Windows 10: Windows Defender makes it painfully slow to access files

Discus and support Windows Defender makes it painfully slow to access files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm new to using Defender. I finally got sick of AVG and dumped it. So I have Defender enabled with real-time protection, but now accessing files is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rivre, Mar 22, 2019.

1. rivre Win User

Windows Defender makes it painfully slow to access files

I'm new to using Defender. I finally got sick of AVG and dumped it. So I have Defender enabled with real-time protection, but now accessing files is unbelievably slow. I might as well have a virus at this point.

For example, I use a Nexus dock program which builds up the icons for my different apps I have in the dock. Every reboot, it needs to rebuild the app icons again as I hover over each tab. With Defender off, the icons build very quickly - just a few seconds. Same when I had AVG installed and running. As soon as Defender is enabled, it takes easily 10 times longer - to the point where I'd say it breaks my PC. Is this what people put up with when running Defender? Am I missing something?

I'm about to go shop around for another free antivirus option, but before I do I wanted to see if this is normal behavior. I saw some forum post elsewhere that suggested to exclude a ton of file types to make accessing them quicker, including .exe and a ton of other common files (jpg, txt, etc.) but at that point, I won't have any protection as everything will be excluded, lol.

And if it does this even just accessing app icons, what will it do when I download, copy, extract or run large files?

:)

rivre, Mar 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 - Painfully slow

Mine's the same. Painfully slow! And no, it's not at all the gradual aging of a computer. It was super fast and responsive until the moment Windows 10 went on. Now each double click just on a folder in the file explorer takes a long time to open and respond.

Windows 10 looks shiny and new, but under the hood it's so much slower than what it replaced.

Drivers have been updated too, so any other suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!

GrahamKell, Mar 22, 2019
  3. kailashXJ Win User
    downloading painfully slow

I upgrade win 8.1 to win 10 after sometime i notice that downloading painfully slow................ If there any solution..? Then please tell me...................

Thanks

kailashXJ, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Windows Defender makes it painfully slow to access files

windows defender runs slow

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Have you installed any third party security application in your system, apart from Windows 10?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    I would like to inform you that this issue might occur, if the Windows defender is scanning too many junk or malware effected files in the system. As of now,
    I suggest you to run System maintenance task and check if it helps.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.
    For more information, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-defender-offline-faq

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender makes it painfully slow to access files

1. Windows Defender makes it painfully slow to access files - Similar Threads - Defender makes painfully

2. Painfully slow file transfers in windows 11 on fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Painfully slow file transfers in windows 11 on fresh install: Hello, I have a fresh x64 install of windows 11 2H23 using the latest build, I updated all of my drivers.For some reason file copies are REALLY REALLY slow! I copied 300gb of files from Drive D 4tb intel pcie U.2 drive should be getting around 4000mbps to drive C: 4tb SP...
  3. Painfully slow file transfers in windows 11 on fresh install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Painfully slow file transfers in windows 11 on fresh install: Hello, I have a fresh x64 install of windows 11 2H23 using the latest build, I updated all of my drivers.For some reason file copies are REALLY REALLY slow! I copied 300gb of files from Drive D 4tb intel pcie U.2 drive should be getting around 4000mbps to drive C: 4tb SP...
  4. OneDrive, Quick Access, and Pain

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive, Quick Access, and Pain: windows 11explorer.exethis file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default apps settings pageonedrive one drivestarted happening after deleting and...
  5. thumbnails painfully slow to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    thumbnails painfully slow to load: Hi, I bought a high powered Lenovo laptop for photo editing thinking I had all my bases covered - only to be tripped up by Windows 10 PAINFULLY slow loading and thus browsing of picture thumbnails. I have sometimes 1000s of photos in files that I need to view thumbnails of on...
  6. New installation - all file operations painfully slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New installation - all file operations painfully slow: First time Windows 10 user here. I've made a fresh installation on a new computer, and file operations like moving, copying or moving to trash are stupidly slow (waiting three minutes to move 20MB is not reasonable), in an SSD drive that's new and almost empty. How can I fix...
  7. painfully slow file operations on ogg and opus files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    painfully slow file operations on ogg and opus files: deleting/moving ogg or opus files is painfully slow, like freezing-for-a-few-minutes slow, not running slow. and it seems to be the explorer's problem because every other software works with these files just fine, import, edit, export, as usual, it's just the explorer that...
  8. SurfaceBook Painfully slow on chrome

SurfaceBook Painfully slow on chrome: Ive recently picked up a surfacebook 1 with dGPU and have noticed that compared to my old 2011 macbook pro and my friends surface2 that this surface book is extremely slow in chrome, switching tabs is very slow and loading new pages is even worse, ive noticed that its so slow...
  9. Windows 10 painfully slow

Windows 10 painfully slow: My old HP laptop running Windows 7 Pro crashed on me so I'm using my backup laptop a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series running Windows 10. It is ridiculously slow & beyond frustrating! I don't understand how a practically "new" computer (hardly ever used) is running so much slower...
  10. Windows 10 update - painfully slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update - painfully slow: Never seen this issue with Windows 7; I'm using a 10Mb connection which works fine when downloading anything else, but Windows Update is stuck on 2% for the past hour. Any help appreciated, P. 35593

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender file copy so slow

2. windows defender makes Pos app run slow