Windows 10: Windows defender is gone/disabled, cant enable back

Discus and support Windows defender is gone/disabled, cant enable back in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, recently i did a scan on my PC, and windows defender detected a virus, i deleted it, later after some time, my PC crashed so i had to restart... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SantiagoYX, May 5, 2021.

1. Windows defender is gone/disabled, cant enable back

Hello, recently i did a scan on my PC, and windows defender detected a virus, i deleted it, later after some time, my PC crashed so i had to restart itAfter that, i noticed that my windows defender wasnt open like it should, so i went to settings and then windows security, only to be greated by this: Windows defender is blank, so then i tried to enable it on "services" it appears as disabled and it wont let me enable it backThen i searched for this problem on the internet, and it tried everything possible with the registry and the command prompt and everything, still nothingi even updated

:)

SantiagoYX, May 5, 2021

2. Windows defender couldnt be enable after being disabled

Hello Imtiaz,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Before we proceed I would like you to answer the following questions:

• Have you installed any third-party security software on your computer?

• Are you using administrator account?

• Is the computer connected to domain?

• Did you try restarting the computer and check?
    I suggest you to follow the methods below:

Method 1

update the group policy and check.

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Gpupdate and press enter.

• Then try enabling the Windows defender in group policy and check.
    This issue usually arises when you have installed a security software on your computer. From Windows 8 onwards, the Windows Defender is equipped with all the functionalities of an anti-virus software including real-time protection which was not
    present in Windows Defender in Windows 7.

Method 2

If you have any third-party security software installed, I would suggest you to uninstall thatsoftware and then upgrade to Windows 10. As it is not recommended to keep more than 1 anti-virus software with real-time protection.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable/uninstall your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable/uninstall
    it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Whenever you install a third-party security software in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, it automatically disables Windows Defender to avoid conflicts.

Method 3

I suggest you to follow the steps below to turn on the windows defender.

• Type control panel in the search box.

• Choose the Action Center under
      System and Security option.

• You see the notification that Windows defender is turned off below the
      Security label. Hit the Turn on now tab to active the Windows Defender again.
    Please get back to us with updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, May 5, 2021
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, May 5, 2021
  4. Windows defender is gone/disabled, cant enable back

How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Windows defender is gone/disabled, cant enable back

1. Windows defender is gone/disabled, cant enable back - Similar Threads - defender gone disabled

2. i cant disable windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant disable windows defender: it says that my it administrator limited my access but this is my own laptop that i setup and it has a local account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-disable-windows-defender/a90089e6-6857-4a6b-8b66-4d182797d41f
  3. i cant disable windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cant disable windows defender: it says that my it administrator limited my access but this is my own laptop that i setup and it has a local account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-disable-windows-defender/a90089e6-6857-4a6b-8b66-4d182797d41f
  4. Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.: I was using bitdefender for a while, but now i uninstalled it. even after uninstalling it, my default windows defender is not working. Its showing "this page has been blocked by your IT Admin....." this only happend when some other Antivirus is installed! but i don't have...
  5. Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.: I was using bitdefender for a while, but now i uninstalled it. even after uninstalling it, my default windows defender is not working. Its showing "this page has been blocked by your IT Admin....." this only happend when some other Antivirus is installed! but i don't have...
  6. Can't disable Windows Defender after re enabling it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't disable Windows Defender after re enabling it: I enabled Windows Defender to scan some files. Now when I try to disable it by writing 1 to DisableAntiSpyware I get error writing value's new contents. I have tamper protection disabled and also tried using Group Policy but also didn't work. My laptop runs slower and heats...
  7. Cant re enable windows defender.

Cant re enable windows defender.: [IMG] Originally there was the problem that my virus protection was run by my organization (dont have one) so I deleted the disableantispyware thing in regedit and now when i go to restart the antivirus there is an error. Now I cant enable both of these services and I cant...
  8. cant disable windows defender

cant disable windows defender: even when i do all of this the service keeps runing in the background https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10#disable-windows-defender-with-registry submitted by /u/Rich_Goat [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows Defender Disabled and wont re enable

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Disabled and wont re enable: So heres the deal. A little while ago, my windows security center started acting up. It keeps giving me a message that my access has been limited ( see attached screenshots) Ive tried everything i can think of short of gpedit (windows home so i aint got access) Ive used...
  10. Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 Starting with Windows Security app. Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device...