Windows 10: Windows Defender keeps changing my custom DNS back to DHCP

Discus and support Windows Defender keeps changing my custom DNS back to DHCP in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; If you're experiencing the same thing, your custom DNS keeps reverting to DHCP, it may be Windows Defender.I've repeatedly set custom static DNS... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Intuit, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Intuit Win User

Windows Defender keeps changing my custom DNS back to DHCP

If you're experiencing the same thing, your custom DNS keeps reverting to DHCP, it may be Windows Defender.I've repeatedly set custom static DNS settings only to find that it later reverted back to DHCP. with much less reliable service as a resultI resolved the issue by turning Windows Defender off.I ran into this same problem several years ago and had to do the same thing. My old computer having been physically busted up, I've begun transitioning over to the replacement and ran into the same problem. So again, I've had to disable Windows Defender.NOTE: This is not malware related

:)

Intuit, Aug 12, 2021
  2. hugobob Win User

DNS assigned by DHCP not working

Hi,

5 days ago my wifi connection stopped accepting the assigned DNS over DHCP. I'm not aware of making any changes to the configuration that could have led to this problem, there was one windows update relating to flash and the malicious software removal tool,
    but no others since the problem has occured

Despite the network the adapter properties being set to "obtain DNS server address automatically" regardless of the network I connect to and the settings issued by the DHCP server, the DNS on my computer is set to 192.168.1.1. (other computers work fine)

I have to manually assign the correct DNS server and change it each time I change network

does anyone know what is happening?

Thanks

hugobob, Aug 12, 2021
  3. Change DNS server sttings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

When exactly do you get this error?

Try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Clear the DNS (Domain Name System) cache.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click on the Command prompt(Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns and press
      Enter.

Method 2:

Step 1:

• Connect to your router (by typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in the address bar) and log in. Check your user manual or documentation if you do not know the log-in credentials.
    • Make sure you are in the Setup ->Basic Setup category.
    • Scroll down until you see 'DHCP Server' - if it is disabled, select 'Enable'.
    • Enable DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). If you want, you can change the number that the DHCP IP assigning starts (this is optional).
    • Use the DNS (Domain Name System) servers provided to you by your
      ISP (Internet Service Provider). There are many DNS servers out there. It's best to use your ISP's if possible.
    • Scroll down and click 'Save Settings'.
    Step 2:

• Press Windows + X and click on Control Panel.
    • Go to Networking and sharing center and then click on
      Change adapter settings
    • Right click on Local Area Connection and choose
      Properties
    • Highlight Internet Protocol Version 6 and click on
      Properties
    • Choose Obtain DNS server address automatically and press
      Ok.
    • Choose Obtain IP address automatically.
    • Repeat the steps for Internet Protocol version 4 as well.
    • Test the issue.

Hope this helps you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Aug 12, 2021
  4. Windows Defender keeps changing my custom DNS back to DHCP

DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender keeps changing my custom DNS back to DHCP

1. Windows Defender keeps changing my custom DNS back to DHCP - Similar Threads - Defender keeps changing

2. Unable to change DNS settings to automatic DHCP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change DNS settings to automatic DHCP: Cannot change DNS Server Assignment to automatic DHCP on hardware properties of network and internet settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-dns-settings-to-automatic-dhcp/ea2d77d4-cb46-497b-b150-2d31bfd74f01
  3. Unable to change DNS settings to automatic DHCP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change DNS settings to automatic DHCP: Cannot change DNS Server Assignment to automatic DHCP on hardware properties of network and internet settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-dns-settings-to-automatic-dhcp/ea2d77d4-cb46-497b-b150-2d31bfd74f01
  4. My DNS keeps changing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My DNS keeps changing: Hello, I need help with a thing with is annoying me. Since my parents are divorced I have to go to each others houses every week. Whenever I set up my pc, my internet is horrible. The way I always fix it is by changing the DNS manually. But whenever I turn my pc back on it...
  5. DNS or DHCP error

DNS or DHCP error: Dear Good Samaritans My ACER laptop network suddenly stops working. The symptoms are: Only Google sites and some other sites are accessible. All others will return the error: DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN. All other mobile devices and the other Thinkpad work fine in the same...
  6. My DNS Server keeps changing.

My DNS Server keeps changing.: My DNS keeps changing, idk why... microsoft can you help me fix the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dns-server-keeps-changing/2f85b43c-7e3a-4a7e-aa89-90cb81fc8515
  7. DNS keep changing to 8.8.8.8 & 9.9.9.9

DNS keep changing to 8.8.8.8 & 9.9.9.9: Dear Respected All ,, I have issue with DNS , it`s changed in all computers from obtain DNS automatically to Use the following preferred DNS :8.8.8.8 Alternate DNS : 9.9.9.9 This happen in one premises of our campus and result in login issues to all users and no...
  8. DNS server keeps changing itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DNS server keeps changing itself: I used to have my DNS server set to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 but in order to access a shared drive at work, I have to set it to automatic. Problem is, every time I bring my laptop into work, it's changed itself back to the Google DNS and I have to manually change it back every day....
  9. Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue I'm having is the fact that I can't setup network locations the way I could on the Mac. In other words, I could setup location...
  10. Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue I'm having is the fact that I can't setup network locations the way I could on the Mac. In other words, I could setup location...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender problem für dhcp server