Windows 10: Windows Defender fails to Open - error

Discus and support Windows Defender fails to Open - error in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I need your help please. Windows defender doesn't want to open and I have no virus/spam software running. I think the problem was caused by some new... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Marz, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Marz Win User

Windows Defender fails to Open - error

I need your help please. Windows defender doesn't want to open and I have no virus/spam software running. I think the problem was caused by some new malware.

When I click the defender icon on desktop or cpanel:
    Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.

When I try to force open defender in C:\Program Files\Windows Defender, I get this message
    MSASCui.exe: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. (Most .exe in this directory give that message)

When I go to services.msc, I see that Window Defender service is not started. On clicking start, I get this error message:
    Windows could not start Windows Defender Service service on local computer. Error 14105: The size of the manifest exceeds the maximum allowed.

Windows Defender Network is also stopped and cannot be started (Error 5: access denied)

Hope you can be able to help me to solve this issue.
    Thank you in advance

:)

Marz, Feb 2, 2017
  2. alan2z Win User

Unable Updating Windows Defender

Yesterday Windows Update KB2267602 Windows Defender AntiVirus failed to complete installing with error code 0x80070643 with several attempts. Today I tried updating by opening Windows Defender and using the check for updates and it failed to complete
    installing with error code 0x8050a003. Is there a fix or workaround?

alan2z, Feb 2, 2017
  3. I have not been able to access windows Defender and I am unsure why.

I have a similar problem with Windows defender. When I try to open Windows Defender, it fails to open with the error message:

" An error has occurred in the program during initialization."

Error code: 0x800b100

I have signed in with a local account with administrative privileges.

Thanks in advance.

mnsubramanian, Feb 2, 2017
  4. Marz Win User

IF it helps I ran rkill.exe and gave out this log:

Code: Rkill 2.8.4 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)BleepingComputer Copyright 2008-2017 BleepingComputer.com More Information about Rkill can be found at this link: RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software Program started at: 02/03/2017 07:52:09 AM in x64 mode. Windows Version: Windows 10 Home Checking for Windows services to stop: * No malware services found to stop. Checking for processes to terminate: * C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dxconfig.exe (PID: 3408) [WD-HEUR] * C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dxconfig.exe (PID: 10392) [WD-HEUR] 2 proccesses terminated! Checking Registry for malware related settings: * No issues found in the Registry. Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry. Performing miscellaneous checks: * Modified HKCU\...\Winlogon: [Shell] => explorer.exe,"C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Roaming\clientmonitor.exe" * No issues found. Checking Windows Service Integrity: * gagp30kx [Missing Service] * IEEtwCollectorService [Missing Service] * IoQos [Missing Service] * nv_agp [Missing Service] * TimeBroker [Missing Service] * tunnel [Missing Service] * uagp35 [Missing Service] * uliagpkx [Missing Service] * WcsPlugInService [Missing Service] * wpcfltr [Missing Service] * WSService [Missing Service] * agp440 [Missing ImagePath] * AJRouter => %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted [Incorrect ImagePath] * WpnService => %systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs [Incorrect ImagePath] * vmicrdv => %SystemRoot%\System32\icsvcext.dll [Incorrect ServiceDLL] * vmicvss => %SystemRoot%\System32\icsvcext.dll [Incorrect ServiceDLL] Searching for Missing Digital Signatures: * No issues found. Checking HOSTS File: * HOSTS file entries found: 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost 127.0.0.1 activation.acronis.com Program finished at: 02/03/2017 07:52:38 AM Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 28 seconds(s)[/quote]

Marz, Feb 2, 2017
  5. When "Distributed Link Tracking Client" service is disabled, exe gives that error.
    You are also missing TimeBroker service required by the new Windows shell.

Unless you have disabled those plus others, something have seriously messed up your Windows.
    To enable WD and that service, download "Enable WD TrkWks.bat" and run it as admin, then restart.
    But it might not be enough to fix everything, you might need to Reset Windows 10 to fix other issues.

TairikuOkami, Feb 2, 2017
  6. VFRRider Win User
    I had this error with Windows7/Security Essentials a number of years ago, I used a free tool from Microsoft (Microsoft Safety Scanner) to fix the problem.

Once downloaded I ran a Full Scan

VFRRider, Feb 2, 2017
  7. Marz Win User
    Thank you Tairiku - yes I suspect some malware messed up some parts of my Win10 - I started receiving lots of spam recently. I opted to start automatic Distributed Link Tracking Client and after a reset it is running. Still Defender is dead.

VFR Rider, I'm downloading MS Safety Scanner and let you know what happens. I am also trying Antibyte Malware too.

Is it possible to uninstall defender completely and re-install it - maybe that solves the problem.

Marz, Feb 2, 2017
  8. torre Win User

No. If your scans are negative, consider a System Restore to a point before the problem.

Since your system has actually been unprotected, I would do a System Reset. Your files can be saved. May have to reinstall some addons and software.

Check the tutorials above if not familiar with Restore or Reset process.

torre, Feb 3, 2017
  9. Marz Win User
    Malware bytes found 90 threats and removed them (but I saw that mostly were cookies)
    Microsoft Safety Scanner has far found 10 infected files and still running

I hope my Acronis backup was done before the infection - that would save me.
    System restore is not an option I think.
    Reset PC my last hope!

Will keep you informed
    Just to say thanks

Marz, Feb 3, 2017
  10. Marz Win User
    Unfortunately still without Windows defender. Is there a way to learn what is messed up ? I think that I do not have any virus now, but need to recover the 'damage' inflicted by the malware of which at least one was to deactivate defender. Otherwise I do not have any other issue.

11. Marz Win User
    I think that I found at least part of the problem. I have the registry \software\microsoft\windows defender disableantispyware and disableantimalware set to 0 where I read it must be 1. When I try to set it to 1, I get an ownership error. I also read that this is fixed by the tool regownit - but I still can't get ownership and possibly I am using wrong this tool. Any help please tp set this to 1

Windows Defender fails to Open - error [​IMG]

12. Marz Win User
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Defender fails to Open - error [​IMG]

13. Marz Win User

So far, I am still without Windows Defender with the same error, but otherwise the system is stable and operating normally. I have run some 6 virus scanners / antimalware software and it seams I have a clean system. Now I am pretty sure that I have some settings of Windows Defender messed up. Is there a way to know all the registry settings of a good Windows Defender should be to compare with mine? At this stage I am pretty sure it is a settings/permissions/registry/missing file? problem. I attach a snapshot of my windows defender registry

https://fud.community.services.suppo...c-ac4fb72dc155

Thema:

1. Windows Defender fails to Open - error - Similar Threads - Defender fails Open

2. windows defender error when opening it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender error when opening it: I tryed everything completely reseting this pc, every video on youtube but i still cant open windows defender because of this error "Your It administrator has limited access to some areas of this app..." can someone help me with it?...
  3. windows defender error when opening it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows defender error when opening it: I tryed everything completely reseting this pc, every video on youtube but i still cant open windows defender because of this error "Your It administrator has limited access to some areas of this app..." can someone help me with it?...
  4. Updating Windows Defender Antivirus fails with Error 0x80070643

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating Windows Defender Antivirus fails with Error 0x80070643: Hey. Update fails for Win10 Home.It used to not even show as an update in Win Update, and Defender just didn't work at some point. Then I followed steps to delete logs/folders through powershell after stopping relevant services, and now it at least gives the error above.It...
  5. Updating Windows Defender Antivirus fails with Error 0x80070643

Updating Windows Defender Antivirus fails with Error 0x80070643: Hey. Update fails for Win10 Home.It used to not even show as an update in Win Update, and Defender just didn't work at some point. Then I followed steps to delete logs/folders through powershell after stopping relevant services, and now it at least gives the error above.It...
  6. Updating Windows Defender Antivirus fails with Error 0x80070643

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows Defender will not open

Windows Defender will not open: Hello Windows Defender does not open after updating Windows, and by clicking on the icon it shows an error you need a new program to open this Windows Defender link...
  8. Open SCM failed error and Control service failed error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open SCM failed error and Control service failed error: I get Open SCM failed error and Control service failed error when i turn on on or restart my computer i have tried cmd and services but no use....Do Anyone have any idea on how to fix this??...
  9. Windows Defender scheduled scans failing with 0x2 error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender scheduled scans failing with 0x2 error: Hi, This problem is occurring on a new Dell laptop (Latitude 7480 with Windows 10 Pro 1809, auto-updates turned on). The problem started a week or two ago when Windows Defender reported no recent successful scans. I can run a scan manually with no problems. However, the...
  10. Windows Defender Will Not Open

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Will Not Open: I am using Windows 10. Today, I downloaded a picture from a Google search. My computer froze immediately afterwards. I tried to open Windows Defender to run a security check. Nothing happened. I tried several different ways to open it and all resulted in nothing happening so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. erro 0x800b100 windows defender