Windows 10: Windows Defender making laptop unusable and it's affecting my work

Discus and support Windows Defender making laptop unusable and it's affecting my work in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Every now and then my laptop freezes up, my screen goes black and I have to restart my computer. I very often deal with Chrome pages that refuse to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DaechiDragon, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Windows Defender making laptop unusable and it's affecting my work

Every now and then my laptop freezes up, my screen goes black and I have to restart my computer. I very often deal with Chrome pages that refuse to load because I'm running out of memory and occaisonally I have to suspend my Skype classes, which gets me into big trouble.

I've tried everything I can think of and the only option left seem to be reformatting (which I don't have time for - I'd have to schedule it in) or disabling Windows Defender, which everybody advises against.

I have uninstalled most programs and tried allocating more memory via my hard drive. l have also freed up space.

'Antimalware Service Executable' takes up to 80% of my memory and my laptop isn't even old. It seems that I'm held hostage to this and I'm losing real money from cancelled Skype appointments.

What can I do?

submitted by /u/DaechiDragon
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DaechiDragon, Oct 27, 2020

2. Malware on system, a.k.a. "Windows 'Defender'" is making computer completely unusable.

I suggest you to use Windows Defender Offline in Safe mode and remove the virus and check if the issue is resolved.

Windows Defender Offline is a stand-alone tool that comes preloaded with the latest antimalware updates. It works outside of Windows, which means it can catch and clean infections that hide themselves when Windows is running.

• Go to another PC that isn’t infected and download Windows Defender Offline.

• Insert a blank USB flash drive or CD into the PC, and then run the Windows Defender Offline file that you just downloaded.

• You will be prompted to install Windows Defender Offline to the blank USB flash drive or CD.

• After you’ve installed Windows Defender Offline onto the USB flash drive or CD, insert it into your infected PC and
      restart in Safe Mode

You will be prompted to start the Windows Defender Offline tool.

After you've used Windows Defender Offline, you should make sure your security software is up to date and run a full scan:

Even if we've already detected and removed this particular threat, running a full scan might find other malware that is hiding on your PC.

Please post to us if the virus issue is resolved.

-=-

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Windows Defender Not Working in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I suggest you to Set Windows Defender to Automatic - You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these
    steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.
    • Search for Windows defender.
    • Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.
    Also, follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Oct 27, 2020
  4. Windows Defender making laptop unusable and it's affecting my work

Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender making laptop unusable and it's affecting my work

1. Windows Defender making laptop unusable and it's affecting my work - Similar Threads - Defender making laptop

2. malware affected my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    malware affected my laptop: I was trying to download a third party software and some malware infected my device I can't seem to get rid of it.I try to delete it, it says I need permission from trustedinstaller to delete. What do I do? Also, my virus and threat protection settings are all restricted and...
  3. malware affected my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    malware affected my laptop: I was trying to download a third party software and some malware infected my device I can't seem to get rid of it.I try to delete it, it says I need permission from trustedinstaller to delete. What do I do? Also, my virus and threat protection settings are all restricted and...
  4. malware affected my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mouse flickering and making laptop unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse flickering and making laptop unusable: My cursor is constantly flickering. When it flickers, the entire computer starts lagging and becomes basically unusable. The windows key doesn't seem to work, it just makes the screen a little darker for a few seconds. The only temporary solution I have is to press the...
  6. Mouse flickering and making laptop unusable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse flickering and making laptop unusable: My cursor is constantly flickering. When it flickers, the entire computer starts lagging and becomes basically unusable. The windows key doesn't seem to work, it just makes the screen a little darker for a few seconds. The only temporary solution I have is to press the...
  7. Mouse flickering and making laptop unusable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sick of Windows update making my PC completely unusable: Hi there. So I have my update settings to happen when the PC is inactive, but every couple-few weeks, when I suppose it's preparing and downloading a future update, my PC cannot even do basic functions. It takes a good minute+ to open a new webpage, or even task manager. A...
  9. Antimalware Service Executable is making my laptop unusable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Antimalware Service Executable is making my laptop unusable: This program runs all day all the time, eating up my memory cpu and disk. I cant even open edge sometimes. I unchecked highest privileges and unchecked conditions in task scheduler but it made no change, it just keeps going. I’m not sure what to do at this point. For...
  10. Mic delay is making karaoke laptop unusable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mic delay is making karaoke laptop unusable: I am using my laptop for karaoke so the issue I am facing is terrible for me. The delay is long and I cannot use this laptop for that purpose https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mic-delay-is-making-karaoke-laptop-unusable/bcf0b877-301c-45ed-985d-b3fac8252998