Windows 10: Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC?

Discus and support Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by wreedps, Dec 19, 2020.

1. wreedps Win User

Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC?

Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC?

:)

wreedps, Dec 19, 2020

2. Windows Defender - Exclude network folder "file: \\;LanmanRedirector\"

I have a network folder \\NAS\NAS Storage\... which is also mapped to the drive letter Z.

My current Windows Defender exclusions

By typing in Windows Security in the start menu it brings me here.

I have excluded both of those locations shown in step 4 below. Here I chose folder after pressing the + button at step 4.

Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC? jXWWY.png

Windows Defender protection history screenshot

In Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Protection history

Here shows my list of the previously quarantined items. The image below shows the problem where Windows Defender now scans this new location. file: \\;LanmanRedirector\;Z...

Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC? px8b4.png

Question

After excluding both the Network Location and the mapped drive, I thought that that would exclude that whole thing but now I'm getting this location \\;LanmanRedirector\;Z... showing up. Is it possible to exclude this as it won't allow this path in the exclusion section?

This is the error message

Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC? wrVue.png

Stephen Sherry, Dec 19, 2020
  3. WENZU5 Win User
    Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders.

Hi,

Today I tried to exclude files and folders in Windows Defender.

Although I managed to select a file nothing was shown in the exclude window.

I tried different files and folders on other drives but nothing was actually selected by Defender.

Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance for any help.

WENZU5, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Shabingly Win User

"Exclude from File History" does not exclude folder

I found having the folders you want excluded as part of a users library scuppered my chances of file history actually accepting it was excluded; adding the libraries to exclusions seemed to work (after a restart or two), but I could never actually remove
    the folder successfully from the included list and it just ignored the exclusion. Even tried excluding the libraries.

E.g., C:/Users/Public/Public Music added to the music library (among other public folders)

C:/Users/Public added to exclusions

Could never remove C:/Users/Public Music (and others) from the included folders list.

I resolved it (I think, just did it this morning) by removing the folders from the user's libraries and just pinning the public music, public pictures and public videos folders to quick access in explorer. Seems to have done the job.

Shabingly, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Exclude Mapped Drive, does it also exclude when users accesses via UNC? - Similar Threads - Defender Exclude Mapped

2. Exclude Windows Defender from Antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Exclude Windows Defender from Antivirus: Hello,Could someone kindly explain how to exclude Windows Defender from being scanned from a 3rd party Antivirus. I will need the folder paths for the processes to prevent the defender processes from being scanned.Thanks...
  3. Network Mapped drive is not accessible with Drive letter but accessible via UNC path...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Mapped drive is not accessible with Drive letter but accessible via UNC path...: Issue: Applications are unable to access the files using network mapped drive letter but accessible using UNC PathAzure VMWindows Server 2022 Datacenter Azure EditionCreated a file share from Azure storage and mounted as network drive in Azure VM using windows PowerShell...
  4. Network Mapped drive is not accessible with Drive letter but accessible via UNC path...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Mapped drive is not accessible with Drive letter but accessible via UNC path...: Issue: Applications are unable to access the files using network mapped drive letter but accessible using UNC PathAzure VMWindows Server 2022 Datacenter Azure EditionCreated a file share from Azure storage and mounted as network drive in Azure VM using windows PowerShell...
  5. Windows Defender scanning an excluded file

Windows Defender scanning an excluded file: Hi Having Windows Defender running on a server 2016.Excluded a folder: s:\database\application\dataVerified in the logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Supportthe exclusion:2021-07-22T00:22:08.983Z [Exclusion] s:\database\application\data ->...
  6. windows defender not allowing to exclude anything

windows defender not allowing to exclude anything: The windows defender does not add or show the list of exclusions, I have tried many times, but it did not work even after disabling real time protection. [ATTACH]...
  7. iCloud Drive excludes folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    iCloud Drive excludes folders?: Hi, guys, I have decided to use my iCloud storage to synchronize my documents from notebook and desktop PC. No sooner said than done. Installed on both PCs and pushed the files together. Unfortunately, it is now the case that some folders are not synchronized for some...
  8. Exclude Folder.

Exclude Folder.: Hey guys, I have a folder in my Windoes 10 Explorer that I want to exclude from media scanning, so it won't appear in anywhere except Explorer. Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of .NOMEDIA folder like the one in Android. Thank you very much....
  9. Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded: Hello, My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list. The issue...
  10. Robocopy exclude

in Windows 10 Support
    Robocopy exclude: Hello everyone, How do I exclude System Volume Information in Robocopy Windows 10? I tried XD\ "System Volume Information" "$Recycle.bin" System Volume Information doesn't work. Recycle.bin does. Don Cole 105420

Users found this page by searching for:

1. exclude unc path windows defender

2. windows defender exclude unc path