Windows 10: Windows Defender hogs memory, what is best solution?

Discus and support Windows Defender hogs memory, what is best solution? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have always used Windows Defender until I found my PC running too slow. I looked at the operations and Defender was near the top of the list. I read... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Georgz, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Georgz Win User

Windows Defender hogs memory, what is best solution?

I have always used Windows Defender until I found my PC running too slow. I looked at the operations and Defender was near the top of the list. I read about it hogging memory and shut it off. My PC ran like a dream.

I stay clear from Bitdefender, Avast and others because of malware and advertising hi-jinx.

I found the following post on the issue (It appears dangerous to try without better directions)

Thanks,

:)

Georgz, Apr 24, 2016

2. Windows 10 version 1709 high memory usage

The memory hog for me was firefox and it was corrected with the last firefox update. svchost.exe was not that high, but I do not use windows defender I use Avast Internet Security.

Froggie1rw, Apr 24, 2016
  3. BRCjr Win User
    Windows 10 stops configuring at 87% and then says failed.

I had similar problems and believe that removing McAfee completely and going with Defender allowed me to finally load th2_release 10565 Core. Defender is much improved. It is not the Defender I last used 5 years ago. It also freed up some Memory usage that
    my third party Security had hogged. I cannot be sure that is what allowed me to finally install. But it is my guess.

BRCjr, Apr 24, 2016
  4. snoopy51 Win User

You may have scheduled Windows Defender to do so. If so, I would suggest you to unschedule Windows Defender to do so and check, if it works.

Let’s try to follow these first:

a. Type Administrative tools on the search baron the Windows 10 Desktop.
    b. Select Administrative Tools and select Task Scheduler.
    c. Follow this path in the left hand pane. Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/Windows defender
    d. Under the tab Conditons uncheck all the boxes under Idle, Power and Network. Do this for each scheduled Task.
    e. Now, it won’t scan your computer.

Hope this information helps you

snoopy51, Apr 24, 2016
  5. I use Webroot. You won't be disappointed. Then run free Malwarebytes periodically

Teetertotter, May 9, 2016
  6. PC7159 Win User
    This didn't completely alleviate the problem but cut Windows Antimalware/Windows Defender memory usage down to half of what it was before. Task manager wouldn't let me end the process, even in administrative mode. I think this is because it's built in to system recovery or something and therefore can't be ended.

At any rate

Windows Defender ----> Settings ------> Turn all protection settings to "off"

Also I don't know if this helps but take disable Windows Defender in Startup.

PC7159, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender hogs memory, what is best solution? - Similar Threads - Defender hogs memory

2. What's the best free LAN chat solution for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best free LAN chat solution for Windows 10?: Scenario: Everyone at home is either working or schooling from home, but located in different areas/rooms in the house. All are using Windows 10 and are connected to the same wifi network. For quick exchanges or exchanges that can be best communicated over chat, what's the...
  3. What's the best solution for a reliable RAID 1 setup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's the best solution for a reliable RAID 1 setup: I wonder if you could kindly assist with a recommendation of the most reliable Raid 1 mirroring setup, with current implementation by BIOS, an option of Windows 10 Pro, or using Storage Spaces in Windows. The background is that my primary aim is to ensure a backup of my...
  4. OneDrive Memory Hog on My Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Memory Hog on My Hard Drive: I set up my OneDrive folders for Cloud-only Desktop-on-demand-only. My folders show the little cloud icon. Yet my hard drive had 50 gb of OneDrive data and it is now full. I have a Surface Pro 6 with 128 gb that are really only 119. How do I get the OneDrive usage down?...
  5. vmmem hogging memory !!!

vmmem hogging memory !!!: This process in hogging 5gb of ram in suspended state.. how do i get rid of it ? my virtual machines are off.. hyper v machines are off.. still it wont go away.. HELP !!! No wonder people prefer linux now !!! RAM HOGGER submitted by /u/gauravsood1991 [link] [comments]...
  6. I've done everything possible to stop Windows Defender from hogging Memory and nothing is...

I've done everything possible to stop Windows Defender from hogging Memory and nothing is...: I've added MsMpEng.exe to exclusions in Windows Security Settings, and I've unchecked 'run with highest privlieges' yet Antimalware Service Executable continues to take up over 100 mb of memory. Is there anything else I can do? submitted by /u/osowavy [link] [comments]...
  7. Defender is hogging almost 200 MB of memory

Defender is hogging almost 200 MB of memory: And my laptop is running kind of slow and I don't wanna disable it how do I solve this submitted by /u/XIIES [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dtux0s/defender_is_hogging_almost_200_mb_of_memory/
  8. what is the best backup solution?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    what is the best backup solution?: I currently have about 10 hard drives of different sizes but they are mostly 4TB, they are used to store some videos. But no backup for any drives now, they are working fine though. However, the drives are getting old, ranged from 2 to 4 years. I am now doing some sorting...
  9. best invoicing solution?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    best invoicing solution?: I am doing very small business and I don't actually need a very systematic invoice. However, I have a plan to start to be a little bit more systematic in the coming new year Is there any free or low priced excel template, windows software or apps where it can let me have a...
  10. Is the Windows Defender the best solution to protect our all data ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is the Windows Defender the best solution to protect our all data ?: Good day, guys ! In the past I was looking for a lot of security solutions. I saw a lot of good and bad reviews and comments on the Internet but I don't know what to believe. Can you clear me ? Is it the Windows Defender the best security solution for my Windows ? Has it a...