Windows 10: Windows Defender not as good as other Windows security suites - PC Mag

Discus and support Windows Defender not as good as other Windows security suites - PC Mag in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; For a different perspective. Do You Really Need to Buy Antivirus or VPN Anymore? | PCMag 155471 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by x509, May 1, 2020.

1. x509 Win User

Windows Defender not as good as other Windows security suites - PC Mag

x509, May 1, 2020

2. "Attestation" A new feature coming to Windows Defender in Windows 10

Tech Republic - Upcoming Windows Defender feature will tell you when security fails
    This seems very promising. Microsoft is in the unique position to know what Windows should look like, even before Windows Update pushes out new changes. As long as MS can properly sync WD with WU changes AND this new features does not make any "noticeable" hit on system performance/resources, all without any false positives, this should be a big step forward for consumer security, and a blow to the bad guys - always a good thing.

Of course, there will likely be some hiccups the Windows/Microsoft/Windows Defender bashers will surely pounce on - regardless how extensive the Beta process is. But hopefully open and unbiased minds will prevail. After all, the goal is to stop the bad guys and if this gets us closer to that, that's a very good thing.

For more detailed information, see Introducing Windows Defender System Guard runtime attestation)

Bill_Bright, May 1, 2020
  3. malware Win User
    Windows Defender Released

Microsoft has released the final version of its Windows Defender anti-spyware utility. Windows Defender is a product of the Microsoft acquisition of GIANT Software. Previously known as Windows AntiSpyware, after a two years beta period it's now available for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 under the name Windows Defender. Windows Defender incorporates Real-Time Protection to monitor systems for spyware activity, automated spyware removal with scheduled scans, full integration with Internet Explorer 7.0 and automatic spyware definition updates from Microsoft. Windows Defender is available freely to all customers running a genuine copy of Windows. Microsoft has also announced that customers will each be allowed to report two support incidents for free with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Source: DailyTech

malware, May 1, 2020
  4. Windows Defender not as good as other Windows security suites - PC Mag

Good alternative to Windows Defender on 8.1

I had to do a format and reinstall on my main rig, and thought I may as well upgrade to 8.1. My only real gripe is my Downloads folder lagging like hell, which I've read is due to Windows Defender. Now I really like MSE/Windows Defender because it's unobtrusive and lets me do what I want to do without pissing me off. Several attempts to try another antivirus program have always resulted in me going back to MSE (either due to viral infection or general annoyance). The lagging, while not an issue per se, is annoying the hell out of me. So I'd like suggestions for a good, free alternative that will be unobtrusive, not try to block everything I want to do (I'm smart enough to know what I'm doing), and not make my PC lag even when running a schedules scan.

Thanks.

Red_Machine, May 1, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender not as good as other Windows security suites - PC Mag

1. Windows Defender not as good as other Windows security suites - PC Mag - Similar Threads - Defender security suites

2. Windows Xp Suite Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Xp Suite Security: With Windows XP sp1-3 and standard being end of support how vulnerable are the non-desktop devices that still use these OSs? What are the best practices now? Truly curious as cyber security concerns are growing...
  3. Windows Xp Suite Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Xp Suite Security: With Windows XP sp1-3 and standard being end of support how vulnerable are the non-desktop devices that still use these OSs? What are the best practices now? Truly curious as cyber security concerns are growing...
  4. windows 11,microsoft edge- charter security suite windows defender/f-secure

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 11,microsoft edge- charter security suite windows defender/f-secure: hello all- seen a few entries,but, not clear answers? running w-11,micro-edge. windows defender actively running. have charter security suite- f-secure included. f-secure is prompting me to "turn on micro-edge extensions" for security? will this work w/ defender?what happens...
  5. Is Windows 10 security like Windows defender pretty good

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is Windows 10 security like Windows defender pretty good: Or should I be trying to get a third party software to protect I've never really put any research into the security on a computer, for some reason to me that tells me this in my head "It's going to slow you down disable it just be careful" which I know is highly stupid.........
  6. Is Windows Defender good enough?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is Windows Defender good enough?: I've been using Avast and Avg ever since I had a pc and recently its getting really annoying with its popups, and I'm looking for a new antivirus and I'm wondering is the windows Defender good enough to use as my normal everyday antivirus? submitted by /u/Aqua853 [link]...
  7. Is WIndows Defender good enough?

Is WIndows Defender good enough?: Is WIndows Defender bundled with Windows 10 good enough for protection or do business users require paid for products? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-windows-defender-good-enough/97597a37-ed1a-4011-a0f9-bf7a5a13fe0f
  8. Windows defender is it good enough

Windows defender is it good enough: is it safe to just use windows defender or i need to get another 3rd party antivirus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-is-it-good-enough/f5be4afc-1cda-47f9-b6b5-c55ba5780da4"
  9. Windows Defender vs. Norton Security Suite

Windows Defender vs. Norton Security Suite: Good morning all! I'm a few weeks into Windows 10. I uninstalled Norton Security Suite (free from Comcast) to install the upgrade. Windows Defender is doing its thing (I'm sure), but now I'm looking for thoughts on these two AV programs that are both available free to me....
  10. Windows Defender - is it THAT good?

Windows Defender - is it THAT good?: Until fairly recently, I have always used a third party AV program (have used both free and paid for programs) In addition I have used malwarebytes free, and the occasional use of ADWCleaner. Since going entirely to Windows defender, I have never had a report of malware...