Windows 10: Windows Defender high CPU consumption

Discus and support Windows Defender high CPU consumption in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, throughout the past couple months when I am playing a game, I noticed my screen would temporarily freeze/stutter for a second or two. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GraysonWesolowski, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Windows Defender high CPU consumption

Hello, throughout the past couple months when I am playing a game, I noticed my screen would temporarily freeze/stutter for a second or two. After running some diagnostics, I found that a program MsMpEng.exe was momentarily consuming 100% of my CPU. After working to end/disable the task I found that I need permission from SYSTEM to end Window's Defender. I was wondering if there was any way I could get a walkthrough on how to do this? I have my own anti-malware system in place and do not necessarily need Defender.

:)

GraysonWesolowski, Nov 5, 2020
  2. mroek Win User

High CPU usage from Windows Defender

@ignatzatsonic: I am also seeing that file being accessed by the process (not sure it is scanning it, though), but it does not correlate with the elevated CPU usage. This file is more or less accessed by the process all the time, also when it is not consuming CPU.

I haven't seen any serious disk I/O while CPU is consumed, I'd have expected to at least see some high(ish) disk transfer rates if that was the cause, but CPU is consumed while disk transfer by the process is merely a few kB/s, if even that.

It doesn't use a lot of memory either, just 2-300 MB.

Here are screenshots from Process Explorer and Resource Monitor for the process while the CPU consumption is elevated:

Windows Defender high CPU consumption [​IMG]

Windows Defender high CPU consumption [​IMG]

mroek, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Jeroen HD Win User
    Windows Defender - high CPU and disk usage

Thank you very much for your quick response. I've taken all steps you suggested. This is the outcome:

• Add a process exclusion

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I added both a path and a process exclusion now.The task scheduler for
    • Defender looks like this for me:

Windows Defender high CPU consumption 500e27c6-8f11-48d6-9b5f-12b278352fcf.png

• It seems no Defender tasks have run since June 30th, yet the process continues to hog the CPU
    • I re-ran SFC /scannow. SFC could not find any integrity violations
    • I tried disabling behaviour monitoring. The setting did not persist across a reboot, and turning it off did not make a difference while my system was still running.

This was the output for Powershell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-MpPreference -DisableBehaviorMonitoring $True

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-MpPreference | findstr "Behavior"

DisableBehaviorMonitoring : True

PS C:\Windows\system32>

• Scanning for viruses and leftover antivirus software. This was interesting (yet unfruitful):

Neither Kaspersky nor Emisoft could find any threats. MalwareBytes did find 5 executables in my temp folder, although Virustotal.com reported no danger for the files. This could mean it's a false positive, but I removed all traces of them anyway.

It also found two installers (PUPs) for a Spigot toolbar, I removed those as well. They probably came with some free software package, I try to prevent installing toolbars.
    • In installed AVG Anti Virus (the free version). When I rebooted after the installation, Defender was still running and taking up 25-30% of my CPU. I disabled Defender using the Group Policy editor and the service finally stopped.

AVG works for me, but like most free anti virus programs it's full of ads and "free offers" and fishy SSL/TLS interception ("web protection").

I'd like to keep using Windows Defender because it's neatly integrated into Windows 10, doesn't take a lot of resources and doesn't show annoying ads.

I hope anyone can suggest another way to fix this weird Windows Defender problem.

Jeroen HD, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Rick.T Win User

Windows Defender high CPU consumption

Windows 10 Display Blinking with High CPU

After upgrade to Windows 10, experiencing flashing display and high CPU.

• At initial logon screen everything is normal - wall paper and logon screen display with no blinking
    • After logon, fan starts as CPU usage spikes, cursor is accompanied by the spinning blue circle
    • touchscreen does not respond to swipe to access Recovery/Safe mode for reboot
    • able to get to Task Manager and Perfmon to see high CPU usage and explorer.exe is suspended
    looking for suggestions on how to either fix or roll back to Windows 8.1

Rick.T, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender high CPU consumption

1. Windows Defender high CPU consumption - Similar Threads - Defender high CPU

2. High consumption of RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High consumption of RAM: When I open several programs. Memory consumption by DMW is very high. What is the problem??screenshot: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-consumption-of-ram/89c233e4-3971-473b-9a55-0742dd522afb
  3. CPU consumption

CPU consumption: How much CPU resource is ntoskrnl.exe supposed to take ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-consumption/24dcd914-8ae6-4bd8-b253-b4413af33e1f
  4. Service Host: Agent Activation Runtime_15831 high cpu and memory consumption

Service Host: Agent Activation Runtime_15831 high cpu and memory consumption: Hi! Anybody knows why Service Host: Agent Activation Runtime and Service Host: Local Service Network Restricted consumes about 25-30% cpu and up to 2.5Gb or memory all the time already for several days? I read that it's kind of related to the Cortana but I don't use it much....
  5. taskhostw.exe has a high cpu consumption of 99.8%

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskhostw.exe has a high cpu consumption of 99.8%: taskhostw.exe is using 99.8% of my processor and I need it fixed ASAP, I have tried multiple methods to fix but too no avail. I have tried - sfc /scannow - DISMs I have no idea what to do....
  6. Process taskhostw.exe has a high CPU consumption of 99.0%.

Process taskhostw.exe has a high CPU consumption of 99.0%.: When i run perfmon /report it returns the error "Process taskhostw.exe has a high CPU consumption of 99.0%. Would anybody be able to help me fix this error? Can't seem to fix it, have tried a repair install, then a format and clean install but the error still remains. I...
  7. High memory consumption

High memory consumption: Hello! My computer is consuming a lot of memory, I have an i7 processor with 16gb ram and 256 ssd. Is it normal for chrome to consume that much?[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-memory-consumption/d9f28f33-cc1a-4d12-a5a2-95ff7b287598
  8. Windows Defender High CPU Utilization

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender High CPU Utilization: I have an HP Notebook 15-f387wm, and it currently has an integrated quad-core processor by AMD. It recently has developed a bug with Windows Defender. I noticed that it was using almost 50% of the CPU, causing the laptop to go over 60°C, even when the laptop is idling. I...
  9. High CPU usage from Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU usage from Windows Defender: I have W10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.19 (although these issues started when I was still on whatever the previous build was numbered) with a i7-6700k, 16gb RAM and a Samsung 750 EVO 500gb. As of the past week or so I've noticed that Windows Defender's CPU usage,...
  10. Service Host: Local System very high cpu and memory consumption

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host: Local System very high cpu and memory consumption: I have recently formatted my laptop and within 2 days high memory and cpu consumption is showing in task manager. 46978