Windows 10: Windows Defender finds virus in deleted folder every time I run a quick scan and can’t...

Discus and support Windows Defender finds virus in deleted folder every time I run a quick scan and can’t... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’ve turned on hidden folders but I can’t find the folder anywhere. Could the files still be present somehow? submitted by /u/ucalex [link]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ucalex, Apr 6, 2021.

1. /u/ucalex Win User

Windows Defender finds virus in deleted folder every time I run a quick scan and can’t...

I’ve turned on hidden folders but I can’t find the folder anywhere. Could the files still be present somehow?

submitted by /u/ucalex
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ucalex, Apr 6, 2021
  2. BTC55 Win User

Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option.

My options are:

• Scan
    • Advanced Scan
    • Full Scan
    • Custom Scan
    • Windows Defender Offline scan
    Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete.

Is a quick scan available?

How do I restore this feature?

BTC55, Apr 6, 2021
  3. Windows Defender Is Slow To Complete A 'Quick Scan'

Hello,

With the issue description, I understand that you have some query regarding Windows defender quick scan and its taking longer than usual. I will certainly answer your query.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.

a. The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both

b. Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.

c. A computer's hard drive size.

d. Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).

e. Whether external drives are included in the scan.

f. Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.

g. Other running processes and programs in the background.

h. Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.

Generally there are three types of scans offered by most anti-virus and anti-malware programs:

Quick Scan only checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. The length of time for performing a Quick scan will vary but it generally takes about 15-30
    minutes so they can be performed daily.

Full Scan is much more comprehensive since it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing a Full scan will also vary but because it is so comprehensive, this type of
    scan can take several hours. Most Full Scans can be scheduled to run late at night when not using the computer so you can perform a weekly scan without having to monitor it.

Custom Scan allows the user to select any files and folders on the hard drive to be scanned.

To speed up a scan, clean out temporary (junk) files first, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one and do not use the computer during the scan.

Method 1

First, I would suggest you to refer to the kb article mentioned below and refer to the section “Turn Windows Defender real-time protection on or off “ and check if it helps.

Stay protected with Windows Security

When you disable Antivirus:

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable
    it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2

I would suggest you to follow the steps to remove the temporary files.

Step 1: Open Settings.

Step 2: Access System.

Step 3: Choose Storage and select This PC (or any hard drive).

Step 4: Click Temporary files and recycle bin in the options.

Step 5: Tap Delete temporary files and click Delete.

If issue persist feel free to write us back for any further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Kumar Ravi, Apr 6, 2021
  4. Windows Defender finds virus in deleted folder every time I run a quick scan and can’t...

Windows Defender quick scan fails to complete

When I try to employ a "Quick Scan" procedure in Defender, the scan progress indicator, coloured green, stops half way and does not complete.

The files scanned number continues the count as if it is doing a full scan.

My Windows 10 updates are correct as our the virus definitions etc.

Any suggestions on why the "quick" scan fails to complete?

Thanks

[Original title: Windows 10 Defender]

Tony Lawrence, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender finds virus in deleted folder every time I run a quick scan and can’t...

1. Windows Defender finds virus in deleted folder every time I run a quick scan and can’t... - Similar Threads - Defender finds virus

2. Unable to run quick scan on window defender.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to run quick scan on window defender.: i have the attached error message. can someone knows how to fix it guide me on this please. have to say that i am noob with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unable-to-run-quick-scan-on-window-defender/424e0795-0bde-4795-8e4f-bc30cff9f987
  3. Windows Defender ; quick scan.

Windows Defender ; quick scan.: When I start a scan on Windows Defender, it lasts around two minutes then stops scanning. Can anyone help please ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-quick-scan/f8f546ed-8728-418a-a754-eb4a7116ea89
  4. Defender Quick Scan runs all the time.

Defender Quick Scan runs all the time.: Split from this thread. Im having the same problem quick scan just runs and runs, I update windows pretty much everytime I start up. it appears to be up to date...
  5. Windows Defender finds a threat every time I run a quick scan, but never can I find...

Windows Defender finds a threat every time I run a quick scan, but never can I find...: Windows Defender always tells me it found a threat whenever I run a scan, even consecutively. But the Protection History is always empty just 'no recent operations'. Then I restarted the Windows Security Center as some suggestted, by these commands: reg add...
  6. Can You Run Defender Quick Scans Automatically?

Can You Run Defender Quick Scans Automatically?: All my PCs routinely show a yellow marker on the Defender tray icon nagging me that a Quick Scan is due. Is there a way of configuring Defender to run these Quick Scans automatically when due? 135489
  7. Defender virus scan

Defender virus scan: When I try to scan in Windows Defender, I get a notice in red: "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization." What does this mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-virus-scan/91a276bf-4e55-434a-81f5-6a85212ee6d7"
  8. When I run a quick scan or full scan on my defender virus protection, the scan locks up at...

When I run a quick scan or full scan on my defender virus protection, the scan locks up at...: After the scan locks up, I can only hit cancel to end the scan. This makes the computer work at a snails pace until I run the custom scan. This then allows me to turn the computer off. When I turn the computer back on, it runs slower than normal, and the mute button works...
  9. Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows Defender - Quick Scan: Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option. My options are: Scan Advanced Scan Full Scan Custom Scan Windows Defender Offline scan Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete. Is a quick scan available? How do I restore this...
  10. Defender Quar'd Virus but I can't find it & delete it

in Windows 10 Support
    Defender Quar'd Virus but I can't find it & delete it: I have a new mini pc. Updated it and Defender found a virus. But when I got to delete it the system doesn't show it anywhere. Does Defender AUTO DELETE and then forget to tell you? [img] 113095