Windows 10: Windows Defender Group Settings

Discus and support Windows Defender Group Settings in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I stumbled on this older thread here: How do I remove quarantined threats and gained a little knowledge on how to regulate the quarantined files... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Butch73, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Butch73 Win User

Windows Defender Group Settings

I stumbled on this older thread here:
    How do I remove quarantined threats

and gained a little knowledge on how to regulate the quarantined files allow/delete settings.

I have enclosed a image of my settings and have a question regarding the configure number of days folder.
    If I change the value to 1 or more = enabled. If I revert to 0 = disabled. Does it have to have value greater then
    0 to enable? Also, what is the configure local setting (above removal of items- Brown arrow)
    I have the eicar test file and was testing to see what defender would do and when I click on the file, defender will go into action and depending on if number of days is greater then 0, I get an allow or don't allow choice.
    If it remains at zero (0) then, the file is locked up with no option to remove the test eicar file.

Windows Defender Group Settings Untitled.jpg

:)

Butch73, Mar 6, 2019

2. Windows Defender Group Policy Disabeled

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

As you have stated you want to disable the group policy so that you can run windows defender on the computer.

I would like to suggest few troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Disable group policy from gpedit.msc

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type gpedit.msc and click Ok.(it will open Local Group policy editor)

• Go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender.

• In the right pane of
      Windows Defender
      in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the
      Turn off Windows Defender
      policy to edit it.

• Select (dot) Not Configured or
      Disabled, click/tap on OK,

• When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.
    If the issue still persist you can follow method 2.

Method 2: Disable group policy from registry.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the
    article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

• Press Window Key +R.

• Type regedit and click. (it will open registry)

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

• Right Click on Window Defender to create a new Dword.

• Click on New and Select Dword.

• Type DisableAntiSpyware.

• Right click on DisableAntiSpyware and click on modify.

• Set the value to 0 instead of 1.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, you can write back to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Morris Subba, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Celsiuss Win User
    Windows Defender group policy disabled and WIndows Defender is not listed in group policy

Ok, I got the message that Windows Defender is disabled by group policy, No big deal, I do a quick search and find where the I can enable it. But Windows Defender is not listed in the group policy. And yes, I am 100% sure about this.

This happened when a shady program got into my PC, it messed things up, but I am mostly back on track, except for Windows Defender.

Celsiuss, Mar 6, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    Let your Windows 8 Defender update itself automatically.

P4-630, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Group Settings - Similar Threads - Defender Group Settings

2. Windows Defender blocked by Group Policy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender blocked by Group Policy: HI Wonder if you could help I have windows 8 and I am trying to put back on Window Defender to protect my pc from any viruses. The error message I get is THIS PROGRAM IS BLOCKED BY GROUP POLICY. FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR.I just would like to...
  3. Activating windows defender by group policy

Activating windows defender by group policy: Hello! can you please tell me how to activate windows defender, it is asking me for some type of group policy. please tell me how to activate with group policy because it is very important becausei do not have any other anti-virus software IT WORKED PROPERLY IN THE PAST...
  4. windows defender turn off by group policy:

windows defender turn off by group policy:: how can I on my windows defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turn-off-by-group-policy/2491d75a-40f4-48ad-9af2-60106a7cb07b
  5. Windows Defender Managed by Group Policy

Windows Defender Managed by Group Policy: my windows defender is being closed according to group policy what is it and how can i open it? plz help [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-managed-by-group-policy/089609b9-2735-4d45-925d-e0c80def3e2a
  6. WINDOWS DEFENDER "GROUP POLICY"??

WINDOWS DEFENDER "GROUP POLICY"??: Windows defender wont turn on "to allow this app to run must contact security administrator to enable program via group policy" first i thought it was because i had McAfee installed on my computer but after totally uninstalled still giving same message when attempt to turn...
  7. Setting up groups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up groups: I need to set up groups in my e-mail. I've tried to follow the Help stuff on-line, but what it shows me the icon to click on, I do not have it. I do not see it anywhere....
  8. Windows Defender Group Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Group Settings: I stumbled on this older thread here: How do I remove quarantined threats and gained a little knowledge on how to regulate the quarantined files allow/delete settings. I have enclosed a image of my settings and have a question regarding the configure number of days folder....
  9. Group Policy Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy Settings: I just installed an update, lost my Stickies - destroying my world, & my default app settings are changing on their own. I contacted Microsoft after exhausting all available info online, had a remote session, 2 chats, and it is still broken. Does anyone know the steps to...
  10. Windows Defender Group Policies

Windows Defender Group Policies: I am running Windows 10 (AU) 1607, and under the Windows Defender Group Policy setting I had set the Send File Samples when Further Analysis is Required to be SEND SAFE SAMPLES. What is the difference between Send Safe Samples and Send All Samples? Thanks in advance...