Windows 10: Windows Defender Identifies The SAME PUP As A Threat Repeatedly

Discus and support Windows Defender Identifies The SAME PUP As A Threat Repeatedly in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since the implementation of W10 V2004, Windows Defender has now been defaulted to identify PUPS as a threat. As a result, many are now made aware of... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GlenProuty, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Windows Defender Identifies The SAME PUP As A Threat Repeatedly

Since the implementation of W10 V2004, Windows Defender has now been defaulted to identify

PUPS as a threat. As a result, many are now made aware of their presence. And they are "remediated",

on the spot, to prevent them from causing any mischief.

The problem occurs on the subsequent scans with Windows Defender. It identifies the same PUP again, and again.

It has been determined that this is caused by the presence of the PUP in Protection History.

It appears that the default remediation that Windows Defender applies to PUPs is toBlock them, then leave

them in Protection History .

Windows Defender is defaulted to scan its own "Scans/History". Resulting in the discovery of the PUP over and

over again. Even though, other scanners see no evidence of the PUP on the PC.

Until Microsoft sees fit to Quarantine the PUPs, you can prevent the repeated error indication, by "excluding"

Scan/History from the Windows Defender scan. I see no need for that, anyway!

You can accomplish this in the following manner. Navigate through Settings, to Virus & Threat ProtectionSettings.

Click "Manage settings".

Scroll down to "Exclusions". Select "Add or remove exclusions"

Select "Add an exclusion". Chose "Folder". Then navigate through Explorer as follows.

C:>Program Data>Microsoft>Windows Defender>Scans>History.

Click on History then click "Select Folder".

Windows Defender will no longer scan its own Scan/History. This should stop the repeat notifications.

Glen

:)

GlenProuty, Jun 16, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

3. Windows defender Identifying a threat

If your reading this I thank you for your time.

My question is how would you make Windows defender see a certain threat because i have a program on my computer that I would like to get rid of but it doesn't let me and I was thinking what if I made Windows defender see it as a threat and then it deletes
    it.

Regards,

Michael

Chrometroop, Jun 16, 2020
  4. simrick Win User

Windows Defender Identifies The SAME PUP As A Threat Repeatedly

PUP Threats Detected By Malwarebytes

Check your list of installed programs and remove any toolbars. Run MBAM again, including rootkit detection, and do a full scan of all your hard drives, not just a Threat scan. Then, reset your Chrome browser.

Windows Defender Identifies The SAME PUP As A Threat Repeatedly [​IMG]

Windows Defender Identifies The SAME PUP As A Threat Repeatedly [​IMG]

simrick, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender Identifies The SAME PUP As A Threat Repeatedly

1. Windows Defender Identifies The SAME PUP As A Threat Repeatedly - Similar Threads - Defender Identifies SAME

2. Windows Defender repeated threat warnings despite repeated scans

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender repeated threat warnings despite repeated scans: My laptop running Windows 10 has been giving me repeated threat warnings for the last few days. This started after I bought a new computer and signed it in to the home wifi network, but I have not directly connected the two computers.I get a notification from Windows Security...
  3. Windows Defender repeated threat warnings despite repeated scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender repeated threat warnings despite repeated scans: My laptop running Windows 10 has been giving me repeated threat warnings for the last few days. This started after I bought a new computer and signed it in to the home wifi network, but I have not directly connected the two computers.I get a notification from Windows Security...
  4. Windows Defender repeated threat warnings despite repeated scans

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. thunderbird identified as a threat

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    thunderbird identified as a threat: How do I get microsoft to recognize that Thunderbird mail client is ok?Since July 15, 2022, I get warnings of severe threats that are associated with running my Thunderbird mail client. This happens 3 or 4 times a week. Typically, I start my computer in the morning no virus...
  6. Windows Defender keeps identifying and removing this threat over and over:...

Windows Defender keeps identifying and removing this threat over and over:...: Every few minutes this gets flagged, Windows Defender quarantines it and then it comes back again. It says: AFFECTED ITEMS: file: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Apple Inc\CloudKit\iCloudDrive\MMCS\tmpm-0x0000000000000001 and file:...
  7. Windows defender repeatedly shows the same threat over and over after taking action

Windows defender repeatedly shows the same threat over and over after taking action: Hello microsoft team, Recently windows defender detected Trojan:Win32/Access!rfn on my PC. After I clicked on Start Action, it is notifying the same threat everytime. I even deleted the infected file after going in the location in the threat details. But still, it shows the...
  8. Threats identified by Windows Defender not removed

Threats identified by Windows Defender not removed: Hi, my OS is Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 Build 19041.450. After performing a full scan of my SSD, Windows Defender identified a number of threats such as APP:CDisplayEx_BundleInstaller, PUA:Win32/Vtools, PUA:Win32/InstallCore, PUA:Win32/SystemChecker,...
  9. Windows Defender Setting to Block PUPs?

Windows Defender Setting to Block PUPs?: According to this: https://www.howtogeek.com/360648/how-to-enable-windows-defender%e2%80%99s-secret-crapware-blocker/ I should be able to set Windows Defender to block Potentially Unwanted Programs via this Power Shell command: Set-MpPreference -PUAProtection 1 But the...
  10. PUP Threats Detected By Malwarebytes

PUP Threats Detected By Malwarebytes: Is anyone getting the pup.price.ninja threats? I get the same 4 pup threats every time Malwarebytes scans. I also noticed that I get advertisement popups while running Chrome that I don't get running Firefox. I have popups turned off but these popups continue regardless what...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows Defender identifies the same PUP as a threat repeatedly