Windows 10: Windows Defender going crazy at my CPU usage after clean install

Discus and support Windows Defender going crazy at my CPU usage after clean install in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After clean install of windows on my laptop Lenovo Legion Y540 with an i7 9750H when I open random programs my cpu goes to 100% and my fans go up to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JoelLoureiro, May 12, 2020.

1. Windows Defender going crazy at my CPU usage after clean install

After clean install of windows on my laptop Lenovo Legion Y540 with an i7 9750H when I open random programs my cpu goes to 100% and my fans go up to max rpm and I cant do anything for 5 solid minutes on task manager says its Antimalware Service Executable I tried to stop it but it doesnt work, I want to have antivirus on with real time protection and all on like last time but dont want it to scan everytime I do or open something unless I go manually to windows defender and scan it

please help I already did this tutorial: https://www.easeus.com/partition-ma...lware-service-executable-high-disk-usage.html

didnt fix it.

:)

JoelLoureiro, May 12, 2020

2. How to reduce Windows Defender and Google Chrome CPU Usage to the minimum?

Hi.

My PC runs slow.

When I click on Task Manager, I always see a High CPU usage from Windows Defender and Google Chrome.

Any suggestion to reduce Windows Defender and Google Chrome CPU Usage to the minimum?

Thanks

Francesco

francesckosky, May 12, 2020
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 12, 2020
  4. Jeroen HD Win User

Windows Defender going crazy at my CPU usage after clean install

Windows Defender - high CPU and disk usage

Thank you very much for your quick response. I've taken all steps you suggested. This is the outcome:

• Add a process exclusion

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I added both a path and a process exclusion now.The task scheduler for
    • Defender looks like this for me:

Windows Defender going crazy at my CPU usage after clean install 500e27c6-8f11-48d6-9b5f-12b278352fcf.png

• It seems no Defender tasks have run since June 30th, yet the process continues to hog the CPU
    • I re-ran SFC /scannow. SFC could not find any integrity violations
    • I tried disabling behaviour monitoring. The setting did not persist across a reboot, and turning it off did not make a difference while my system was still running.

This was the output for Powershell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-MpPreference -DisableBehaviorMonitoring $True

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-MpPreference | findstr "Behavior"

DisableBehaviorMonitoring : True

PS C:\Windows\system32>

• Scanning for viruses and leftover antivirus software. This was interesting (yet unfruitful):

Neither Kaspersky nor Emisoft could find any threats. MalwareBytes did find 5 executables in my temp folder, although Virustotal.com reported no danger for the files. This could mean it's a false positive, but I removed all traces of them anyway.

It also found two installers (PUPs) for a Spigot toolbar, I removed those as well. They probably came with some free software package, I try to prevent installing toolbars.
    • In installed AVG Anti Virus (the free version). When I rebooted after the installation, Defender was still running and taking up 25-30% of my CPU. I disabled Defender using the Group Policy editor and the service finally stopped.

AVG works for me, but like most free anti virus programs it's full of ads and "free offers" and fishy SSL/TLS interception ("web protection").

I'd like to keep using Windows Defender because it's neatly integrated into Windows 10, doesn't take a lot of resources and doesn't show annoying ads.

I hope anyone can suggest another way to fix this weird Windows Defender problem.

Jeroen HD, May 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender going crazy at my CPU usage after clean install

1. Windows Defender going crazy at my CPU usage after clean install - Similar Threads - Defender going crazy

2. Windows Defender CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender CPU Usage: Is there a way to forcefully reduce Defender's CPU usage? Now it is managing to slow down even one of my best computers, an Asus sporting a Ryzen 7 4800H. On an old laptop with a Haswell i5 also running Win10, I've always kept Defender disabled as it just makes the system run...
  3. Windows Defender CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender CPU Usage: Is there a way to forcefully reduce Defender's CPU usage? Now it is managing to slow down even one of my best computers, an Asus sporting a Ryzen 7 4800H. On an old laptop with a Haswell i5 also running Win10, I've always kept Defender disabled as it just makes the system run...
  4. Windows Defender CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. windows defender cpu usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender cpu usage: So the antimalware service executable task drains a lot of CPU performance. Method 2 on this page seems to address the issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-cpu-usage-because-of-antimalware-service/b20c6fef-0ce1-4ad1-8874-f76c8a89523aMy problem is...
  6. Windows defender going crazy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender going crazy: So windows defender is using 90 percent of CPU power during a full scan which it predicts the last 8 hours. **** is this. I can't even change defender's cpu affinity or priority. Is this normal?...
  7. Desktop & Apps keep Refreshing, CPU usage going crazy

Desktop & Apps keep Refreshing, CPU usage going crazy: Hi, for about 2 weeks I my Windows 10 has been having the following issue: The desktop disappears and reappears frequently as if it were reloading. This causes any Windows File Explorer windows open to freeze up temporarily. It also rapidly refreshes any App I have open and...
  8. 100% CPU usage even after clean install Win10 Home

100% CPU usage even after clean install Win10 Home: My computer got extremely slow and I saw that the CPU is running at 100% in turbo mode. I tried all the fixes that I found on the internet and nothing worked. Today I did a clean install of Windows, and the CPU is still running at 80-100% with only Windows zero aditional...
  9. Crazy CPU usage - help please!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Crazy CPU usage - help please!: Hello all, I just bought a refurbished acer aspire laptop, 8gb ram running Windows 10 64b. It sits idle at below 10% - but if I even move the cursor, nevermind opening an app, it shoots up to 70 - 100%. Obviously this makes it almost unusable. Any suggestions as to why this...
  10. Windows Defender CPU usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender CPU usage: Hello there, We're encounter a strange problem with our Windows Defender and SCEP in our company. Everything run fine till 1-2 weeks ago. We manage our Windows Defender or SCEP through SCCM. There we have policies that limit CPU usage at 30%. Excluded is also the...