Windows 10: Windows Defender - NAS Files

Discus and support Windows Defender - NAS Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I hope this is going into the best category here. Using Windows 10. I have a Synology NAS. I download everything to it. So, I don't really want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mystik, Nov 11, 2019.

1. mystik Win User

Windows Defender - NAS Files

I hope this is going into the best category here.

Using Windows 10.

I have a Synology NAS. I download everything to it. So, I don't really want to disable Windows Defender (though I am open to switching to a different product, if there's one that handles this better). But, something's gotta give. It's locking up my file manager and even notepad for some weird reason when large archives are being uncompressed (via JDownloader 2).

I see that network usage is high. Though it is not always 100, it is sometimes, according to Task Manager. I even bought a 10GbE adapter (Thunderbolt 3 to 10Gbe) and card to run to my NAS. I did not realize at the time the problem was on the "Internet" side of things. Not that it was a waste. I am happy to have that anyway. But, I am not keen to go out and buy a new (and expensive) router as well as a switch to run 10GbE for both Internet and NAS. So, my question is... What should I do? Are there any tweaks that would both be recommended and functional as far as solving the problem? Or, is there a different anti-virus app I should change to? I very much appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

:)

mystik, Nov 11, 2019
  2. Gino Des Win User

Windows 10 & NAS Box

Hi Peter,

A few possible reasons can cause this issue. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• How is your NAS box connected to your computer? (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or USB)
    • Are you using a program provided by the manufacturer of your NAS box to access it?
    • Do you receive any error messages when accessing your NAS box? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you perform the solution provided by omiklik (Most Helpful Reply)
    in the following thread: Unable to see NAS drive on Network - Win 10 PC.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Nov 11, 2019
  3. Network attached storage (NAS)

OKAY... I get the laptop thru all the updates by using the troubleshooter. Now I still cannot see my NAS in file explorer BUT there is one file listed in quick access that is on the NAS. If I open file location I can see everything on the NAS (WOOHOO)
    but if I close file explorer and reopen it the NAS does not appear(?).

I am sure there is a small tweak that needs to be made but at least if I don't loose the quick access I will be able to access my files.

One step forward!!!!

Thanks,

Len

p.s. still working on the desktop Windows Defender - NAS Files :(

LenKopecky, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Windows Defender - NAS Files

Antimalware Service Executable scans NAS drive

Hi Thrawn,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

The issue you are facing could be due to the settings is not being set properly. Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. Follow the below steps:

• Type Windows defender on the Windows search bar.

• Select Windows Defender and click on Settings.

• Now click on Add an exclusion and click on
      Exclude a folder.

• Select the NAS drive and click on
      Exclude this folder

Hope this information helps, post us with the status we will be glad to assist you.

Billion Debbarma, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender - NAS Files

1. Windows Defender - NAS Files - Similar Threads - Defender NAS Files

2. Moving files on a NAS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files on a NAS: HelloWhenever I move a file from my NAS into another folder on that same NAS it throws me this messageIt's not prohibiting me from doing anything but it does get annoying, does anyone have any fixes?Thanks...
  3. Moving files on a NAS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving files on a NAS: HelloWhenever I move a file from my NAS into another folder on that same NAS it throws me this messageIt's not prohibiting me from doing anything but it does get annoying, does anyone have any fixes?Thanks...
  4. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Configuring a NAS and File History: I have a brand new NAS, I'm trying to configure File History in Win 10 to backup to my NAS automatically. In Explorer, I can see my NAS and all its file but when I try to select it as a backup location from File History, I get "You can't open this location using this location...
  5. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Configuring a NAS and File History: I have a brand new NAS, I'm trying to configure File History in Win 10 to backup to my NAS automatically. In Explorer, I can see my NAS and all its file but when I try to select it as a backup location from File History, I get "You can't open this location using this location...
  6. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. windows 10 search not working with NAS files, cannot find files on NAS in file explorer SOLVED

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 search not working with NAS files, cannot find files on NAS in file explorer SOLVED: this was a huge problem for my companyWIN 7 works fine with search, local and nasWIN 10 just cant seem to find anythingi dont know the logic of why the problem was fixed maybe someone could shed some lightone day when i was doing a fresh install of WIN 10 pro, i deactivated...
  8. File on NAS and Folder on NAS needs to be deleted thumbs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File on NAS and Folder on NAS needs to be deleted thumbs: Windows 10 Pro in Workgroup 20H2 version NAS Buffalo \\nasbuffaloipaddress\backups\backup2020.old and thumbs file in folder Have rebooted NAS and stopped backup service in services Would like to delete The file 'thumbs.db' is a system file. If you remove it, Windows or...
  9. Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on: Recently I started experiencing issues with transferring files from my Windows 10 laptop (Win version 1903) to a Synology NAS. On a regular basis, I need to transfer around 1 GB to the NAS. When I try to do that now, the transfer speed will go down to zero after 2 seconds and...
  10. Cannot access files on Nas

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access files on Nas: On 1803 (latest update) & 1809 I cannot access files on my nas or connect to my Nas web gui with jumbo frames enabled. This is happening on Intel & Realtek nic's. This had been working on all machines until the latest update Win10 Pro and Home. Disabling jumbo frames...