Windows 10: Windows defender firewall is blocking all after cumulative update?

Discus and support Windows defender firewall is blocking all after cumulative update? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, This started this morning after I let my laptop do it's cumulative update. I don't know if it's relevant, but it had to be updated and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jeffyboy, Jan 24, 2019.

1. jeffyboy Win User

Windows defender firewall is blocking all after cumulative update?

Hi all, This started this morning after I let my laptop do it's cumulative update. I don't know if it's relevant, but it had to be updated and restarted twice as the update was still shown as pending after the first update and restart. Model is Acer Helios 300 2017 model.

The symptoms and steps:
    • Wifi working, updated windows and restarted, took laptop to school - didn't check wifi before leaving was in a hurry and had no reason to assume it wasn't working.
    • Arrived at school and couldn't connect to the free wifi. All networks were shown, but connecting would take a really long time then just say connected, no internet access.
    • As the school's had problems before, I got out my phone and turned on personal hotspot, exactly the same thing - long time to connect, then said 'connected no internet'.
    • Ran troubleshooting on the connection and it said "Wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration"
    • Went to the device settings and made sure IPv4 &6 were set to obtain IP and DNS automatically and restarted, no dice.
    • Tried Code: ipconfig /flushdns[/quote] to no avail.
    • Googled the issue and then ran the following commands:
      Code: netsh winsock reset netsh int ip reset netsh int tcp reset[/quote] and rebooted.
    • Tried the following commands:
      Code: ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew[/quote] as all the internet guides said, and got my first issue - both said all adaptors had no media
    • At this point I tried connecting via bluetooth and USB to my phone, with the same result as before - 'connected, no internet' & troubleshooting said "no valid IP configuration"
    • I now went to services and checked all the services recommended in other "no valid IP configuration" threads here were running.
    • I now reset my network settings, deleted my devices and tried various iterations of the previous steps several times and tried a third wifi network before giving up and heading home, assuming at home I could manually set the IP and DNS and use the ethernet.
    • When I got home, I plugged my laptop into the router via ethernet and got the same message "connected, no internet", trouble shooting said "no valid IP configuration" as before. I tried manually setting the IP4 settings for the home network, still no dice.
    • I was now about ready to reset windows as I figured I'd ruled out hardware and didn't want to waste anymore time, when I restarted one last time and this time Windows troubleshooting said it was a problem with windows firewall rule - and what looked like gibberish or maybe hexadecimal?
    • Turned off windows firewall and my internet now works on all adaptors and networks, but if I turn it back on then all pages say "no connection".
    • Tried to restore windows defender firewall to defaults, issue persists.

I do have kaspersky internet installed, but it's not allowed to auto run and wasn't running at the time of the update as I always turn it off before running OS or major application updates & it hasn't been turned bakc on since to keep it ruled out. I regularly turn it off when gaming or whatever then turn it back on afterwards and have never had a problem with it being turned on or off before, nor have I ever touched windows defender firewall settings before today.

I guess I want to sort out the fault with windows defender naturally, but also confirm with you guys that this is the bug and also understand if it's something I did that I could not do again, hence why I shared everything that happened.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jeff

:)

jeffyboy, Jan 24, 2019
  2. Arctucas Win User

Windows Firewall blocking websites

I have blocked IP addresses, e.g. 255.255.255.255, not URLs, e.g. somewebsite.co m.

As far as unblocking, look at your Windows Firewall rules. Do you see anything that is blocked? If you do, click on the Scope tab and see what is listed there.

Arctucas, Jan 24, 2019
  3. Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Jan 24, 2019
  4. Windows defender firewall is blocking all after cumulative update?

Windows Firewall blocking websites

Windows Firewall can't block specific websites, only port numbers (HTTP uses 80 or 8080). More likely, Windows Firewall is blocking the Windows Update Service or some other critical update application and/or port number that prevents updates from happening.

As twilyth pointed out, this is abnormal and likely caused by some form of malware. If you even found a the offending rule in Windows Firewall, the malware will likely put it back to the way it was within seconds.

Does http://download.microsoft.com open for you? It should redirect a few times and end up at: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/default.aspx

Have you tried to ping download.microsoft.com? I did it a few times so you should be able to get a response off it.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows defender firewall is blocking all after cumulative update?

1. Windows defender firewall is blocking all after cumulative update? - Similar Threads - defender firewall blocking

2. Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates: I want to use Windows Defender Firewall to block outbound connections. I've configured it to block outbound connections and added a rule to allow the browser. However Windows Defender Antivirus then cannot download antivirus updates. I've tried adding a rule to allow...
  3. Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates: I want to use Windows Defender Firewall to block outbound connections. I've configured it to block outbound connections and added a rule to allow the browser. However Windows Defender Antivirus then cannot download antivirus updates. I've tried adding a rule to allow...
  4. Windows Defender Firewall - Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender Firewall - Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of...: [ATTACH] In my lab, Windows Defender Firewall has started to block all incoming connections ("shields up" mode). You must be an administrator to enable or disable this setting (Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed apps) locally on the...
  5. Windows Defender Firewall is blocking printing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Defender Firewall is blocking printing: I have a Canon LBP 5050N printer on my LAN at a fixed IP address 192.168.0.10. This is a new PC running Windows 10 Build 19041 i.e. the latest, May edition. Windows Defender Firewall is blocking printing. If I turn WDF off for private networks, printing operates. I've...
  6. Block all in/out traffic except to a single IP in Windows Defender Firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Block all in/out traffic except to a single IP in Windows Defender Firewall: I have a Private workgroup network with Internet enabled. On one of my PC running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, I want to block all incoming and outgoing connections both LAN/Internet except to a single PC. PC-1 has IP address 192.168.1.100 PC-2 has IP address 192.168.1.50 I want...
  7. Windows Defender Firewall is blocking Microsoft services

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender Firewall is blocking Microsoft services: Hello, I noticed that after the latest optional software update for Windows 10, the Windows Defender firewall is blocking Microsoft services: KB4550945 In my case, it is not allowing downloading or logging in on the App Store. It even blocks logging in to outlook.com via...
  8. Defender firewall block

Defender firewall block: This opened when I logged in: Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of SchedulerConsole on all public and private networks. Name: SchedulerConsole Publisher: Unknown Path: C:\program files...
  9. Windows defender firewall blocked app

Windows defender firewall blocked app: What does this mean? When I tried opening iTunes on my laptop C:\program files\windowsapps\appleinc.itunes_12096.3.41072.0_x64__nzyj5cx40ttqa\itunes.exe...
  10. Windows 10 Firewall Blocks Defender Update

Windows 10 Firewall Blocks Defender Update: Hi, all. I just joined minutes ago. My Windows 10 Firewall blocks my Defender from downloading new definitions (WTF???). It used to work fine. If I turn off Firewall, it updates no problem. I've created as many inbound and outbound rules as I can think of for all of the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender blocked app after update

2. is windows firewall stopping windows defender from updating ?