Windows 10: Windows Defender not detecting infected zip files.

Discus and support Windows Defender not detecting infected zip files. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am able to open and run infected zip files without any warning by Windows Defender on Windows 10,while Kaspersky was alerted to that very same... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by marons1, Dec 16, 2018.

1. marons1 Win User

Windows Defender not detecting infected zip files.

I am able to open and run infected zip files without any warning by Windows Defender on Windows 10,while Kaspersky was alerted to that very same infected zip file as an alert showed up on screen and blocked any chance of opening it, and placed that infected file in quarantine , and how do you explain that?. All antiviruses should be fully alert to an infected zip file download and after opening it ?,than not detect it and the hidden malware just took over? . Even Eicar test files can bypass Windows Defender as it has been tested also from the A.M.T.S.O website, while my installed Kaspersky free warning shows up on the screen...?.Kingsoft P.C Doctor after its installed seems to be fully alert way more than W.D? ,when downloading Eicar test files? ,as warnings showed up in red on screen. So how can one say W.D in 2018 is better than its rivals after just doing a basic fake malware detection test?...

***Title modified from: Infected Zip Files?***

:)

marons1, Dec 16, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

.zip can't be set to File Explorer

Hello Kathleen,

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Default programs
      in the search bar and press enter

• Click on choose default programs by file type

• Select .zip
      and select File Explorer
    Also you can visit the below link Zip and unzip files.
    (Steps applies to Windows 10).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/zip-unzip-files

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Dec 16, 2018
  3. Windows Defender notification of malware detection

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate your continued patience on this issue.

At this point, I suggest you to update the Windows Defender program and check if it helps.

To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also, check if the detection is of the same malware file or not. Again, see if it is any specific program or a file you try to access which triggers the detection.

Additionally, view the log in Event Viewer to check if the malware is removed every time it is prompted.

To open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.
    You can view Windows Defender "Operational" events in Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender.

Kindly keep us posted, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 16, 2018
  4. Windows Defender not detecting infected zip files.

Access denied to zip file

Hi Stephanie,

The issue that you're experiencing may be due to a corrupted user profile. We have found a workaround regarding the "Access denied" error. Kindly follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + E to open File Explorer.
    • Copy the files that you want to zip.
    • Paste it in the Downloads folder.
    • From there, zip your file. You may follow the steps provided in this
      article

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender not detecting infected zip files.

1. Windows Defender not detecting infected zip files. - Similar Threads - Defender detecting infected

2. my computer is infected with Tool:AndroidOs multiverze trojan, defender detected it but...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    my computer is infected with Tool:AndroidOs multiverze trojan, defender detected it but...: My friend sent me an apk file, now I am infected with a trojan. microsoft safety scanner also detected 12 infected files, but at the end it showed everything's clean....
  3. Windows Defender MpOav.dll is infected

Windows Defender MpOav.dll is infected: Hello, my Windows Defender's MpOav.dll file is infected by the Floxif virus. How can I make it cleaned?VirusTotalPath to MpOav.dll file:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2203.5-0\X86\MpOav.dll...
  4. My laptop is infected, but Windows defender or other antivirus don't detect anything

My laptop is infected, but Windows defender or other antivirus don't detect anything: HELP!Something is using my RAM in a very excessive amount. I only have like 4 GB and it's literally using 3.6 GB of it while there is nothing running. I noticed this because when I opened Minecraft, it showed an enormous lag, and it crashed. When I checked the Task manager,...
  5. 4 files infected detected

4 files infected detected: 4 files infected detected after a FULL scan from Window Defender, but when finished the scan. Nothing was found. It said No viruses or spyware. What's the problem?...
  6. FILES INFECTED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FILES INFECTED: HiHow do i find these files and fix them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-infected/23742b57-e791-4323-ba8b-873c7f3eee3f
  7. Infected files

Infected files: All Drive were wiped and reformated. Windows 10 PRO reinstalled. Ran well for one day. Now Microsoft safety scanner findes 19 infected files, run the scanner and it finds one file that Malwareytes says is not a infected file, but a procces file it uses to suppress a Winsow...
  8. Windows Defender Detects Safe file as Virus

Windows Defender Detects Safe file as Virus: My computer recognizes virus-free files as viruses, Why does she do this? please help [ATTACH] [Original Title: problem] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-detects-safe-file-as-virus/07ee1237-2725-42d4-8fba-0445630a6add
  9. Virus infected MS Defender

Virus infected MS Defender: I am on windows 10, a program asked me to disable defender to continue the install, I stupidly did, now a virus slowing my laptop and controlling my browsers default search engines, etc.. ,also it adds exclusions automatically to defender to specific things like (Windows...
  10. Infected Zip Files?

Infected Zip Files?: I am able to open and run infected zip files without any warning by Windows Defender on Windows 10,while Kaspersky was alerted to that very same infected zip file as an alert showed up on screen and blocked any chance of opening it, and placed that infected file in...