Windows 10: Windows Defender not opening/crashing

Discus and support Windows Defender not opening/crashing in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I try to open windows defender, it keeps crashing. First I clicked the windows defender logo, and after that the logo shows up but crashes... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by [USER] Jake, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Windows Defender not opening/crashing

When I try to open windows defender, it keeps crashing. First I clicked the windows defender logo, and after that the logo shows up but crashes instantly. I tried restarting PC, nothing happened, trying to open it in Safe Mode, nothing happened. But I recently discovered that the Windows Defender is missing from the services.msc, I also tried, DSIM, SFC etc. but still its crashing. Please help I don't know how to bring back windows defender. I am not planning of resetting because I have important files and I have no backup. I have no system restore for older version so I cannot revert back.

:)

[USER] Jake, Nov 19, 2020
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Nov 19, 2020
  3. DenOGun Win User
    Windows Defender Security Centre crashes on opening

Every time I try to open Windows Defender Security Centre, the window opens and closes immediately. There is no error logged in the event logs.

The old Windows Defender interface - MSASCui.exe opens just fine; the problem lies with MSASCuiL.exe which crashes instantly after opening.

I do not have any other antivirus software installed, nor have I ever. Scans with Microsoft Safety Scanner and MSASCui.exe do not find any malware.

Steps tried

1. All the steps listed here on the troubleshooting article.

2. sfc /scannow reveals no problems

3. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth completes successfully but to no avail

4. Clean boot performed

5. In-place install performed

6. Attempted to open in safe mode

None of the steps above seem to work.

I am using a desktop I built myself, running windows 10 v1703 build 15063.632. The Defender Security Centre has worked in the past but for some strange reason has not for the past week, or so I noticed.

Please do assist - a clean fresh install is however not an acceptable solution as this is a critical work computer.

DenOGun, Nov 19, 2020
  4. Windows Defender not opening/crashing

all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender not opening/crashing

1. Windows Defender not opening/crashing - Similar Threads - Defender opening crashing

2. Windows Defender crashing when opening protection history.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender crashing when opening protection history.: Windows Defender crashing when opening protection history. My Windows 10 is updated.What can i do ?Thanks for your help !Windows log :Nom de l’application défaillante SecHealthUI.exe, version : 10.0.19041.2075, horodatage : 0xff3411feNom du module défaillant : KERNELBASE.dll,...
  3. Windows Defender crashing when opening protection history.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender crashing when opening protection history.: Windows Defender crashing when opening protection history. My Windows 10 is updated.What can i do ?Thanks for your help !Windows log :Nom de l’application défaillante SecHealthUI.exe, version : 10.0.19041.2075, horodatage : 0xff3411feNom du module défaillant : KERNELBASE.dll,...
  4. Windows Defender crashing when opening protection history.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Defender not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender not opening: Hi,I am having windows defender in the apps list, but still does not open...whenever is click it, it gives me the following message:-How can i solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-not-opening/8690741c-3c67-498b-a594-3ebc10c1289e
  6. Windows Defender will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender will not open: Hello Windows Defender does not open after updating Windows, and by clicking on the icon it shows an error you need a new program to open this Windows Defender link...
  7. Windows Defender will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender will not open: Hello Windows Defender does not open after updating Windows, and by clicking on the icon it shows an error you need a new program to open this Windows Defender link...
  8. Windows defender not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender not opening: Hello there, A couple of weeks ago, I have upgraded to Windows 11 as part of the insider program and I want to turn off VBS because it doesn't perform very well. When trying to disable VBS, I ran into a problem with Windows Security where it would open for a second with a...
  9. Windows defender crashing when i open windows security

Windows defender crashing when i open windows security: Hi , i have a problem with windows defender, when i open windows defender ,crashing my windows defender how to fix that ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-crashing-when-i-open-windows/f9d98904-d7e6-4708-835e-5654b8e39ceb
  10. Windows Defender Will Not Open

Windows Defender Will Not Open: I am using Windows 10. Today, I downloaded a picture from a Google search. My computer froze immediately afterwards. I tried to open Windows Defender to run a security check. Nothing happened. I tried several different ways to open it and all resulted in nothing happening so...