Windows 10: Windows Defender Hangs while Searching

Discus and support Windows Defender Hangs while Searching in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Trying to update windows defender latest virus and spyware. But it hangs up not half way across. what to do... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NancyLundmark, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Windows Defender Hangs while Searching

Trying to update windows defender latest virus and spyware. But it hangs up not half way across. what to do

:)

NancyLundmark, Apr 11, 2019

2. Windows 10 Search hangs

Hi,

To isolate your issue, please provide us the following information:

• Were there any changes made on your computer before this issue came up?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    Furthermore, we suggest that you follow the steps provided by Parth P Patel.

Let us know how it goes.

Melowin Mar, Apr 11, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Windows Defender Hangs while Searching

Windows Defender isn't initializing.

Hi Abdul,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I suggest you to Set Windows Defender to Automatic - You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these
    steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.
    • Search for Windows defender.
    • Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.
    Also, follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender Hangs while Searching

1. Windows Defender Hangs while Searching - Similar Threads - Defender Hangs while

2. windows defender is hanging repeatedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender is hanging repeatedly: windows 11 enterprise, version 22H2sfc, dism, chkdsk are cleandefender event log shows event 1001 long before I shutdown the machine with defender stuck but while it was runningput the computer to sleep is set to neverpower plan is set to balanced restored from power by...
  3. windows defender is hanging repeatedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows defender is hanging repeatedly: windows 11 enterprise, version 22H2sfc, dism, chkdsk are cleandefender event log shows event 1001 long before I shutdown the machine with defender stuck but while it was runningput the computer to sleep is set to neverpower plan is set to balanced restored from power by...
  4. Windows defender is hanging devenv.exe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender is hanging devenv.exe: I've asked my tech ops team and they have been unhelpful for 2 months. Running from a cmd line the antivirus is hanging on devenv.exe or one of it's child processes and it's not always the same project. devenv.exe appears to be in the exclusion list but the child processes...
  5. Applications hangs while printing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applications hangs while printing.: Every time I attempt to print anything from Google Chrome or Firefox or Adobe Reader or any application, it crashes and doesn't respond, any solutions? Please help!...
  6. PC hangs while Windows boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC hangs while Windows boot?: Good noon. My hardware is a ryzen 2600, a Gigabyte aorus Elite b450 board and a R9 390. every time i try to start the PC, the windows logo is gone, the charger is gone and then nothing happens. Either monitor means no signal or an endless long black picture. Rarely it comes...
  7. Cortana Hangs While Listening

in Cortana
    Cortana Hangs While Listening: [ATTACH] Cortana simply hangs when in this screen (when it is supposed to listen to me). This screen can be opened by clicking the Cortana icon on the taskbar or by saying 'Hey Cortana'. Cortana is not able to listen to anything I say. This screen simply closes after being...
  8. Windows Defender (Definitions) Update Hangs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender (Definitions) Update Hangs: I'm trying to update Windows Defender virus definitions. The update proceeds quickly up to about 40% complete, but still in the "Searching . . . " phase (according to the green progress bar), and then just hangs. Forever. I waited several hours and still no movement, and no...
  9. Windows 10 hanging for a while in boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 hanging for a while in boot: Hello everyone, I would like to share this situation over my HP dv6-61xx Laptop which hangs for some time (I can't say how the average time it takes) during boot. Every time it stuck on black screen during boot (before get into login screen), with no CPU neither HDD...
  10. Windows Explorer hangs on every search

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer hangs on every search: Hello, i ve recently installed windows 10 Home on my laptop. (clean install), but i ve noticed that the explorer hangs on every search i try to perform. It shows about 5-10 files as result and then hangs. The same happens even in safe mode. Yesterday i did a new windows...