Windows 10: Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders.

Discus and support Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Today I tried to exclude files and folders in Windows Defender. Although I managed to select a file nothing was shown in the exclude window.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WENZU5, Jul 8, 2019.

1. WENZU5 Win User

Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders.

Hi,

Today I tried to exclude files and folders in Windows Defender.

Although I managed to select a file nothing was shown in the exclude window.

I tried different files and folders on other drives but nothing was actually selected by Defender.

Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

WENZU5, Jul 8, 2019
  2. kokakola Win User

Windows Defender won't list Excluded files, File Locations, etc..etc

Hi all,

I have selected certain file types / folders and locations in Windows Defender on Windows 10 that were added to the exclusions lists...

Previously I could go to Windows Defender and see what files, folders or extensions I had excluded but now they have disappeared....

All I see is the add buttons which work as intended when I want to add a folder etc etc....
    But then they are not listed anywhere so that I can remember what I have excluded or not....

Can some one please help me so that they are visible again, is there a setting in the registry that needs to be fixed?

This is what I should see where, below the red arrows I should see the excluded files/folders including their path etc etc [see image below]

Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders. [​IMG]

but I see nothing..

Yet if i go to the registry as indicated below...

File and file location exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths

File type exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Extensions

Processes exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Processes

they are all listed there....?

I have to say that windows defender is excluding folders/files and etc etc, that I have selected during its scans, but I cant see the excluded items in the Windows Defender as per image of my Exclusions section below...

Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders. [​IMG]

Thanking you in advance for your support and assistance on this issue....

Cheers

kokakola, Jul 8, 2019
  3. File History won't exclude folders

I just tried to exclude C:\Users\Donny\Downloads using the legacy control panel File History interface. When I clicked "Select Folder" the folder was added to the excluded folders list. When I clicked "Save changes" and went back into the excluded folders
    list, C:\Users\Donny\Downloads was not listed at all.

So certainly not fixed for me.

Donny Murgatroyd, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Shabingly Win User

"Exclude from File History" does not exclude folder

I found having the folders you want excluded as part of a users library scuppered my chances of file history actually accepting it was excluded; adding the libraries to exclusions seemed to work (after a restart or two), but I could never actually remove
    the folder successfully from the included list and it just ignored the exclusion. Even tried excluding the libraries.

E.g., C:/Users/Public/Public Music added to the music library (among other public folders)

C:/Users/Public added to exclusions

Could never remove C:/Users/Public Music (and others) from the included folders list.

I resolved it (I think, just did it this morning) by removing the folders from the user's libraries and just pinning the public music, public pictures and public videos folders to quick access in explorer. Seems to have done the job.

Shabingly, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender not adding excluded files and folders. - Similar Threads - Defender adding excluded

2. How to remove random files excluded in Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove random files excluded in Windows Defender?: Remove button is greyed out and already checked Registry Editor and it's empty. I cannot upload screenshot as well on this forum, I don't know why... : Thank you!...
  3. How to remove random files excluded in Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove random files excluded in Windows Defender?: Remove button is greyed out and already checked Registry Editor and it's empty. I cannot upload screenshot as well on this forum, I don't know why... : Thank you!...
  4. Files, Folder or Registry Entry to be exclude form Shadow Defender for UWP Application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files, Folder or Registry Entry to be exclude form Shadow Defender for UWP Application: I installed my windows 11 with Shadow Defender. I wish to be able to be able to keep my Windows Core file intact, but able to enable Apps download from Microsoft Store to be updated as needed and activities in the application saved, while in Shadow mode.Deep Shadow have the...
  5. Windows Defender scanning an excluded file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender scanning an excluded file: Hi Having Windows Defender running on a server 2016.Excluded a folder: s:\database\application\dataVerified in the logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Supportthe exclusion:2021-07-22T00:22:08.983Z [Exclusion] s:\database\application\data ->...
  6. Windows 10 Search Keeps adding C Drive to Excluded Folders

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Keeps adding C Drive to Excluded Folders: Every few days, Windows 10 Search stops working. When I go into Settings... Search... Searching Windows, I'll notice that "C:\" keeps being added to the Excluded Folders, after I keep removing it....
  7. Windows defender keeps scanning excluded folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows defender keeps scanning excluded folder: Hello, these two images show setup of windows defender and hdd usage by antivirus. I excluded folder from VMUbuntu and vmem file from defender and then I see it scanning exactly the same folder and file. This permanently blocks my computer and I have to shut it down...
  8. Can't exclude file from windows defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't exclude file from windows defender: There is literally no option to exclude a folder. My pc is not activated btw. submitted by /u/Thicccccboio [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f8hbrm/cant_exclude_file_from_windows_defender/
  9. Exclude Folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude Folder.: Hey guys, I have a folder in my Windoes 10 Explorer that I want to exclude from media scanning, so it won't appear in anywhere except Explorer. Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of .NOMEDIA folder like the one in Android. Thank you very much....
  10. Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded: Hello, My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list. The issue...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add folder to windows defender exclude

2. windows 10 managed windows defender view list of excluded files

3. windows defender wont exclude a folder

4. exclude a file from windows defender not showing