Windows 10: Windows Defender has Gone Power Mad

Discus and support Windows Defender has Gone Power Mad in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; It is getting to the point where I have had to exclude one of my main download directories, which kind of defeats the purpose of having anti-virus... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Miss Chief, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Windows Defender has Gone Power Mad

It is getting to the point where I have had to exclude one of my main download directories, which kind of defeats the purpose of having anti-virus (don't worry I only did this temporarily until I found a better solution, granted not a lot better but a bit better as I will detail below).

Defender is not only quarantining epub files about programming and network security (books, it thinks books about computer security are a threat, well it isn't wrong, cause it is under serious threat of being replaced if it keeps on like this), it won't let me un-quarantine/allow them, they aren't even in the vault which is located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\LocalCopy if anyone else having this issue, stumbles across this post, not that it will help cause apparently books are so very dangerous they can't just be quarantined, all trace of them must be destroyed (burned if you will). Now perhaps I could understand why it was confused/concerned about the books, I mean they did have scary words in the title like 'Metasploit' or 'Pen-Test'.

However, it is also now claiming that Zortam software (zmms24.exe) is Trojan:Win32/Spursint.F!cl which I assure you it isn't, I have been using this software for years, having now finally disabled automatic remediation and then been able to download and keep the file, I have run and installed it and it is not a Trojan, Malware, Virus or anything nefarious, it is MP3 tagging software and yes the ebooks are just ebooks about programming, network security, pen-testing, etc.

Should anyone else want to know how to disable the jealous and controlling (I would say borderline abusive) automatic remediation you need to run Command/PowerShell as Admin and input the following:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableRoutinelyTakingAction /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Should you find life a little dull and want to experience some excitement and frustration at some future point you can turn on Automatic Remediation again with the following:

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableRoutinelyTakingAction /f

You may also want to change the retention time on quarantined items, since it seems to be quarantining innocent files, to extend the retention indefinitely input the following command:

Set-MpPreference -QuarantinePurgeItemsAfterDelay 0

I found this little summary on the 'threat' page, which incidentally, had absolutely no info about the threat, other than it's name, which I already had from Event Viewer (if you want to retrieve your own logs for Windows Defender they are in: Event Viewer > Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender > Operational) but it did at least offer me some light amusement...

Summary

Windows Defender Antivirus uses the cloud and artificial intelligence powered by next-gen machine learning technologies to rapidly deliver protection against new and emerging malware.

This detection, made possible by cloud-based machine learning, defends against multiple types of emerging malware that perform various malicious actions on your PC.

Well I think it either needs a little more oversight, perhaps a teacher could assign some homework to nudge it back on course, or perhaps Elon Musk isn't paranoid from his recent experimentation with weed and he's actually right and AI is out to destroy us all... I mean destroying the masses access to knowledge must be pretty high up the list for overlord dictators.

==========================================

For those who are bound to ask I'm using: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, fresh install on a formatted HDD which has no other anti-virus application now or ever and has no virus/malware etc (unless you count One Drive... that thing is harder to get rid of than McAffe and I never thought I would say that, well technically you can get rid of it but it just keeps coming back (like the clap) when there's an update or you use Office or you weren't looking for 5 minutes, alas though that is a rant for another day and another thread Windows Defender has Gone Power Mad ;)

I didn't really post this looking for answers... I am seriously hoping I have resolved it now, was more to share my woes and perhaps help others having similar issues, however, if some kind soul has a better solution to this issue please do share Windows Defender has Gone Power Mad :)

:)

Miss Chief, Jan 11, 2019

2. Phone gone mad

I've bought a Lumia 1020 today. When I turned it on at the first time it froze twice before I could go through the initial steps. It has gone mad, the screen is unresponsive, it starts apps like mad, jumps around, I can't turn it off because it starts again
    immediately. The backside is very hot. Unusuable. Ideas?

Zolikabácsi, Jan 11, 2019
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Windows Defender has Gone Power Mad

What the hell, windows defender?

https://www.av-test.org/en/antiviru...-2017/microsoft-windows-defender-4.12-174847/

28 False Positives in last 2 tests

John Naylor, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender has Gone Power Mad

1. Windows Defender has Gone Power Mad - Similar Threads - Defender has Gone

2. Has Macrium Reflect and EaseUS reporting gone mad?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Has Macrium Reflect and EaseUS reporting gone mad?: Hey everyone - I imaged a system today and noticed that the partition descriptions in Macrium 7.3.5555 were not being properly identified: [img] Under EaseUS Partition Master 15.5, the partition descriptions are correctly identified: [img] Also also note the...
  3. Microsoft Sculpt keyboard stopped working - gone "mad"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Sculpt keyboard stopped working - gone "mad": My Sculpt keyboard suddenly stopped working today. Mouse and number pad that are part of same bundle still work fine. First I noticed is that the keyboard went 'mad' after a few hours of working fine as usual in the morning. It kept scrolling quickly from button to button on...
  4. Windows defender AV is gone..

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender AV is gone..: Suddenly defender AV is gone - it doesn't appear in the security at glance menu. As if it is not installed. How can I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-av-is-gone/125fbdb3-a6c2-48d2-a9c2-c6ce012c35e3
  5. Windows Defender & Firewall gone.

Windows Defender & Firewall gone.: I have been running weekly thorough AV scans for as long as I have had my PC. Never did I see any viruses or malware. Yesterday however I got this when opening Windows Security Settings [ATTACH] I then ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner v1.0, build 1.319.2117.0 and this is...
  6. cpu-z gone mad!!!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cpu-z gone mad!!!!!!!!!: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/44f04a95b7341.png?width=416&format=png&auto=webp&s=649f120e2efc56f3cc1adba6f303d77de46fe56b what is going on here, anybody please explain it. submitted by /u/tech_power_user [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows Defender is gone

Windows Defender is gone: As of 8/8/19, my computer is without Windows Defender. I don't know how exactly I was attacked by malware but I was. I ran Malwarebytes to remove the Trojans and Malware but now my system has no Windows Defender at all. I don't know how to install it. It is missing from...
  8. Power Throttling gone mad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Throttling gone mad: So I have been using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility recently and it just started power throttling while I am idle. Anyone know why? I usually get a CPU clock speed of 3.8 - 4 GHz but now all I get is 2.20 which is the lowest my i7 processor can go. I have tried restarting...
  9. BitLocker gone mad :-(

BitLocker gone mad :-(: Hi hi I got Windows 10 Home upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (brought from Microsoft Store) I BitLocked the C-drive + internal D-drive just fine. My PC is without a TPM-chip. I followed the fine instructions from www.windowscentral.com - how use bitlocker encryption. Then I...
  10. Power Plan gone

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Plan gone: A few months ago I purchased a Teclast X98 Air 3G tablet. The tablet worked fine and the huge battery power was a breeze to work with. Always loaded to the full 100%, I could use the tablet for nearly 8 hours. Until 2 weeks ago, when Windows 10 installed an update. Now,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mad for windows defender