Windows 10: Windows defender; how to create a quarantine action exception

Discus and support Windows defender; how to create a quarantine action exception in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; hi folks, Windows defender keeps quarantining a file and I keep restoring it. This repeats every day or so. To stop this wasteful cycle, is there a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarkPortlock, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Windows defender; how to create a quarantine action exception

hi folks,

Windows defender keeps quarantining a file and I keep restoring it. This repeats every day or so. To stop this wasteful cycle, is there a way to create an exception?

cheers

Mark

:)

MarkPortlock, Oct 8, 2019

2. Can I configure windows defender to never quarantine files

I have a follow up question…

Without the registry setting we discussed…. So using the normal default behavior. DisableRoutinelyTakingAction = 0 or just delete the key

If I create a test EICAR that gets quarantined and then I restore it using the command line:

Code:
    It gets restored as expected, but I have no exclusions set so when I reboot and rescan that folder I get a message stating ‘items skipped during scan’.

Windows defender; how to create a quarantine action exception [​IMG]

Does the MpCmdRun restore action create some type of exclusion list (white list) of its own that is not part of users exclusions in the defender GUI of which I have none? And if it does is this a temporary cache of exclusions or permanent?

I've rebooted multiple times and tried to re scan the path and/or the file and each time it gets skipped from the quarantine action.

fester13579, Oct 8, 2019
  3. Can I configure windows defender to never quarantine files

Hello,

I am using w10 1903 x64 - I was wondering if there is a way without setting up exclusions to configure Windows defender to never quarantine any file and only block access and just prompt the user how to proceed?

I am all for active scanning but not automatic quarantine actions.

Also just wanted to share this nugget of info – if you want to see the list of files that have been quarantined via cli run:

Code:

Thanks.

fester13579, Oct 8, 2019
  4. Rob Koch Win User

Windows defender; how to create a quarantine action exception

Malwarebytes Quarantine and Windows Defender

According to everything I've ever read, the only difference with the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is that the Real-time protection portions stop operating after the initial trial period, nothing else changes.

It appear that others have had the same confusion about the MBAM Quarantine interface that you are having, as this forum post from 2016 displays.

Virus quarantined only Option quarantined - Malwarebytes 3 - Malwarebytes Forums

If you scroll down to the Quarantine item heading on the left-hand pane of the following documentation page, you'll see the description that follows. Bolding is mine.

Malwarebytes for Windows Help Documentation

"Quarantined items are shown in a table format, with pertinent information presented to help you determine what action needs to be taken.
    Each item listed has a checkbox in the leftmost column. Check the checkbox to restore or delete the item. Please note that the Restore and Delete buttons are greyed out until items are selected. If you wish to apply the same action to all quarantined
    items, select the checkbox in the table header and click
    Restore or Delete. Please be aware that quarantined items which are not deleted or restored will continue to be visible here until action is taken."

As for your assertion that two Windows Security (Defender?) items were displayed as blocked, with no other option to delete, I suspect you are just as confused about the operation of these items. If these are what you wish to resolve here, then describe
    these notifications from Defender more completely, including any text displayed and exactly what they state so that maybe someone can help you better understand what Defender is trying to tell you.

Rob

Rob Koch, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows defender; how to create a quarantine action exception

1. Windows defender; how to create a quarantine action exception - Similar Threads - defender create quarantine

2. Windows defender not quarantining or removing trojan,

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender not quarantining or removing trojan,: Windows defender not quarantining or removing trojan it keeps saying to start action but after trying to quarantine or remove it still remains, I have scanned with Malwarebytes and trend house call neither of which found any trace of the trojan........
  3. Windows defender not quarantining or removing trojan,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender not quarantining or removing trojan,: Windows defender not quarantining or removing trojan it keeps saying to start action but after trying to quarantine or remove it still remains, I have scanned with Malwarebytes and trend house call neither of which found any trace of the trojan........
  4. Windows Defender: How to remove a file from quarantine?

Windows Defender: How to remove a file from quarantine?: I'm an audio producer and Microsoft Defender suddenly thinks that a file in my audio samples library is Trojan:Script/Oneeva.A!ml. Defender automatically quarantines the threat, but unfortunately this cripples the audio software that relies upon these sample files. I think...
  5. How recover file form Defender quarantine

How recover file form Defender quarantine: I use windows 20H2 and plugged in a usk drive with portable apps and windows defender deleted one of the files (a key reader & backup) to quarantine. I've used this stick many times and the file is clean, although I can understands as a key reader why Windows would block it...
  6. Quarantine Threats in Windows Defender

Quarantine Threats in Windows Defender: I am new to windows 10. I have windows defender. It shows threats were quarantined. I need to know where to go from there. When I click on threat quarantined it asks do you allow changes to this device. [Original Title: windows defender]...
  7. [Urgent] How to restore a quarantined file in Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Urgent] How to restore a quarantined file in Windows Defender?: [repost] Windows Defender on my laptop quarantined steam_api.dll as a false alarm. I thought it's actually a tojan so I clicked on the 'Remove' button. However, I just found out that the file was perfect and I wanna restore it now. It is visible in 'Full History' tab but...
  8. No Quarantine in Windows Defender?

No Quarantine in Windows Defender?: I installed Windows 10 1903 and noticed in the Windows Defender settings that the Quarantine section has been removed. Where would I find the Quarantine within Windows Defender in 1903? 137937
  9. Malwarebytes Quarantine and Windows Defender

Malwarebytes Quarantine and Windows Defender: I accidently clicked on an dubious site looking for info I was told smartscreen wasn't working but the items had been stopped from entering folders . This was great , I ran the free version of Malwarebytes and it found 4 Items , they turned out to be PUPs and were put in...
  10. How to know what files are quarantined by Windows Defender

How to know what files are quarantined by Windows Defender: Like the first photo, sometimes Windows Defender shows which file it detected and quarantined. In this case, it's fine. [img] But, sometimes, it doesn't show what files it detected and quarantined, and shows only perhaps "quarantined" files, and I don't know what...