Windows 10: Windows Defender keeps disabling itself?

Discus and support Windows Defender keeps disabling itself? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So for the past few days I’ve noticed that Windows Defender keeps disabling itself. I use an app called RKill that kills applications for a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/throwawaynsfw1269420, May 23, 2020.

1. Windows Defender keeps disabling itself?

So for the past few days I’ve noticed that Windows Defender keeps disabling itself. I use an app called RKill that kills applications for a clean malware scan. I use MalwareBytes as an combo. And I have also recently reinstalled my PC and last time it didn’t have options or settings. Something’s different. Anyways, as I was using RKill. The log file showed this in the end:

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender] "DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

I then opened Windows Security and enabled Windows Defender again. Then it happened again. It is recurring, it happened once yesterday and twice today. I don’t think I have any viruses considering I just did a clean reinstall of my PC and have thoroughly scanned my PC. This never happened before and before I reinstalled my PC, I also used multiple AV tools at that time. I already tried looking it up in Registry Editor but I realized I shouldn’t be messing with registries, decided to ask here instead. What could be the possible cause for this? What is it and why is it happening? Ask me if you have any questions. Thanks for reading!

submitted by /u/throwawaynsfw1269420
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/throwawaynsfw1269420, May 23, 2020

2. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, May 23, 2020
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, May 23, 2020
  4. John Zab Win User

Windows Defender keeps disabling itself?

Windows defender offline disables mouse

Thanks for clarifying things out. If you want to ensure that Windows Defender runs a scan, we suggest that you try these steps:

• Press Windows + X, then select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
    • Type the following commands and press Enter after each:

Dism /Online / Clenup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • System will run integrity checks, once process is done, we suggest that you restart you PC to ensure that changes will apply
    Keep us posted.

John Zab, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender keeps disabling itself?

1. Windows Defender keeps disabling itself? - Similar Threads - Defender keeps disabling

2. ethernet keeps disabling itself...help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ethernet keeps disabling itself...help!: This problem is driving me crazy. I recently bought a new HP Windows 10 laptop. It doesn't have an ethernet jack, so I'm plugging in via a USB adapter, through a USB hub. Problem is, ethernet disables itself off periodically, and switches over to wifi. On my old laptop,...
  3. .NET Framework keeps disabling itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    .NET Framework keeps disabling itself: Help! My .NET framework keeps disabling itself after I enable it! I go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off After that I select .NET Extensibility 4.8, and have tried enabling them all at once as well. It disables right after. I go...
  4. WiFi in Windows 10 keeps disabling itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WiFi in Windows 10 keeps disabling itself: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 Home on my laptop. The WiFi keeps disabling itself automatically. It won't even show the available connections. I have to go to the Device Manager, disable the driver and then re-enable the driver to get it working. I ran sfc /scannow and it...
  5. Network adapter keeps on disabling itself

Network adapter keeps on disabling itself: Whenever I try to connect to the internet, my network adapter will instantly disable itself. It can display the list of available networks just fine, but once I tried to connect to any one of it, the adapter will disable itself. I even tried to connect using USB Tethering...
  6. Network adapter keeps on disabling itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network adapter keeps on disabling itself: Whenever I try to connect to the internet, my network adapter will instantly disable itself. It can display the list of available networks just fine, but once I tried to connect to any one of it, the adapter will disable itself. I even tried to connect using USB Tethering...
  7. Wifi adapter keeps disabling itself.

Wifi adapter keeps disabling itself.: For about a week now I've had to deal with my computer suddenly disconnecting itself from the internet. There doesn't seem to be any particular timing to it; I'll just be going about my business and suddenly it'll disconnect and won't be able to find a network connection for...
  8. Windows Update keeps disabling itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update keeps disabling itself: My Windows update keeps disabling itself every few hours. This also disables the updates for windows store apps. I've noticed that the services "Windows Update" and "Storage Service" keep being set to "Disabled". If I set these two services back to "Manual", then both...
  9. Wi-Fi Adapter keeps disabling itself.

Wi-Fi Adapter keeps disabling itself.: My Wi-Fi adapter kept disabling itself and now I can't enable it again, for the past few month or more when my internet connect fails I kept disabling and enabling it and now it's disabling itself. I've tried to troubleshoot it myself but all I can come up with is to restart...
  10. Windows Defender Keeps Turning Itself Off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender Keeps Turning Itself Off: I have to turn Windows Defender back on every day. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem? I have Windows 10 (automatically updated) and no other virus protection software installed....