Windows 10: Windows Defender flags and deletes our products as malware

Discus and support Windows Defender flags and deletes our products as malware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft team, My company develops and markets computer monitoring software for home and business PCs. All our software either contains a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Valery_742, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Windows Defender flags and deletes our products as malware

Dear Microsoft team,

My company develops and markets computer monitoring software for home and business PCs. All our software either contains a keylogger or functions mainly as a keylogger. Many other products on the market also have similar keylogger functionality, designed to run in the background for legitimate reasons, to monitor the computer activity of employees for employers or children for parents. An example of such monitoring software is HomeGuard Keylogger hxxps://veridium.net/homeguard-activity-monitor/keylogger/.

Our problem is that Windows Defender is flagging new versions of our software as Trojan or PUA and preventing installation by our customers. Defender sometimes evens flags previous versions. We urgently need to know how to correct this issue.

Our experience is that Microsoft Defender does not classify monitoring products in a consistent way. Defender classifies some as Trojan, some as MonitoringTool, some as PUA and others as clean. As a result, some of these monitoring products will download and install without being flagged by Defender, while others are flagged and deleted or quarantined.

Please advise us on how we can prevent our monitoring software from being flagged as malware by Windows Defender.

Thank you.

Regards,

Valery.

:)

Valery_742, Jun 23, 2020

2. Windows Defender Fails Malware Test

Naw... I'll just stick by Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully hotfix patched (& current on that note), for now @ least, & doing what I do, to get THIS kind of security analysis score:

Windows Defender flags and deletes our products as malware APKBelarcAdvisor5of10ScoreBETTERThan417Before.jpg

I never suck in virus' either! The 2 the times I thought I did, the past 15 years now? They were my own fault (running 2 antivirus once, & another I don't know WHAT caused it, or I can't recall specifics anymore) in "false positives"!

Ever since I started implementing a BOAT LOAD of things ANYONE can do, if they take 45 min. - 1 hr. running, or doing:

• BELARC advisor
    • Using some security & speed oriented .reg file hacks
    • gpedit.msc (altering various policies for better security)
    • secpol.msc (hardening default security policies)
    • lusrmgr.msc (hardening default userrights)
    • regedit.exe (registry hive ACL rights)
    • explorer.exe (NTFS rights)
    • Turning off java/javascript & ActiveX/ActiveScripting in browsers
    • Using Tcp/IP ports filtrating (easy to do in IP properties)
    • Turning off Services I do NOT use that may have holes
    • AntiVirus (AntiVir, NOD32, AVG, or Norton Corporate 10.2 edition (my favs @ least - I keep 1 resident, & one other as a 2nd opinion))
    • AntiSpyware program (I like AdAware & SpyBot + use both, 2nd opinion stuff again)
    • SEVERAL AntiRootkit programs (GMER, AVG, BitDefender, BlackLight, Rootkit Buster, Rootkit Revealer, AntiRootKit, Rootkit Hook Analyzer, Sophos - all many doctors opinions from what I feel IS the biggest threat out there now, rootkits)
    • + using a hardware NAT firewall in combination w/ a software firewall (ZoneAlarm used to be good, & the native Windows firewall isn't bad, except for noting outgoing packets)
    • Keeping up on Microsoft security patches to the OS & programs from them I use
    • Being SMART about not opening email attachments & also using TEXT or RTF as my email reading format too
    • After trimming services I do NOT use (& even the ones I don't as well, set disabled or not), I secure them ALL, per this thread:
    Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

• Using adbanner blocking HOSTS files (adbanners have been found to hold malicious code more than a few times the past 4-5 years now mind you)
    *HARD TO BELIEVE ON THAT NOTE OF ADBANNERS HOUSING MALWARES IN SCRIPT & MORE?

CHECK THIS, DATED TODAY 02/21/2007:

Microsoft apologises for serving malware

APC's July issue is on sale now! | TechRadar

*Smile Windows Defender flags and deletes our products as malware :)

* YOU DO ALL OF THAT? Yes, You CAN be safe online & use Windows, just takes a bit of work... 1 hr. implementing it all, & maybe another 1/2 hr. testing it (like when you secure services - I did a BIG list, but not every possible service under the sun, because I have not run them ALL!)

MS ships their Operating Systems 'generic' enough to run on anything FULL FUNCTION, right outta the box... this can be its 'problem' too!

APK

P.S.=> Funny thing is though, I don't think we'll EVER be "110% solid secure" unless we go OFFLINE... @ least not for another 5 yrs. or so & then I think we'll be REALLY close @ least!

Microsoft's taking the RIGHT steps, in the RIGHT direction in their apps & OS, & so are other vendors too... this is a GREAT trend!

Heck - funny thing is? Snort turned up a security hole the other day... a program you CAN use to defend yourself... mistakes & oversights get made is all, still now even.

Today? It's the "Wild West" still, not as bad as it used to be in the earlier days/decades, but still 'risky' to an extent... still in the Stone Age guys, you'll miss these days, when they are gone... apk

Alec§taar, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Windows Defender notification of malware detection

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate your continued patience on this issue.

At this point, I suggest you to update the Windows Defender program and check if it helps.

To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also, check if the detection is of the same malware file or not. Again, see if it is any specific program or a file you try to access which triggers the detection.

Additionally, view the log in Event Viewer to check if the malware is removed every time it is prompted.

To open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.
    You can view Windows Defender "Operational" events in Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender.

Kindly keep us posted, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Windows Defender flags and deletes our products as malware

Windows Defender Fails Malware Test

Microsoft’s very own antivirus software, Windows Live OneCare, was recently found to be failing Vista users, and now the same has been discovered for its free anti-spyware application. In tests carried out by Australian company Enex Testlab, Windows Defender struggled to detect just half of the malware which it was tested with, with the quick scan finding missing most of the malware and the full scan finding only 53.3%. It would be best to note that the test was financed by competing company PC Tools, which claims the test was unbiased, although the winning software (detecting 88.7% of malware) was PC Tools’ very own Spyware Doctor. Windows Defender was released as a final version in October 2006, so it is relatively new and of course (being free) costs less than Spyware Doctor.

Source: Techworld.com

Jimmy 2004, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender flags and deletes our products as malware

1. Windows Defender flags and deletes our products as malware - Similar Threads - Defender flags deletes

2. Our Product is being flagged by AV Defender. How do we get it whitelisted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Our Product is being flagged by AV Defender. How do we get it whitelisted?: Our company's product is being flagged by AV Defender.We have not had any issues with AV Defender in the past. Our product has never been flagged in the many years we have been distributing it.Just recently, AV Defender has begun flagging it upon installation. This could...
  3. Our Product is being flagged by AV Defender. How do we get it whitelisted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Our Product is being flagged by AV Defender. How do we get it whitelisted?: Our company's product is being flagged by AV Defender.We have not had any issues with AV Defender in the past. Our product has never been flagged in the many years we have been distributing it.Just recently, AV Defender has begun flagging it upon installation. This could...
  4. Our Product is being flagged by AV Defender. How do we get it whitelisted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Our Product is being flagged by AV Defender. How do we get it whitelisted?: Our company's product is being flagged by AV Defender.We have not had any issues with AV Defender in the past. Our product has never been flagged in the many years we have been distributing it.Just recently, AV Defender has begun flagging it upon installation. We would like...
  5. Windows Defender deleted by malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender deleted by malware: Few days ago, I tried installing a video game from the internet, after the installation my PC began to over heat, I received various pop up on the screen.. I went to my windows Defender but the error message was that my defenders was not found, I had to reinstall a new...
  6. Windows Defender deleted by malware

Windows Defender deleted by malware: Few days ago, I tried installing a video game from the internet, after the installation my PC began to over heat, I received various pop up on the screen.. I went to my windows Defender but the error message was that my defenders was not found, I had to reinstall a new...
  7. Windows Defender deleted by malware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Our companies application is flagged by Microsoft Defender as Misleading:Win32/Lodi. How to...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Our companies application is flagged by Microsoft Defender as Misleading:Win32/Lodi. How to...: Hello,Our software is being flagged by Microsoft Defender as a false positive. It makes it very hard for our users to install and trust the application. Realtime protection slows the application start by a lot. The sad part is that we tried contacting the Microsoft Support...
  9. Our companies application is flagged by Microsoft Defender as Misleading:Win32/Lodi. How to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Our companies application is flagged by Microsoft Defender as Misleading:Win32/Lodi. How to...: Hello,Our software is being flagged by Microsoft Defender as a false positive. It makes it very hard for our users to install and trust the application. Realtime protection slows the application start by a lot. The sad part is that we tried contacting the Microsoft Support...
  10. Our companies application is flagged by Microsoft Defender as Misleading:Win32/Lodi. How to...