Windows 10: Windows Defender files not deleting while cleaning up

Discus and support Windows Defender files not deleting while cleaning up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've recently been having an issue where performing disk cleanup on non critical windows defender files doesn't delete them but fills them up ever so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by John VTF, Apr 13, 2024.

1. John VTF Win User

Windows Defender files not deleting while cleaning up

I've recently been having an issue where performing disk cleanup on non critical windows defender files doesn't delete them but fills them up ever so slightly. It was 15mb before and now it's 26.8mb after performing disk cleanup. Is there a manual way to delete the files in their directory by any chance?

:)

John VTF, Apr 13, 2024
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Apr 13, 2024
  3. All files on Downloads folder gone after updating windows defender

Hi,

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to recover the deleted files in Windows Defender and check if it helps.

• In the search box type as ‘Windows Defender’ and click on it.
    • Under the tab ‘History’ select the option ‘Quarantined items’.
    • Click on ‘View Details’ and check if any files are available.
    • If the files are present then click on the file and click on ‘Restore’.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Apr 13, 2024
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Unable to delete temporary files

Hi Sumit,

Looks like you are running out of storage space, let's walk you through the steps of running
    Disc cleanup for your Windows 10 device.

To delete temporary files, kindly follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
    • Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If the suggestions above didn't work, feel free to post back so we can further troubleshoot.

Ferdz Amp, Apr 13, 2024
Thema:

1. Windows Defender files not deleting while cleaning up - Similar Threads - Defender files deleting

2. Windows Defender files not deleting while cleaning up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender files not deleting while cleaning up: I've recently been having an issue where performing disk cleanup on non critical windows defender files doesn't delete them but fills them up ever so slightly. It was 15mb before and now it's 26.8mb after performing disk cleanup. Is there a manual way to delete the files in...
  3. Windows Defender files not deleting while cleaning up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender files not deleting while cleaning up: I've recently been having an issue where performing disk cleanup on non critical windows defender files doesn't delete them but fills them up ever so slightly. It was 15mb before and now it's 26.8mb after performing disk cleanup. Is there a manual way to delete the files in...
  4. Disk clean up is not deleting files

Disk clean up is not deleting files: When I run Disk Clean-up it does not delete the files I have selected.I run Clean Up and then re-boot and still there 8gig + of files.How can I delete the file Clean Up does not?...
  5. Disk clean up is not deleting files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk clean up is not deleting files: When I run Disk Clean-up it does not delete the files I have selected.I run Clean Up and then re-boot and still there 8gig + of files.How can I delete the file Clean Up does not?...
  6. 60GB of Windows Update Clean-up files not deleting on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    60GB of Windows Update Clean-up files not deleting on Windows 11: I recently checked my drive and discovered that the Windows update clean-up files are eating up my storage like a lot, the disk cleanup tool says it's taking up 64.5GB of my storage. I've tried deleting them through settings and the disk cleanup tool but both failed and just...
  7. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files: Hi All I have a problem where I am unable to delete 4.19Gb and growing after to running the Windows 10 Disk Clean Up function.It runs and identifies the files to delete but when i click OK it goes through the motions, but once I check if the files have been deleted they are...
  8. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files: Hi All I have a problem where I am unable to delete 4.19Gb and growing after to running the Windows 10 Disk Clean Up function.It runs and identifies the files to delete but when i click OK it goes through the motions, but once I check if the files have been deleted they are...
  9. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Best way to clean up/ delete files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to clean up/ delete files?: I’ve been trying to run a virus scan on my Windows 10 laptop, but every time I run it my laptop overheats. I apparently have over 300k files. Is their any way I can lessen these files so my computer doesn’t overheat? (I don’t know anything that would help besides %temp% and...