Windows 10: Windows Defender is having serious issues/Virus?

Discus and support Windows Defender is having serious issues/Virus? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So my windows defender stopped working completely, i noticed it when the scan option disappeared from my context menu. I went and checked to see if... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by aron424242, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Windows Defender is having serious issues/Virus?

So my windows defender stopped working completely, i noticed it when the scan option disappeared from my context menu. I went and checked to see if windows defender was on and there no sys tray icon and the windows security menu shows as blank when opened. Virus and threat protection menu will not let me scan or update or do anything. i have been through many google posts trying many different things. I will list what i have been through so far to eliminate what I have already tried. I'm fairly well off with computers but am no expert by any means so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. When I noticed the problem I looked through my settings first and seeing nothing wrong I tried simply restarting security center through services.msc. But upon right clicking it all of my playback options (restart etc.) are greyed out. Its worth mentioning at this point in time I had never installed any third party software for antivirus/anti malware or anything. I only ever had windows security.

2. When that did not work I did a quick search to see troubleshooting options, I did a sfc scan which did say it found errors but was unable to fix them. Also did DISM RestoreHealth, didn't work, so then a component cleanup and retried the first two again. That did not work either.

3. It was suggested to do a clean boot, even though i had not installed any new software and knew there was nothing conflicting there i tried it anyways. Didn't work either.

4. Now I found afew articles about registry edits, and conflicting entries. Changed the DisableAntiSpyware reg value from 1 to 0. Also found one of these named entries "MsMpEng.exe" and I deleted it.

5. Assuming now based on the above my problem was most likely malware. Downloaded and ran malwarebytes/hitmanpro/zemana. There was definitely malware on there, from my skim thorugh of what they were it looked to me mostly like stuff preventing notifications about firewalls etc.... so I removed all of that. Restarted the computer and ran all the scans a second time. Everything came up clean. But still not working.

6. Re-tried steps 1-4, still not working, but while i was poking around the hard drive and settings this time I noticed my UAC was turned off as well as my system restore, Remote desktop had been enabled, and there was 2 random extra user accounts under C:/Users "Default01" and another with a similar name. (some weird s**t) I deleted the UA folders, turned UAC and system restore back on and disabled remote help. Cleaned out all of my temp files everywhere as well. Restarted the PC again but still not working.

7. I downloaded Kaspersky Security, ran a full scan, the only thing it came up with was one riskware file, and its from an unofficial game patch i downloaded for one of my games from nexusmods site. I highly doubt that's the cause of my issues.

(PS) Anything I found to do with group policy controls I could not change or access at all due to not even having gpedit on windows 10 home for whatever reason they did that. I saw a reg hack to supposedly enable it but I wasn't about to give it a shot it didnt seem smart to me

(PPS) Also downloaded a program called RE-image considering the sfc scan said corrupt but didn't realize it was free scan, pay to repair so i opted out. Malwarebytes detects it as an unwanted program but I looked up the software before i used it at all (always do) and its fine.

So that's where i am now..... Lost lol. Sorry for the long post but just trying to be as descriptive as I can for whoever is reading this, and whoever is reading this I thank you kindly for your time. Short of doing a re install of windows i have exhausted all of my capabilities. Please somebody help mee!
    I have a feeling that now that my computer is malware/virus clean there is just some dumb thing I am missing or that I don't know about windows 10 that can solve my issue.

Thank you for hearing me out!

:)

aron424242, Sep 12, 2019

2. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    win 10 defender issues

Hi,

Windows Defender helps in making your computer secure from any viruses or malware. Listed below are some reasons why the program will not work properly:

• Software conflicts (usually cause with other anti-virus application)
    • Virus and malware infection
    • Corrupted system files

To help you with the issue, we suggest following the steps provided by
    PrashantKumar96
    on this thread
    that can help in running your Windows Defender successfully.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Windows Defender is having serious issues/Virus?

Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender is having serious issues/Virus?

1. Windows Defender is having serious issues/Virus? - Similar Threads - Defender having serious

2. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  3. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  4. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Possible virus. Have Defender.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible virus. Have Defender.: I have Windows Defender. Lately, I've gotten popup warnings about my computer being infected w/ spyware. Most likely, it is. The messages say I've got 3 or 5 viruses. McAfee & Norton have ads offering to wipe out the viruses for a fee. Shouldn't Defender have caught this?...
  6. Having serious Teredo issues. need help!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having serious Teredo issues. need help!!!: hello! so this will be a long post. i am having issues playing online games through the xbox app. more specifically i got gamepass and downloaded Forza Horizon 4. the game works ok except for any online play. I simply cant access it. my computer is a Dell g7 running windows...
  7. Serious Defender Problems

Serious Defender Problems: Defender is broken at the moment. See the thread below since you might want to limit PC use until MS fix it. Windows Security Virus Scan 154421
  8. windows defender virus and protection history issue

windows defender virus and protection history issue: hello I did a scan and found the trojan virus I did not understand whether the virus was deleted and I was wondering how to delete the other topic protection history ?[ATTACH]...
  9. Having serious issues with virus/malware

Having serious issues with virus/malware: Just had a look at my daughter's laptop and I'm having serious issues with malware Win32/Heri and Win32/DH {Pg} in C:\Windows\SysremWOW64\hmpalert.dll. The pc is erratic to say the least, have Malwarebytes, AVG Free HitmanPro Alert but they all take ages to start to be able...
  10. serious issue re: virtual disk service (virus)

serious issue re: virtual disk service (virus): 10/10/18 I encountered over 14K events all of which carry errors warnings etc. 10/29/2018 I have over 19K. Serious. Important serious issues. Source shows virtual disk service??????...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender only scanning afew files