Windows 10: Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats

Discus and support Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After running a full scan, some threats were reported. "Taking action" has now been in progress for several hours. Is this normal? How long can it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PhillipNewmarch, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats

After running a full scan, some threats were reported. "Taking action" has now been in progress for several hours.

Is this normal?

How long can it take?

what happens if I terminate it by closing the window?

:)

PhillipNewmarch, Mar 18, 2020
  2. Zackary Win User

Windows Defender keeps taking action on nonexistent threats on nonexistent scans

I have a laptop (Dell Inspiron 3541) running Windows 10 v1803. Recently, I have been getting notifications from Windows Defender saying threats were found and removed on scnas that didn't happen.

Some of the notifications are:

and

When I go to Windows Defender, it doesn't show any threats found - nor does it even show a recent scan. For example, I got one of the above notifications today, and this is what Windows Defender showed.

Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats qUClB.png

I tried running a scan, but the ETA was 4 hours, then 20, then 70, and still kept going up.

Is there a way I can find out what the "threats" are? Or make it stop sending these unnecessary notifications?

Zackary, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Defender finds a threat but doesn't take action

I ran a full scan and defender seems to have found a threat but when I say to fix it, it runs forever saying it is "taking action on the threats". When I select "See threat results" it shows no threats. Did it or not find a threat?

RobertBennett1, Mar 18, 2020
  4. harrymc Win User

Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats

Windows Defender keeps taking action on nonexistent threats on nonexistent scans

You may turn off some notification options in
    the Windows Defender Security Center, section
    Virus & threat protection. Click
    Virus & threat protection settings,
    scroll down and click
    Change notification settings, then disable the ones you don't like.

I have solved my problem of dummy popups as described below,
    without changing the notification settings.

Again in the Windows Defender Security Center, section
    Virus & threat protection, click on Threat history.

Do not be misled by the message of "No threats".
    Click on both links of See full history, which may show some items.
    For each items click See details to check which file it is, and if
    not a threat then click Allow.

After this Defender will calm down, although there will still be
    one notification in the Action Center.
    If it bothers you, turn it off as described above,
    but it might still be useful.

harrymc, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats

1. Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats - Similar Threads - Defender Full scan

2. when I take action to remove a threat in Windows Defender the threat still appears in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when I take action to remove a threat in Windows Defender the threat still appears in...: when I take action to remove a threat in Windows Defender the threat still appears in Protection History https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-take-action-to-remove-a-threat-in-windows/6721686f-615e-453d-b66f-b6f3dc1f1f60
  3. when I take action to remove a threat in Windows Defender the threat still appears in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when I take action to remove a threat in Windows Defender the threat still appears in...: when I take action to remove a threat in Windows Defender the threat still appears in Protection History https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-take-action-to-remove-a-threat-in-windows/6721686f-615e-453d-b66f-b6f3dc1f1f60
  4. Window defender not taking action

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window defender not taking action: Window defender isn't removing this nor securing it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-defender-not-taking-action/db225d7d-8949-405a-b78e-10c208c7d6d5
  5. Window defender not taking action

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window defender not taking action: Window defender isn't removing this nor securing it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-defender-not-taking-action/db225d7d-8949-405a-b78e-10c208c7d6d5
  6. Window defender reported a Trojan threat but couldn't take action

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Window defender reported a Trojan threat but couldn't take action: My Window defender detected a threat that is named Trojan:Win32/Tnega!MSR this morning. I tried taking action quarantine and remove but nothing happened, the threat was still there I checked the protection history and it's still the same. However, when I tried quick scan...
  7. take actions windows defender

take actions windows defender: So i had this threat that said it affected my desktop i ran a test on windows defender and found the threat i keep on clicking take actions but it doesn't do anything, however i did a test with malwarebytes and the threat got removed but windows defender is still saying that...
  8. Windows defender Full Scan no threats found but says after that threats are found

Windows defender Full Scan no threats found but says after that threats are found: Hi, I recently ran into an issue with windows defender where when I run a full scan the result is: No current threats found and 0 threats found. Then when I restart my computer and look at the message again I get this: [ATTACH] Instead of 0 threats found it says -664...
  9. Windows Defender Full Scan takes 35 Hours

Windows Defender Full Scan takes 35 Hours: Hello, recently I have undated Windows Version(1903) and runed a full scan on Windows Defender. It writes, that 35 Hours is needed to complete a scan. Is this normal ? (No other antivirus Software is installed on PC). Earlier such a scan needed max 2 hours. Thanks for...
  10. Windows Defender full scan taking a long time!

Windows Defender full scan taking a long time!: We're at 5 1/2 hours and still not finished. 924,000+ items scanned. I had had the trial version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit on for the first 1 1/2 hours of the Defender scan and I turned it off because I thought that might be slowing things. This is on a Dell Inspiron...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why taking actions on threat are so long in windows 10

2. windows defender taking action on threats

3. last scan inwindows s mode

4. how action needed threats are removed,
  5. windows security takes time on actions threats