Windows 10: Windows Defender not working or updating

Discus and support Windows Defender not working or updating in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 Home Single Language version 1903. Windows Defender Current Definitions Version: 1.263.71.0 (I guess, check the image) Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by minecrafter2973, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Windows Defender not working or updating

I am using Windows 10 Home Single Language version 1903.

Windows Defender Current Definitions Version: 1.263.71.0 (I guess, check the image)

Windows Defender Latest Definitions Version: 1.295.49.0

I had some antivirus softwares installed and removed over time, but now I want to use Windows Defender and it is not working at all.

• When I open the Windows Security app, there is no green tick on the "Virus and threat protection" box. When I open "Virus and threat protection", it shows "No current threats", "Last scan: Not Available", "Security Intelligence is up to date" and "No action needed" for both "Virus and threat protection settings" and "Ransomware protection".
    • When I click on "Quick Scan", the scan starts but does not ends, instead it gets stuck on 0%.
    • When I click on "Manage Settings" under "Virus and threat protection settings", everything including "Real-Time Protection" is OFF and I am not able to switch it ON, it automatically switches OFF whenever I try to switch it ON.
    • When I click on "Check for updates" under "Virus & threat protection updates", it shows:

Security Intelligence:

Version created on: Not Available

Last Update: Not Available

• When I click on "Check for updates under "Virus & threat protection updates", and then click on "Check for updates", it starts checking but never finishes, in fact, it does not even start downloading the new update.

(I tried all methods with and without 'Administrator Mode', so please don't suggest that)

I ran the following command in an elevated cmd and got "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

sfc /scannow

I tried the solutions given here. I tried triggering an update using this batch file:

cd %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender
    MpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures

MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate

and got error 0x80070005:

Windows Defender not working or updating 0d38ddcb-1d5d-4606-8299-56717db0acd1?upload=true.jpg

Now, I went through this post and tried the solutions given there for this error and some more solutions I found online (listed):

• I downloaded 2 files: "win10-mpam-feX64" & "mpam-fe" from Microsoft's website and tried to run them to manually install the new definitions, but the setup never starts. When I click on them, they are shown as a process in the Task Manager but the next moment they are not there in the processes' list.
    • I went to this link, as suggested by 'Harkanwar Singh' in the post in 'Method 1' I mentioned above, and tried to run the two scripts first. The first script didn't run, it opens and closes without doing anything. The second script ran and gave no errors, but there was no change overall. I then followed the manual steps given in that link and first of all, I got an error in the third step:

Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

It shows: " Could Not Find C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat ". Then in the 6th step where I have to reregister the BITS files and the Windows Update files, I get either of the following:

a.) Module successfully loaded.

b.) The module "..." was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

c.) The module "..." failed to load. .... The specified module could not be found.

1. regsvr32.exe atl.dll (a)
    2. regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll (a)
    3. regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll (b)
    4. regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll (b)
    5. regsvr32.exe browseui.dll (b)
    6. regsvr32.exe jscript.dll (a)
    7. regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll (a)
    8. regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll (a)
    9. regsvr32.exe msxml.dll (c)
    10. regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll (a)
    11. regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll (a)
    12. regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll (a)
    13. regsvr32.exe softpub.dll (a)
    14. regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll (a)
    15. regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll (a)
    16. regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll (a)
    17. regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll (c)
    18. regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll (c)
    19. regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll (c)
    20. regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll (a)
    21. regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll (a)
    22. regsvr32.exe ole32.dll (a)
    23. regsvr32.exe shell32.dll (a)
    24. regsvr32.exe initpki.dll (c)
    25. regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll (a)
    26. regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll (b)
    27. regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll (c)
    28. regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll (c)
    29. regsvr32.exe wups.dll (a)
    30. regsvr32.exe wups2.dll (a)
    31. regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll (c)
    32. regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll (b)
    33. regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll (c)
    34. regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll (c)
    35. regsvr32.exe muweb.dll (c)
    36. regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll (c)

• I then tried this but could not restart the service, the option was grayed out:
      1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type services.msc and hit enter.

3. Search for Windows Defender service, right click and stop the service and start the service, or restart it.

4. Try to use Windows Defender and check if it helps.

• I then tried this but again got nothing because the registry values were already 0:

1. Press Windows Key + R

2. Type regedit

3. Locate the following path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS DEFENDER\

4. Right Click this file and select permissions

5. Press Advanced

6. Where it says owner press change

7. Change the owner to your username

8. Now press apply then ok

9. Select Full Control from the permissions menu (Click the Windows Defender folder)

10. Find the value Disable AntiSpyWare and Disable Antivirus and set these values to 0. (Explanation: double click each and where the 1 is put 0 and press ok)

11. Open services.msc

12. Find Windows Defender

13. There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service and Windows Defender Network

14. Right click each and press start

15. After you have started both restart your computer

16. Run Windows Defender

• I then ran this command but got "CmdTool: Failed with hr = 0x800704EC. Check C:\Users\TANIS_~1\AppData\Local\Temp\MpCmdRun.log for more information"

"%programfiles%\windows defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -wdenable

In the end, it didn't work. If someone can help me by giving me a new method or by suggesting changes in any one of the methods I used before, it would really be very helpful to me.

:)

minecrafter2973, Jun 4, 2019

2. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jun 4, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Jun 4, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Windows Defender not working or updating

Windows Defender not working after win 10 update

Hi,

Conflicts with the Windows Defender settings after the update is one of the possible reasons why it is not working. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Do you have a third-party security software installed?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps in this
    Forum Article
    that was provided by PrashantKumar96 to resolve Windows Defender issues.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eric Ber, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender not working or updating

1. Windows Defender not working or updating - Similar Threads - Defender working updating

2. Windows Defender & Windows Update Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender & Windows Update Not Working: Questions can't be assigned 2 sub-topics from different main topics, so I had 2 post the same thing in 2 different...
  3. Windows Defender & Windows Update Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender & Windows Update Not Working: Questions can't be assigned 2 sub-topics from different main topics, so I had 2 post the same thing in 2 different...
  4. Windows Defender & Windows Update Not Working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender & Windows Update Not Working: My Windows Defender & Windows Update is producing errors & are not workingI am 95% sure Windows Update is broken as a result of Windows Defender being initially broken upon install, I think I broke defender more: listed belowBroken Howso:Windows Defender:When I open...
  5. Windows update and defender aren't working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update and defender aren't working.: Hi everyone this is my first time posting here. I randomly checked my windows defender one day and found it to be shut down and not running. When I click the protection history on the Windows security app it just crashes at the same time the security app is just blank....
  6. Windows defender not working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender not working after update: My computer pulled in updates a few days ago, and now windows defender isn't working. It says that the threat service has stopped. Restart it now. I clicked the button, and waited. it then threw an error. I ran a scan with another program, and came up clean. How can i fix...
  7. Windows Defender and Update not working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender and Update not working.: Hey there, my windows defender stopped operating normally and became like this I tried finding a solution online, most people said try to to run windows update but ran into another error 0x80070424 I tried troubleshooting as well but it keeps on doing the same thing Your...
  8. Windows Update + Defender Not Working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update + Defender Not Working?: I'm not sure if this is because of a recent update but suddenly Windows Update and Defender no longer seem to be working? I only noticed this because the Defender icon on the bottom right wasn't showing up anymore. Error code 0x80070424 randomly appeared on the Update screen...
  9. Windows Defender not working after update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not working after update: After I recently updated windows, I had a few problems like -a black screen after sign-in -80-100% cpu usage on idle -Windows Defender crashing when I open it -No sound from the speakers So i reset my PC keeping my personal files, which did absolutely nothing. I fixed...
  10. Windows Update Issue And Windows Defender Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Issue And Windows Defender Not Working: When I Click Windows Update I Got An Error Message Also My Windows Defender Antivirus Not Working There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 mpam-fe.exe wont run