Windows 10: Windows Defender found a virus after a full scan. Is it safe now? What file was it?

Discus and support Windows Defender found a virus after a full scan. Is it safe now? What file was it? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I ran a "full scan" with Windows Defender yesterday on my Windows 10 Samsung Laptop -- which is updated every time there's a new update. Here's the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PCook0x00, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Windows Defender found a virus after a full scan. Is it safe now? What file was it?

I ran a "full scan" with Windows Defender yesterday on my Windows 10 Samsung Laptop -- which is updated every time there's a new update. Here's the result:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PxCook/Share/master/xplt.png

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PxCook/Share/master/xplt2.png

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PxCook/Share/master/xplt3.png

Exploit:Win32/Pdfjsc.Q (Severe)

9/26/2020 7:28 AM (Active)

I immediately clicked on "Start actions" and disconnected from my Wi-Fi. I believe this came from one of the PDFs (from different sources) I downloaded a few days ago. I don't know if I actually "ran the virus" (a.k.a. opened the infected PDF) or if Windows Defender found it despite the fact that the infected PDF has never been opened.

I'd like to know a few things:

[1] Did Windows Defender actually handle the virus? Meaning, is it safe to connect to my Wi-Fi and use my PC as usual?

[2] How can I find the specific file that triggered this? If you see the three images I posted above, Windows Defender does not show which file/path this came from. Knowing this would be really really helpful because I wanna keep my other PDFs, though I'd probably delete the infected one.

[3] Should I format my PC?

[4] What does "9/26/2020 7:28 AM (Active)" this active flag mean? Was the virus running in the background on my machine before I ran a full scan?

Thank you!!

submitted by /u/PCook0x00
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/PCook0x00, Sep 27, 2020
  2. oemSoft Win User

How to scan anti-virus with windows Defender?

For windows 10, I would like to know on how to scan anti-virus with windows Defender, when I select a file and right click, there is no anti-virus for scanning for windows defender and how to make windows defender update automatically?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

oemSoft, Sep 27, 2020
  3. Windows Defender realtime scanning will not switch on - it detects another anti-virus product.

Windows Defender realtime scanning will not switch on, and the message suggests there is another anti-virus product present but if there is it does show up in Window 10 UI.

The long story is that I am troubleshooting a problem with application software. The manufacturer suggest removing Bitdefender because there product is incompatible. I thought I would give this a try, if only to element Bitdefender as a cause.

Firstly, I upgraded from Bitdefender 2016 to 2017 to see if that made a difference. The application still failed so I decided to try removal.

• I used the standard uninstall to remove Bitdefender 2017, rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I download the uninstall application for Bitdefender 2017, ran it then rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I checked the file system and all Bitdefender files have been deleted.
    • I check the registry and found a couple of references to Bitdefender Wallet, then deleted these.
    • I rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I reran the uninstall application for Bitdefender 2017 then rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection.
    I can find no traces of Bitdefender so I wonder why Windows Defender detects another anti-virus software. I've check other posts but couldn't find additional steps for uninstalling an anti-virus software. Any suggestions?

Moved from Windows 10

SystemOfTheWorld, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Windows Defender found a virus after a full scan. Is it safe now? What file was it?

initiating a virus scan with windows defender on Windows 10

• Open Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Click on Virus & threat protection.
    • Click on Quick Scan or see Advanced Scan.

If you don't see the Windows Defender icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, add it.

Windows Defender Notification Area Icon - Hide or Show in Windows 10

Hide or Show Windows Security Notification Area Icon in Windows 10

Bruce Hagen, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender found a virus after a full scan. Is it safe now? What file was it?

1. Windows Defender found a virus after a full scan. Is it safe now? What file was it? - Similar Threads - Defender found virus

2. Full Scan in Windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Full Scan in Windows defender: I started a full scan in windows defender.It showing around 30 hours remaining. I actually wanted my system to shutdown.Will the scan be paused if i shutdown my pc or lost all the scan till now?...
  3. Full Scan in Windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full Scan in Windows defender: I started a full scan in windows defender.It showing around 30 hours remaining. I actually wanted my system to shutdown.Will the scan be paused if i shutdown my pc or lost all the scan till now?...
  4. Full Scan in Windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What are these two files? Windows defender found them and idk what they are? Is it a virus...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are these two files? Windows defender found them and idk what they are? Is it a virus...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GamedreamYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mnjob2/what_are_these_two_files_windows_defender_found/
  6. Windows Defender -Full Scan automatically restarting after virus found

Windows Defender -Full Scan automatically restarting after virus found: I performed a quick scan which found nothing,so decided to perform a full scan. After 5 minutes, the system appeared to have automatically restarted - is this normal if it finds a virus to remove offline? Unfortunately, my system went into that 'preparing automatic repair /...
  7. Windows defender Full Scan no threats found but says after that threats are found

Windows defender Full Scan no threats found but says after that threats are found: Hi, I recently ran into an issue with windows defender where when I run a full scan the result is: No current threats found and 0 threats found. Then when I restart my computer and look at the message again I get this: [ATTACH] Instead of 0 threats found it says -664...
  8. Defenders Full Scan

Defenders Full Scan: I decided to do a full scan of my computer to see if everything was alright and it's been hours since then. It's still continuing to scan my files and the time remaining went down at first but now it's increasing instead of decreasing. I don't know why and I'm wondering if I...
  9. Full Scan with Defender

Full Scan with Defender: I know how to select full scan, but have no idea how to start the full scan. HELP Please 129441
  10. Defender: no Full Scan

Defender: no Full Scan: Windows Defender tells me no action is needed. But when I use "Run a new advanced scan" nothing happens. No dialog to choose option for Full Scan. Terry, East Grinstead, UK Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.167)...