Windows 10: Windows Defender for VDI - error trying to update security intelligence - 0x80070005

Discus and support Windows Defender for VDI - error trying to update security intelligence - 0x80070005 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi We've configured a UNC share for VM's to fetch defender updates and have configured group policy correctly so the VM's download from the share.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DaveBaker1, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Windows Defender for VDI - error trying to update security intelligence - 0x80070005

Hi

We've configured a UNC share for VM's to fetch defender updates and have configured group policy correctly so the VM's download from the share.

Our VM's are not updating - but the error suggests the SYSTEM account does not have access. I have validated that the SYSTEM account does have access by running psexec -i -s cmd.exe, and then browsing to our \\windefender\definition\mpam-fe.exe file and I am able to run the .exe without error, and defender updates fine, so it's clearly not an access problem.

Windows Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update security intelligence.

New security intelligence Version: 1.331.1570.0
    Previous security intelligence Version: 1.329.2929.0
    Update Source: Shared security intelligence Root
    Security intelligence Type: AntiSpyware
    Update Type: Full
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Current Engine Version: 1.1.17800.5
    Previous Engine Version: 1.1.17700.4
    Error code: 0x80070005
    Error description: Access is denied.

I have seen this error reported on a seperate thread and the advice from microsoft was to run /sfcscan and the typical 'repair' options for the image - this is unnecessary so can someone explain why we see this error? Note, there are no UAC issues here - the logged in user can launc the mpam-fe.exe package over the network and this updates the VM , and the SYSTEM account can also do this - so why do the group policy settings fail to update teh VM's? What is the workaround or fix for this please?

Thanks

David

:)

DaveBaker1, Feb 23, 2021

2. windows defender security intelligence update failed

hi,

i try to configure VDI update for windows defender..the definition file was unpack to file server ..i set the folder security to everyone. but the update still failed.

Windows Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update security intelligence.

New security intelligence Version: 1.315.1006.0

Previous security intelligence Version: 1.315.639.0

Update Source: Shared security intelligence Root

Security intelligence Type: AntiSpyware

Update Type: Delta

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Current Engine Version: 1.1.17000.7

Previous Engine Version: 1.1.17000.7

Error code: 0x80070005

Error description: Access is denied.

Vince Tsoi, Feb 23, 2021
  3. windows defender security intelligence update failed

Hi,

i always no problem for the windows update and run the windows defender definition update manually.

what i refer is what i configure the policy for VDI client for intelligence security update, unpack the defender definition file on file share and point this file server for client id. it got error said access denied. i already configure everyone full access

Vince Tsoi, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Luca Posa Win User

Windows Defender for VDI - error trying to update security intelligence - 0x80070005

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.323.1916.0) - Error 0x80010108

Hello,

Windows update give me the following error: "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.323.1916.0) - Error 0x80010108". I have tried some suggestions (see

here
    ) for the same error but different version of the update, but it didn't help.

Any help?

Thank you

Luca Posa, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender for VDI - error trying to update security intelligence - 0x80070005

1. Windows Defender for VDI - error trying to update security intelligence - 0x80070005 - Similar Threads - Defender VDI error

2. Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates: Hey there everyone, Having an issue across a few devices in the family. For whatever reason, Security Intelligence updates are not actually able to update on their own. If I go to "Virus & Threat Protection" in Windows then check for Security Intelligence updates, it just...
  3. Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates: Hey there everyone, Having an issue across a few devices in the family. For whatever reason, Security Intelligence updates are not actually able to update on their own. If I go to "Virus & Threat Protection" in Windows then check for Security Intelligence updates, it just...
  4. Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. 0x80070643 error while installing Security Intelligence Update For Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80070643 error while installing Security Intelligence Update For Windows Defender: I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home and 4 GB RAM . I am not able to install Security Updates on my PC for a few days.Please help.....Can I use another free antivirus instead of Windows Defender?I think this update won't affect my PC if I am using other antivirus.Any help...
  6. 0x80070643 error while installing Security Intelligence Update For Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x80070643 error while installing Security Intelligence Update For Windows Defender: I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home and 4 GB RAM . I am not able to install Security Updates on my PC for a few days.Please help.....Can I use another free antivirus instead of Windows Defender?I think this update won't affect my PC if I am using other antivirus.Any help...
  7. Windows Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus gives error...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus gives error...: Title. I've just reinstalled Windows because of the same problem, now I did it again, clean install and I get the same error when I try to update my Windows. submitted by /u/dadybosma [link] [comments]...
  8. windows defender security intelligence update failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows defender security intelligence update failed: hi, i try to configure VDI update for windows defender..the definition file was unpack to file server ..i set the folder security to everyone. but the update still failed. Windows Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update security intelligence. New...
  9. Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus: Hi, I have these messages in windows update history: Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 Version 1.313.2340.0 Failed to install on 4/25/2020 - 0x8024000b KB2267602 Version 1.313.2261.0 Failed to install on 4/24/2020 - 0x8024000b...
  10. Security intelligence updates for Windows Defender Outdated!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Security intelligence updates for Windows Defender Outdated!: It's stuck at The latest security intelligence update is: Version: 1.307.2344.0 Released: 1/14/2020 6:47:16 PM https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates But the Change logs still goes on:...