Windows 10: Windows Defender not responding

Discus and support Windows Defender not responding in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Im unable to see any Windows Defender settings. Tray icon does not respond to anything. There is no option to check any file with Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KtD92, Sep 29, 2020.

1. KtD92 Win User

Windows Defender not responding

Hello,

Im unable to see any Windows Defender settings.

Tray icon does not respond to anything.

There is no option to check any file with Windows Defender that is how I found out that something is wrong.

If I navigate into Control Panels>Update&Security>Windows Security>Open Windwos Security i see this: Windows Defender not responding 4a3dc7ab-085f-42c2-a479-bb173e0d9659?upload=true.jpg

I tried to start computer with minimal startup - no effect.
    I tried to check for Windows Update, but the search for Update never ends.
    I tried doing "sfc /scannow", few corupted files were found and repaired but with no effect on Windows Defender.

I have no standalone anti-virus software currently active.

Please help.

Have a nice day,
    P.K.

:)

KtD92, Sep 29, 2020
  2. hellrazor Win User

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Sep 29, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Defender not responding :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Windows Defender not responding

Windows Defender automatically disabled

Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode and check if the Windows Defender works.

Method 1:

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select
      Safe mode and then press Enter.

Step 2: Try to
    run the Windows Defender in safe mode

Steps:

• Press Windows key and type Windows Defender.
    • Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
    • It may prompts you to enter the password.

Method 2: If the issue still persists, place the computer in normal mode and check for the Windows Defender services.

Step 1: Place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press
      Enter
    • In the System Configuration
      window, click on General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: Once you are in normal mode, I suggest you to check for the
    Windows Defender services.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type services.msc and press
      Enter
    • Search for Windows Defender, right click on it and
      start the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    • Do the same for Windows Defender Network Inspection Service.
    • Now check if you are able to access Windows Defender.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender not responding

1. Windows Defender not responding - Similar Threads - Defender responding

2. Since the download of KB 5007651 My taskbar MS Defender does nor respond?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Since the download of KB 5007651 My taskbar MS Defender does nor respond?: I used to be able to rt. mouse click on my taskbar defender & get 3 - 4 choices 1. Update the Defender, 2. run a quick scan. Now I cannot un-pin it, or use it in any manner? No Error message. Nothing at all....
  3. Since the download of KB 5007651 My taskbar MS Defender does nor respond?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Since the download of KB 5007651 My taskbar MS Defender does nor respond?: I used to be able to rt. mouse click on my taskbar defender & get 3 - 4 choices 1. Update the Defender, 2. run a quick scan. Now I cannot un-pin it, or use it in any manner? No Error message. Nothing at all....
  4. Windows Defender Responds to Pings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Responds to Pings: McAfee transferred with little fanfare incoming firewall functions to Windows Defender. I did a GRC Shields-Up test and ports are still reported as "Stealth", but incoming ping requests are not blocked and are responded to. I have blocked ICMPv4-In, and v6-in in Core...
  5. Windows Defender Responds to Pings

Windows Defender Responds to Pings: McAfee transferred with little fanfare incoming firewall functions to Windows Defender. I did a GRC Shields-Up test and ports are still reported as "Stealth", but incoming ping requests are not blocked and are responded to. I have blocked ICMPv4-In, and v6-in in Core...
  6. Windows Defender Responds to Pings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Virus:Win32/Grenam.VA!MSR,not responding to microsoft window defender security in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus:Win32/Grenam.VA!MSR,not responding to microsoft window defender security in windows 11: virus win32/grenam .va!msr not responding to microsoft windows security in windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viruswin32grenamvamsrnot-responding-to-microsoft/bd7b4ee5-793c-46c8-9557-b4b268aa9980
  8. Virus:Win32/Grenam.VA!MSR,not responding to microsoft window defender security in windows 11

Virus:Win32/Grenam.VA!MSR,not responding to microsoft window defender security in windows 11: virus win32/grenam .va!msr not responding to microsoft windows security in windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viruswin32grenamvamsrnot-responding-to-microsoft/bd7b4ee5-793c-46c8-9557-b4b268aa9980
  9. Windows Defender Firewall causing 'the site took too long to respond' in all browsers

Windows Defender Firewall causing 'the site took too long to respond' in all browsers: Acer laptop / Windows 10 Windows Defender firewall has suddenly started causing all browsers on my Acer laptop to time out with the 'site took too long to respond' message. When I switch off Defender Firewall for public network settings, the browsers work normally. A...
  10. Windows Defender Firewall causing 'the site took too long to respond' in all browsers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Defender Firewall causing 'the site took too long to respond' in all browsers: Acer laptop / Windows 10 Windows Defender firewall has suddenly started causing all browsers on my Acer laptop to time out with the 'site took too long to respond' message. When I switch off Defender Firewall for public network settings, the browsers work normally. A...