Windows 10: Windows defender flagging the same "threat" I marked as an exclusion every day

Discus and support Windows defender flagging the same "threat" I marked as an exclusion every day in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a program on my computer that windows defender thinks is a threat but is actually not. I have marked the file itself, the folder its in, and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Skcamero, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Windows defender flagging the same "threat" I marked as an exclusion every day

I have a program on my computer that windows defender thinks is a threat but is actually not. I have marked the file itself, the folder its in, and the process it runs as exclusions to the scan, yet every day I have to restore it from quarantine as it keeps flagging it. I do not have an option to allow it (I used to, which would work for a few weeks before it popped up again, but it would seem that was lost in an update at some point), only to remove it or restore it.

I tried using the task scheduler to change the scan to weekly and thus I'd only have to restore it weekly (I personally think a daily scan is a bit excessive, given this is the only thing it's ever found, but it wouldn't bother me if not for this specific issue). Has anyone run into this and knows how to make it stop doing that? It's really getting annoying, especially when I already marked it as an exclusion and windows defender has apparently decided to just ignore that.

submitted by /u/Skcamero
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Skcamero, Mar 22, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

3. Aerdian Win User
    Allowing a threat in Windows Defender.

To add a file exclusion to Windows 10:

• Press Windows key and type Windows Defender. Press Enter.
    • Choose Virus & threat protection.
    • Choose Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Then, Add or remove exclusions.
    • Press the plus sign next to Add exclusion.
    • Choose File.
    • Navigate to the file and choose it to add the exclusion.

Note: It is not recommended under most circumstances to add an exclusion unless you know it is not malware.

Aerdian, Mar 22, 2021
  4. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Windows defender flagging the same "threat" I marked as an exclusion every day

Unable to Remove Exclusions from Windows Defender

Thank you for posting back. If you trust a file, file type, folder, or a process that Windows Defender Antivirus has detected as malicious, you can stop Windows Defender Antivirus from alerting you or blocking the program by adding the file to
    the exclusion list. It seems that it was added automatically. We suggest that you follow these steps:

• Go to Settings and select Update & security.
    • Click Windows Defender.
    • Look for Exclusions and select Add an exclusion.
    • Navigate to the file, folder, or process, and select Exclude this file.

If the steps provided did not work, we recommend that you boot your device to
    Safe Mode
    and redo the process.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

Windows defender flagging the same "threat" I marked as an exclusion every day

1. Windows defender flagging the same "threat" I marked as an exclusion every day - Similar Threads - defender flagging same

2. I figured out how to remove allowed threats and exclusion from windows defender that was...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I figured out how to remove allowed threats and exclusion from windows defender that was...: Hello, I am BCA Student.Firstly, I tell This problem came throuh virus attack on your pc. Virus Automatic Create Files on Registry thats not allowed you to changes their Some Microsft Defender Features.So, If You Not remove All viruses from your computer then firstly do this...
  3. Windows Defender says same "Threat removed or restored" every day

Windows Defender says same "Threat removed or restored" every day: Just got a toast notification from Windows Defender, and now looking at the protection history I see that once per day, every day, since December 26th there is the same entry:Threat removed or restored - SevereDetected: Trojan:MSIL/Injector.TSHP!MTBStatus: Removed or...
  4. WINDOWS DEFENDER VIRUS AND THREAT PROTECTION "DEFAULT EXCLUSIONS"

WINDOWS DEFENDER VIRUS AND THREAT PROTECTION "DEFAULT EXCLUSIONS": I Accidentally wiped the Default "Exclusions" in Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection, and I don't remember the exclusions, How can i Restore the default Exclusions?NOTE: I tried to reset the windows defender App, it displays unable to reset...
  5. windows defender exclusions

windows defender exclusions: My excluded list does not show up..so i cannot remove an added exclusion.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-exclusions/86936ada-950c-4a94-8bc3-28269b62a257
  6. Windows installing same driver every day.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installing same driver every day.: Hello. Windows trying to install same display driver every day several times per day. It started to happen about month ago. Any solutions? [ATTACH]...
  7. Windows defender keeps flagging Threats even though I have removed them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender keeps flagging Threats even though I have removed them: I deleted Nox (android emulator) using safe mode as it would not let me uninstall it normally. After that I ran a few scans and even after removing or quarantining the threats every subsequent scan they still show up. I ran a malwarebytes scan and nothing showed up there so...
  8. Viruses can mark themselves to Exclusion List of Windows Defender

Viruses can mark themselves to Exclusion List of Windows Defender: What i have noted using Windows Defender is that viruses can easily mark themselves in EXCEPTION LIST. This needs to be fixed. Normally Windows asks for permission for performing any critical actions but no such permission is asked but still viruses makes them to the...
  9. Windows Defender yellow exclamation mark - but no problems flagged

Windows Defender yellow exclamation mark - but no problems flagged: Hello! The task bar icon says 'Actions recommended', but no problem found in the Windows Defender security center 'Security at a glance' components. Anyone knows what could have caused this ? 123801
  10. Windows Defender yellow exclamation mark - but no problems flagged

Windows Defender yellow exclamation mark - but no problems flagged: A few days ago I set up a new PC (Windows 10 Professional 64-bit) with Norton as the security provider. The Windows Defender taskbar icon shows a yellow exclamation mark. When I hover over it, the hint says "Actions Recommended": [ATTACH] But when I click the taskbar icon...