Windows 10: Windows Defender High CPU Utilization

Discus and support Windows Defender High CPU Utilization in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have an HP Notebook 15-f387wm, and it currently has an integrated quad-core processor by AMD. It recently has developed a bug with Windows Defender.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Hyp3rDeath101, May 1, 2019.

1. Windows Defender High CPU Utilization

I have an HP Notebook 15-f387wm, and it currently has an integrated quad-core processor by AMD. It recently has developed a bug with Windows Defender. I noticed that it was using almost 50% of the CPU, causing the laptop to go over 60°C, even when the laptop is idling. I checked if Windows Defender was running any scans, and it wasn't doing any scans at all. I've tried a factory reset, and I have tried restarting the laptop. I need to fix this issue permanently so that I can actually play games, which was what my laptop was made for.

:)

Hyp3rDeath101, May 1, 2019
  2. Paul.Woz Win User

TokenBroker services causes high CPU utilization?

We have Windows 10 Pro version 1703, 64bit.

We see CPU stay at 50-60%, and spike up to 99-100% for extended times. We have been able to isolate the high CPU to the Token Broker service by using the Windows Performance Recorder and Analyzer.

We understand this service has something to do with the Windows Store and Authentication and was added in with the Anniversary update. With it turned off, we return to normal CPU utilization, but we are unsure if this service is a requirement.

Microsoft is a bit ambiguous on this service, even the description for the service reads "<Failed to Read Description, Error Code:1500 >"

• Because there isn't a lot of documentation on this we are unsure if we even need this service. Can we simply disable this service permanently?
    • Is anyone aware of the Token Broker service causing high CPU like this?

Paul.Woz, May 1, 2019
  3. trigot Win User
    CPU won't go above 23% utilization

I have a custom built PC. specs are below. After some recent problems and a full windows reinstall it seems that my CPU won't go above 23% utilization. I have set the power plan to high performance and am using Prime95 to attempt to stress the CPU. When
    I look in the BIOS everything looks correct. The CPU temp is reasonable, it detects the CPU as 3.4ghz. Windows also detects that the model of the CPU is correct and lists it as 3.4ghz in system properties. When viewing the CPU on the performance tab of
    task manager is lists the speed as 0.78 GHz and that number never changes. It's like it's stuck on that number. Any help on how to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated!

CPU: Core I7-6700 @ 3.4ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H

Bios Version: F22e (latest)

Graphics: Onboard Intel 530

RAM: 16gb DDR4 2133

PSU: 550w

Power plan: High performance

Edit:

Additional Troubleshooting steps:

Reset BIOS to default values - Issue still occurs.

trigot, May 1, 2019
  4. Rick.T Win User

Windows Defender High CPU Utilization

Windows 10 Display Blinking with High CPU

After upgrade to Windows 10, experiencing flashing display and high CPU.

• At initial logon screen everything is normal - wall paper and logon screen display with no blinking
    • After logon, fan starts as CPU usage spikes, cursor is accompanied by the spinning blue circle
    • touchscreen does not respond to swipe to access Recovery/Safe mode for reboot
    • able to get to Task Manager and Perfmon to see high CPU usage and explorer.exe is suspended
    looking for suggestions on how to either fix or roll back to Windows 8.1

Rick.T, May 1, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender High CPU Utilization

1. Windows Defender High CPU Utilization - Similar Threads - Defender High CPU

2. Find String QGREP Utility high cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find String QGREP Utility high cpu: Hi I dont understand why but when I turn on the computer, it automatically runs Find String QGREP Utility. I have tried all the ways I found but they dont work....
  3. Find String QGREP Utility high cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find String QGREP Utility high cpu: Hi I dont understand why but when I turn on the computer, it automatically runs Find String QGREP Utility. I have tried all the ways I found but they dont work....
  4. Find String QGREP Utility high cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. fontdrvhost.exe CPU high utilization on Windows Server 2016 std

fontdrvhost.exe CPU high utilization on Windows Server 2016 std: In Windows Server 2016 Std, fontdrvhost.exe is using 40-50% of CPU, Kindly suggest the solutionI have update the Security update for windows on 19 Sep 2021 with the following KBKB5003197 KB5001402 KB5001078 KB4550994 KB4562561 KB4565912 KB4576750 KB4589210...
  6. fontdrvhost.exe CPU high utilization on Windows Server 2016 std

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fontdrvhost.exe CPU high utilization on Windows Server 2016 std: In Windows Server 2016 Std, fontdrvhost.exe is using 40-50% of CPU, Kindly suggest the solutionI have update the Security update for windows on 19 Sep 2021 with the following KBKB5003197 KB5001402 KB5001078 KB4550994 KB4562561 KB4565912 KB4576750 KB4589210...
  7. fontdrvhost.exe CPU high utilization on Windows Server 2016 std

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Constant VERY high CPU and RAM utilization of Windows Explorer

Constant VERY high CPU and RAM utilization of Windows Explorer: I have tried the following Rescheduling work for Windows Defender see https://geeksadvice.com/how-to-fix-antimalware-service-executable-high-cpu-usage-on-windows/ Restarting Windows Explorer process Closing OneDrive application Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Installed on...
  9. Windows Defender Smartscreen CPU Utilization & BSOD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Defender Smartscreen CPU Utilization & BSOD: A few months ago I began to notice that Windows Defender Smartscreen process would always run whenever I restart, launch a browser, or launch an app that connects to the internet (despite Smartscreen being disabled via Windows Security settings). The process runs for about...
  10. Windows Defender high CPU consumption

Windows Defender high CPU consumption: Hello, throughout the past couple months when I am playing a game, I noticed my screen would temporarily freeze/stutter for a second or two. After running some diagnostics, I found that a program MsMpEng.exe was momentarily consuming 100% of my CPU. After working to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender high cpu after feature update

2. windows defender high CPU

3. windows defender cpu settings