Windows 10: Windows Defender Manual Update Error

Discus and support Windows Defender Manual Update Error in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; When I attempt to do a manual update of Windows Defender definitions I get an error message. From the Windows Defender Security Center, clicking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by c2613, Oct 11, 2017.

1. c2613 Win User

Windows Defender Manual Update Error

When I attempt to do a manual update of Windows Defender definitions I get an error message.

From the Windows Defender Security Center, clicking "Check for Updates" results in the message shown in the following screen shot:

Windows Defender Manual Update Error [​IMG]

When I attempt manual update from the Windows Defender Antivirus screen by clicking "Update Definitions" I get the following screenshot

Windows Defender Manual Update Error [​IMG]

Interestingly, Windows Defender seems to successfully update itself when left to do so in automatic mode.

Looking for help finding the source and fix for this issue.

Many thanks to anyone who can be of help.

C.

:)

c2613, Oct 11, 2017

2. On Windows Defender Definition Update error 0x80070643

With all due respect, I don't see anything in Jason Yim's multi-edited post above stating that a onetime manual Defs update (whether via the Update button or the Security Portal) will then lead to Defender "automatically updating itself" again. Do you have
    another source?

FWIW OPs in many of the recent threads I've handled about the error tell me that Defender
    is auto-updating, they're only encountering the 0x80070643 error when attempting to update Defender whilst running a manual check for (Windows) updates.

Others state that the 0x80070643 errors are only listed in Update History, despite the fact that Defender recently auto-updated & continue to auto-update.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 11, 2017
  3. Windows defender not updating every time I try to update

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.6048.0) - Error 0x80070643

Every time I click 'update' it comes up with this error. It will not let me update it manually or through the defender as it has been disabled. please help?

ρяαиανι, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I'm not seeing that problem. Apparently a 'buggy' definition update has caused this error in the past. If it continues, this post from @jyim89 (Microsoft Windows Defender Team) may be of help...

On Windows Defender Definition Update error 0x80070643

5. c2613 Win User
    I had previously posted about this problem on the "answers.microsoft.com" forum. Jason Yim was one of the responders to that post. I followed his instructions for obtaining Windows logs and sending to him. Have heard nothing more from him for a couple of weeks.

Don't think this is related to a single definition update because every day or so, it shows a different definition update available but the same error message is displayed for each manual update attempt.

C.

c2613, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Manual Update Error - Similar Threads - Defender Manual Update

2. Error updating / manually installing Windows updates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error updating / manually installing Windows updates.: I have an unactive Windows 11 right now, as per my the documentation I should still be able to install updates but, whenever I try to install the KB5034123 or KB4023057 updates for 22H2 x64 based windows 11 system it keeps saying retry and doesn't install the updates and...
  3. Error updating / manually installing Windows updates.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error updating / manually installing Windows updates.: I have an unactive Windows 11 right now, as per my the documentation I should still be able to install updates but, whenever I try to install the KB5034123 or KB4023057 updates for 22H2 x64 based windows 11 system it keeps saying retry and doesn't install the updates and...
  4. Trying to update windows defender virus manually, but definition update failed.. error code...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to update windows defender virus manually, but definition update failed.. error code...: Trying to update windows defender virus manually, but definition update failed.. error code 2147024816. It was fine till 2 days ago. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-update-windows-defender-virus-manually/46128efc-1eb6-4139-b960-9de71671a359
  5. Trying to update windows defender virus manually, but definition update failed.. error code...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to update windows defender virus manually, but definition update failed.. error code...: Trying to update windows defender virus manually, but definition update failed.. error code 2147024816. It was fine till 2 days ago. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-update-windows-defender-virus-manually/46128efc-1eb6-4139-b960-9de71671a359
  6. Trying to update windows defender virus manually, but definition update failed.. error code...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Manual install of Microsoft Defender Antivirus update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Manual install of Microsoft Defender Antivirus update: Hello,I have a laptop that does not have access to internet. I still need to scan it and update antivirus definition file.I download the file from PC that has access to internet, then transfer it to laptop and try to install update. I do it using command line and running...
  8. Manually Updating Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Manually Updating Windows Defender?: I've had two blue screen errors recently with the stop code "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL." I was told that this was related to Windows Defender and that it may need an update, or may need to be reinstalled. However, when I try to check for updates, what has happened multiple times...
  9. Manually updating Windows Defender Antimalware Platform

Manually updating Windows Defender Antimalware Platform: I have downloaded latest KB file for updating WD Antimalware Platform from MS catalog for an offline PC I own. But there are three different executables with very long names. How do you apply the update? Do I need to run every one of them? TIA. 137319
  10. no manual update windows 10 defender after removing current update

no manual update windows 10 defender after removing current update: I removed the current cumulative update because it broke slingbox player for windows 10. (See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-77fe35223baf.) And I turned off the Windows update service. Yesterday I was able to manually update Windows Defender. Today not....