Windows 10: Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App

Discus and support Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; CCleaner, one of the enormously popular free PC optimization suites for Windows, is now being detected as Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jul 29, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App

CCleaner, one of the enormously popular free PC optimization suites for Windows, is now being detected as Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) on Windows 10 after a recent update to Windows Defender platform.

CCleaner basically allows you to optimize your system using its scan checks for cookies, cached files, downloaded files in all the major browsers, and it also includes a comprehensive registry cleaner.

In a surprising move, Windows Defender Antivirus has started flagging CCleaner utility as Potentially Unwanted App.

Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) protection is a feature that allows Windows Defender Antivirus to detect and block unwanted apps.

Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App PUA-alert.jpg

According to user reports, Windows Defender flags CCleaner as a Potentially Unwanted Program with alert level low, but the CCleaner is not detected as a threat to the system and users can still manually allow the app to run on their systems.

In support documentation, Microsoft noted that PUAs are not categorized as viruses, malware or other types of threats, but such as apps could “adversely affect endpoint performance or use” and offer to install other apps that qualify as PUA.

Windows Defender also flags apps with ‘poor reputation’ as potentially unwanted program due to “certain kinds of undesirable behaviour”.

At the moment, it is not clear exactly why Microsoft has chosen to flag CCleaner and Windows Defender page also does not provide any information.

CCleaner is in touch with Microsoft

CCleaner has confirmed on Twitter that it’s working with Microsoft and the problem will be resolved soon.

“We’re in touch with Microsoft to resolve this as soon as possible,” a representative from CCleaner noted on Twitter.

If Windows Defender has blocked CCleaner on your system and you know that it can be trusted, you can allow the app under Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Threat history.

The post Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

CCleaner Identified as PUA

Nothing shows up here:

VirusTotal

Windows Defender reports CCleaner as "Potentially unwanted app" - CCleaner Bug Reporting - CCleaner Community Forums

Maybe uninstall it if using the free version and get the slim build.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Disable auto updates. Save settings to .ini file.

Latest CCleaner Version Released

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/147056-finally-dumping-ccleaner-looking-alternatives-post1801584.html#post1801584

Callender, Jul 29, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    CCleaner

Hi ITypeFast

If you wish to continue using CCleaner, then that is most likely being blocked by Controlled Folder Access and you need to add CCleaner to the list of allowed Apps

Open Windows Defender Security Center

Go to Virus & threat protection - Virus & threat protection settings

Scroll down to Controlled folder access

From there, you can add CCleaner to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent it from being blocked

DaveM121, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App

Windows Defender Scans

Check again in tab Applications. Then scroll down to category Utilities. There you should see Windows Defender listed.

Jsssssssss, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App

1. Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App - Similar Threads - Defender flags CCleaner

2. potentially unwanted app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    potentially unwanted app: so my computer has been running fine and no issues, and later today i tried to log in and it let me but whenever i restart it just shows a gray screen and i can't do anything....it takes forever to go away, it says this is the issue but i dont know how to fix it. and it said...
  3. potentially unwanted app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    potentially unwanted app: so my computer has been running fine and no issues, and later today i tried to log in and it let me but whenever i restart it just shows a gray screen and i can't do anything....it takes forever to go away, it says this is the issue but i dont know how to fix it. and it said...
  4. potential unwanted apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    potential unwanted apps: i did a scan on my hp computer, found a potential unwanted app. now in the taskbar over the windows security shield their is a yellow triangle and i click on shield and it says windows security action recommend}. i click on shield and it takes me to protection history and...
  5. Windows Defender can't delete a Potentially Unwanted App

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender can't delete a Potentially Unwanted App: I have Deleted the files. from download folder and the temp folder but still the status is showing active. and in actions there is no option to delete it....
  6. Potentially Unwanted Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potentially Unwanted Apps: On my Windows Security, I have been getting alerts about potentially unwanted apps. When I go to it, it shows two; Program:Win32/Uwamson.A!ml and PUA:Win32/Puamson.A!ml. I don't know what these are, and it does not give me an option to remove them. I looked on YouTube, but...
  7. Potentially unwanted App

Potentially unwanted App: PUA:Win32/LittleRegClean Whenever I click remove nothing is happening. How do I get rid of this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/potentially-unwanted-app/ab605f5a-4794-49ff-88af-6c5ac10cd3ea
  8. CCleaner lagged as potentially unwanted by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 News
    CCleaner lagged as potentially unwanted by Windows Defender: Microsoft Defender Antivirus flags certain CCleaner installers as potentially unwanted software according to a new database entry on the company's malware encyclopedia site. CCleaner is a popular tool for Windows to remove temporary files to free up disk space. It comes with...
  9. windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software

windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software: Just started today. Surely MS doesn't mean to flag the CCleaner folks. From Windows Security > Virus & threat protection Detection: PUA:Win32/CCleaner Date: 7/27/2020 7:23 AM Details: This program has potentially unwanted behavior. Severity: Low Insider build: 20H2, OS...
  10. Potentially unwanted app

Potentially unwanted app: Recent scans are showing PUA:Win32/MyWebSearch loaded on to my PC on 15 June in file: \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy4\Users\User\Desktop\C\Users\Andy\AppData\LocalLow\HeadlineAlley_29\bar\Cache\1CBDAD6E.cab. I've run the Remove action in protection history several times,...