Windows 10: Windows Defender isn't removing some of the threats

Discus and support Windows Defender isn't removing some of the threats in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Defender notified me about 2 PUA's and I took the suggested action of removing them, but after I click on remove, it doesn't go. It shows that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AshishChavan_15, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Windows Defender isn't removing some of the threats

Defender notified me about 2 PUA's and I took the suggested action of removing them, but after I click on remove, it doesn't go. It shows that the threats are active. I uninstalled and removed the folder and the files/software which were affected but the threats are still there. The threats which I am getting are PUA:Win32/Presenoker and App:Cheat_Engine_BundleInstaller. I need some suggestions on how can I remove those completely.

:)

AshishChavan_15, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

3. Windows Defender Doesnt Remove threats.

Can you give us what is/was the fully qualified name and
    path
    to the file deemed to be a virus/trojan ?

It will be a lot easier to help you remove it once we know what it is and
    where its saved into, as it appears under quarantine or on the list of detected items

`~`

I suggest you to use Windows Defender Offline in Safe mode and remove the virus and check if the issue is resolved.

Windows Defender Offline is a stand-alone tool that comes preloaded with the latest antimalware updates. It works outside of Windows, which means it can catch and clean infections that hide themselves when Windows is running.

• Go to another PC that isn’t infected and download Windows Defender Offline.

• Insert a blank USB flash drive or CD into the PC, and then run the Windows Defender Offline file that you just downloaded.

• You will be prompted to install Windows Defender Offline to the blank USB flash drive or CD.

• After you’ve installed Windows Defender Offline onto the USB flash drive or CD, insert it into your infected PC and
      restart in
      Safe Mode
      . You will be prompted to start the Windows Defender Offline tool.

The following articles may help if you're having trouble getting the tool to work:

After you've used Windows Defender Offline, you should make sure your security software is up to date and run a full scan:

Even if we've already detected and removed this particular threat, running a full scan might find other malware that is hiding on your PC.

Please post to us if the virus issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

-=-

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Windows Defender isn't removing some of the threats

Defender wont remove the threats

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with Windows Defender wont remove threats from the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

There might be a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to some third party security software that is installed on the system.

However, we need more information on this issue. Please answer this question so that we can understand this issue better.

• Did you make any significant changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Try re-starting the scan.

Sometimes restarting a scan can resolve issues such as this, where the scan can long or gets stuck.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Windows Defender is taking long time to perform a full scan.

This issue happens due to temporary Internet files, cookies, and other app log files. To resolve this issue, it is recommended to remove all these files before you schedule a full scan.

Deleting the temporary files and the browsing history increases the performance of Internet Explorer. However, you can store the temporary files till the space allocated to it is completely filled up. So it is wise to delete
    the files and the browsing history, every couple of months.

Please refer to these steps to remove all temporary files.

Delete the temporary files and the browsing history.

Reset Internet Explorer settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/change-ie-settings#ie=ie-10

Note:
    The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that
    you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

Follow the steps to Delete Browsing History.

Also, update the definition pack before you perform a full scan to remove the latest spyware.

How to manually download the latest definition updates for Windows Defender.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender isn't removing some of the threats

1. Windows Defender isn't removing some of the threats - Similar Threads - Defender isn't removing

2. Can remove a threat by windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can remove a threat by windows defender: Hello,I received the following warning after I plugged in my USB Flashdrive, I click on remove the threat but it doesn't go away. Please note that I've checked my USB flash drive using an anti-virus software but it was found to be clean, also note that my flash drive doesn't...
  3. Can remove a threat by windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can remove a threat by windows defender: Hello,I received the following warning after I plugged in my USB Flashdrive, I click on remove the threat but it doesn't go away. Please note that I've checked my USB flash drive using an anti-virus software but it was found to be clean, also note that my flash drive doesn't...
  4. windows defender not removing threat

windows defender not removing threat: today windows defender has found a threat with high severity, i clicked on the remove option and clicked "start action", nothing happened; i also tried running some quick scans and a full scan, still nothing. Also tried restarting my laptop but the threat is still...
  5. Windows Defender: Threat Removed or Restored

Windows Defender: Threat Removed or Restored: About a week or two ago, Windows Defender detected a virus called "Trojan:Win32/Woreflint.A!cl" Details: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker. The virus I'm pretty sure was quarantined but I got a notification of some sort of Windows Defender...
  6. Windows defender threat restored or removed

Windows defender threat restored or removed: so i accidentaly restored and now im worried will the file infect my pc please respond https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-threat-restored-or-removed/a7a6918a-ff73-4426-babe-a02f3a0af00b
  7. WINDOWS DEFENDER IS NOT REMOVING THREATS

WINDOWS DEFENDER IS NOT REMOVING THREATS: I'm having a problem with Windows Defender the threats found after I ran a full scan that last maybe around 10 hours cannot be removed by windows defender. I selected the remove option and it shows processing but after a while the threats are still listed and active. I...
  8. Windows defender not was unsuccessful in removing some threats

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows defender not was unsuccessful in removing some threats: Windows Defender found some Trojan and worm. It took more than 3 hours to remove 3/4 of the issues. The Hack tool was not removed. So I am now running Windows Defender Offline and it restarted the computer. Is this an issue? What do I do next? Please help![IMG]...
  9. removing threats with windows defender

removing threats with windows defender: So iv chosen what actions to perform which are to remove and made no action on the threats blocked as i dont want them to be allowed to stay. So how do i tell windows to caring out these actions? Im currently looking under Protection history...
  10. windows defender allowed threat isn't saved

windows defender allowed threat isn't saved: I allowed a threat through windows defender but It eventually gets removed from allowed threats and reappear waiting for me to take actions. I don't intend to exclude it because it won't get detected even if it got infected with other malware. I only want to allow this...