF icon on all the items, no picture. I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can windows defender scan pdf attachments for viruses?